Please help w/ Pros & Cons of Tall Ford Transit vs Box Van…

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost bought a step van years ago to build out. Found a great deal and man oh man I was ready.

Then I realized I had kids in school and lived in an apartment with no parking for cars, let alone a step van.

There have been some great step van builds on here over the years, and I still think it's a great platform for a build. There are some downsides, but man you can build it nice.

Updated comparison that includes step van this time…

FORD TRANSIT VAN PROS: Better MPG. Smooth drive. Can stealth park in residential neighborhoods and commercial areas. Can be converted to 4WD.

FORD TRANSIT VAN CONS: Thousands more to buy (although I’m beginning to see prices drop). Tight access to engine compartment. Less room inside. Slower build due to interior curves, etc. Easier target as “rich gringo” in Mexico.

——————————————————

BOX VAN PROS: Thousands less to buy used. Roomier interior. Easy to build interior. Can stealth park in commercial areas. Would blend in better in Mexico. Can be converted to 4WD.

BOX VAN CONS: Lower MPG. Tight access in engine compartment. Can’t stealth park in residential neighborhoods.

——————————————————

STEP VAN PROS: Thousands less to buy used. Roomier interior. Easy to build interior. Aluminum body (usually). Possibly best access for working on engine. Stealth park in commercial areas. Would blend in better in Mexico.

STEP VAN CONS: Lower MPG. Can’t stealth park in residential neighborhoods. Dual rear wheels. Apparently front cab is very noisy while driving. Some claim front cab door (or doors) aren’t as secure from break-ins as regular doors. Would require modifications to make front cab comfortable for two.

Anything else?

I was as a Wendy's burger place the other day and there was this big Cocoa Cola Ford Transit Van in the parking lot and the driver was servicing the fountain machine. I told him I'd like to talk to him about the van he was driving (a very special set up for Coke) when he was finished servicing the fountain.

A bit later he had some time and he invited me out to take a look at the rig. He like it quite well overall but his only "Con" on it was driving it in high winds. Even driving behind a Tractor Trailer or being passed by one at highway speeds while on an open road wasn't comfortable for him. I explained that I have a 90 model Ford E 350 high top extended rig and I was familiar with that turbulence giving a vigorous shaking to the rig while at 60+ mph.

We've had some 50+ mph wind gust in my area recently and the Coke repairman explained he was in fear of getting blown over on his side.

A Promaster driver I met in a campground also felt uneasy in at higher speeds or in windy conditions, saying they "really respect the speed limit," and "the center of gravity... it just feels a little unsafe."

I've been reading about pros and cons concerning dualies, too. Definitely some considerations there as well.

Magenta, have you come to a final decision? What did you chose! I have been going back and forth between a small Skoolie and a box truck. I know for me the box truck is the better option, clearance, ease of build, and a few other reasons. But I love the light and openness of the Skoolie. I am considering a skylight in a box but worried about leaks. Def gonna have windows and cameras.