Minivan/Van Test, Input Requested

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
Since 2009 I've been traveling solo in my '04 Prius. I'm a part-timer. I love driving and living out of my car for months at a time. Next year, however, I plan to spend the winter in the desert SW as a snowbird. This is different for me. Usually I'm on the road, putting on the miles instead of staying in place. So, I'm thinking of trying out a larger vehicle than the Prius. Something that would allow for more interior comforts should I need to avoid bad weather, and would include enough space to bring our medium-size dog with me.

In addition to wanting more interior space this winter, I'm also thinking of long term possibilities. The unexpected and inevitable will happen as my husband and I age. So, I want to see if full-time van dwelling is a good fit for me should it become my lifestyle choice in the future.

Here are some features that I'd like for this minivan/van test:
-white exterior (stays cooler)
-mechanically sound (1500 miles between WA & Desert SW)
-under $3000 (preferably closer to $2000)
-2000 model or newer (local CL shows most have 150-200K+ miles for price)
-windows all around (if stuck inside, I want to see out)
-20+ highway MPG
-Not too beat-up on the exterior or interior

I will have the minivan/van mechanically inspected before purchase.

I'd like a minivan/van where I can move easily from the driver's seat into the back living area without going outside (i.e., no center console). I'd like to start with a passenger minivan/van (vs. cargo), to avoid needing to finish the walls and ceilings.

I plan to remove the back seats to set up the living space. And, I'd turn the front passenger seat around to include it in my living space, if possible. I'll install vinyl flooring, add eye-brow awnings, tint the windows, install screens & curtains, and secure the “furniture” to the body/frame. If it's a minivan, I'd like a sunroof, or a fan/vent in a full-size van. With the exception of a suitcase solar panel system, I have about all I need to set it up inside (including -- kitchen gear, bathroom set-up, 12v Dometic fridge/freezer, bed, counter/shelving, storage containers, Olympian 3 heater, even a little 12v swamp cooler).

So, what more should I consider as I look for this used minivan/van? For example, I've been told that the Ford Windstar's transmissions are especially poor. Are Honda & Toyota minivans as dependable as their other models? Is there anything I'm missing as I put together this minivan/van test for next winter?

Your critique of these ideas is much appreciated.

Suanne

Not sure of others , but Chrysler/Dodge has the "stow and go" where the rear seats all fold flat which might suit your needs. If removed, there is a drop floor section good for under floor storage. It was an option in the older vans, now it's standard. MPG will be around 23. The stated budget might be tuff, you don't get too much for $2k there days!

Thanks Bdog.

If I need to go to $3K, I will. I'd rather sacrifice $ than safety. If I do get the Stow & Go seats with a minivan, I'd probably remove them and use the space for storage.

Also, I should also mention that I want more ground clearance too ... 6-9 inches.

Suanne

I had a Ford Aerostar that had over 200K when I sold it and still running strong. I've heard a lot of good things about the Dodge minis too.
I think the GMC Savana has a bit more ground clearance.

All of those get pretty good MPGs.

We like our window van. We can cover the ones we don't want to use and still have plenty of view.

I think I'd look more in the $3K range and try to find one with lower miles.

Thanks Jay. I'm getting the feeling from the feedback that $2K just isn't going to be enough. Thanks for the leads on specific makes/models, too. Suanne

Check out an older Kia minivan. Lots of space, reliable and inexpensive. There is a thread on here (with pics) showing the benefits of several minivans.

We had a 2001 Kia that I'm really glad we were able to get shed of,
That thing was an under powered piece of crap. Looked good, had all the goodies, but it couldn't pull a hill worth a hoot with anything more than 2 people in it, certainly not with stuff for living. It was bad about over heating in 100+ weather, eventho the cooling system was in good shape.
Today, Tucson is expecting 107 and there's no way we would have been able to drive it on a day like this. The Aerostar was my "go do it" vehicle.

(BTW....Phoenix is expecting 109 today) :s:s

Here in Flagstaff, we looking for about 85. Cottonwood/Sedona area 101.
In Az you can choose temps by elevation :)

Couldn't resist throwing in the weather report :D

Jay, I had an 05 Kia Sedona for five years. The only money I ever put into it was for a power window motor. Pulled a 17 foot camper all over the place with two other people and 7 dogs. A friend also has an 05 with over 200,000 miles on it and still running. They tote a dozen cases of wine at a time for their business. Maybe they improved since you had yours.

7 dogs???? Good greif!!!

I had a Plymouth Voyager (same thing as a Dodge Caravan...just a different nameplate). I inherited it from my father, and it was a great little rig! (My father was onna those guys who NEVER bought anything without consulting the "Consumer's Reports" FIRST.) So it had high customer satisfaction rating, got good gas mileage, and had a good drivetrain.

I'd do one again in a heartbeat.

Thanks all.

Decodancer, I studied that thread about the minivans, and specifically the Kia's interior which looked really good. Unfortunately, I don't think an '05 is in my budget.

Jay, Good to know that the earlier Kia's are probably not a good choice ... especially since those are the ones I'm seeing here on CL at my price point. (BTW, It'll get to a high of 70 here in western WA. Glad you are in Flagstaff.)

Patrick, That information on the Voyager/Caravan is very useful. Your father sounds like my kind of guy, doing his research first!

Suanne

Travel trailer, I gal on top bunk with her one small dog, one gal on dinette with her three small dogs, me on bottom bunk with my two small dogs. Big dog on floor. The three of us traveled in the van another time and both tent camped (me in van) and stayed in a hotel. Walked dogs in shifts so nobody would guess how many we had.

I have the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan long wheelbase model with Stow&Go seating. The ground clearance is very low. Taking out the middle and rear seats gives three goog sized stowage bins. You'd need to make top covers. These minivans have center consoles, but they are easily removable. Inside room and height are a bit cramped, though the approximately eight feet of cargo area is nice. Plenty of room for us tall guys to stretch out. Their one weak point is their electronics. I have occasional glitches. The largest V6 engine (3.8L) is decently powerful. My mileage averages 18+ and up to 25MPG on the highway.
The longer wheelbase Chevy Astro is taller and boxier inside with more room. It has a full truck frame, based on the common S10 truck frame. From what I have read owners like them. Maintenance would be easier I think.

The Caravan with 199,000 miles is getting a bit high on the mileage.

The caravan also has a 4 cylinder, probably underpowered for a minivan IMO.

My mom has an Oldsmobile Silohette, they loved, loved, loved it. Great MPG and super reliable.

Hydundai/Kia today are surprisingly good rigs, but in the beginning they were very poor. If you can't get a newer one, don't get one.

Honda/Toyota are great but they really hold their resale because of it. Reducto has an older one with the mid-engine. That engine came out of their forklifts of all things and is literally an industrial engine. You could get one of those in your price range.

Have you ruled out Astros? Their MPG isn't the best, but they are proven and affordable.

Wishing you the best in your search!

I'm assuming we will get the pleasure of your company all winter now!! Yeeeaaah!!!!
Bob

LeeRevell, PastTense, RVTravel & Bob: Thanks much for the information you gave on some of my minivan/van options.

I'm glad to know that the Caravan's ground clearance isn't very good. That wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but given the choice, I'd prefer a higher clearance.

I really do like the Astro/Safari vans. And the newer ones get better gas mileage too. But, currently they are out of my budget.

I'll also check out Reducto's rig to see if I can find something similar in the Seattle area.

I'm starting to wonder if I should put off getting a minivan/van until I can save more money. The ones in my budget right now have at least 150K miles on them. In order to save the maximum, I could get a minivan/van around the first of December, secure the furniture, make a sleeping space, pack it up, and leave just after the New Year. I could then finish it up (flooring, curtains, suitcase solar, etc.) while I'm wintering in the SW.

In the meantime, tho', I'll keep checking Craigslist just in case a real deal pops up in my area.

Suanne ... with patience and persistence

Suanne, definitely look into the Toyota Previa. The Previa was produced from 1991-1997 and was the successor to the 1980s Toyota van like Reducto has. It also features a mid-engine design and is quite literally one of the most reliable vehicles that Toyota ever produced. These vans will go forever if you know how to take care of them. They are more spacious than most minivans, the all-wheel drive models handle fantastically in the snow, and they glide along almost effortlessly on long drives.

I have a white 1991 Previa that I am currently converting and plan to go full-time in it later this year. I bought it for $2000 with 215,000 miles on it and it has been absolutely rock solid for me for going on 2+ years now. You can find a good one in your price range but you have to know what to look for, and how to avoid some of the faults that commonly show up when you are looking for used Previas. They can at first seem intimidating to maintain due to the engine placement (on its side in the front-middle of the chassis), but they really are pretty simple and straightforward; when I first bought mine I knew zilch about automotive repair/maintenance and have since learned to do all of my own work on my Previa. Parts are often available in scrap yards. Being in Seattle I would encourage you to go and talk to Samay who runs a shop called GarageTuner Automotive. He is one of the most knowledgeable people in the country when it comes to Previas and may even have a few for sale.

If you find yourself intrigued by the Previa I have lots and lots of resources and bookmarked web pages that I can share with you.