I weighed my van today

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
6400 pounds
1996 Chevrolet Express conversion van  1/2 ton

Your toughts
Heavy or light? 

This weight is with the seats removed and all of my van gear added such as
Feather light rigid partition
18 gallon water tank full
Water heater and shower
Big metal propane tank Locker 
Propane tank 
2  house batteries
5000 btu window air conditioner
Honda 2000 genset
Microwave
40# subwoofer
Dometic 12 volt freezer fridge 
Furnace
Food
Cloths
Running boards
Two 6.5" speakers in boxes
Xtra muffler
Battery charger

well I wouldn't call it lite. if those figures John quoted are legit you are good to go. highdesertranger

It's lighter than my pickup truck is when it's empty, so I'd have to say that it could definitely be worse for a full size van. In the picture it looks like it's riding pretty level, but take a second look at your headlight alignment on the finished product just to be sure. Loaded full time, the springs will probably take a set over time, you can counteract with air bags, helper springs, or just let it settle gracefully into the old van "gangster lean." It seems like half-tons are more prone to this - but probably just because they are easier to overload, having a lower payload capacity. Looks really good from the outside!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
According to this source:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...formation-kits/G-Van/1996-Chevrolet-G-Van.pdf

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for your van should be 7100 to 7300 pounds.  Looks like you're good.

I never thought to weigh the van to get its weight in the stock configuration with the seats in , any body know what this van is suppose to weigh when its stock ? 
When I was adding stuff I was trying to keep it the same weight , for example I removed the huge fold down bed probably 200# and two bucket seats probably 50# each , removed some other stuff so I probably removed a total of 400# .
I think I added 500# .
So I'm hoping my weght didn't change much .

You know, the figures I quoted are for a stock Express Van.  Now that I've had a closer look at your picture, I'm thinking your van was built by a specialty company.  I don't think that roof was ever stock from the factory.  It's possible the specialty company beefed up the brakes and suspension, maybe.

I also noticed you didn't say whether it was a G10, G20, or G30.  Nothing on the vehicle to indicate?  If you could post the VIN#, we could probably work that out.

Anyway, G10 is 7100 lbs., G20 is 8600 lbs., and G30 is 9500 lbs.

@ Optimistic Paranoid
Its a g10
My guess would be that the conversion company didn't upgrade the suspension because everything else they did looked like a budget job.
I was wondering if them figures included the high top roof?

Go weigh all the crap you took out add it to the stock weight and you probably have your answer.

ZoNiE said:
Go weigh all the crap you took out add it to the stock weight and you probably have your answer.

I don't know the stock weight.

All the information available here is just too general. Have you looked for the tire label on the door frame or in the glove box? Most 1/2 ton trucks fall closer to 6000 than 7000

I know this may be apples and oranges, but I checked my junk. My 1/2 ton 1990 chevy is 5600 pounds GVW. My 1987 Dodge 3/4 ton is 6700 pounds GVW.