Please help w/ Pros & Cons of Tall Ford Transit vs Box Van…

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
I have been living full time in a Sienna minivan for the last 18 months that I converted into a super cool and comfortable mini camper so I know what I want and need. Soon I’ll be buying a used Ford Transit van (long or extended bed w/ medium or high roof) OR a used 10’-12’ non dually box van. I have the skills and tools so my plan is to build it out myself. The exterior will be as stealth as possible and interior will be simple, beautiful, lightweight and functional for full time living and traveling.

FORD TRANSIT VAN PROS: Better MPG. Can stealth park in residential neighborhoods and commercial areas. Can be converted to 4WD.

FORD TRANSIT VAN CONS: Thousands more to buy. Might be difficult to find at reasonable price. Less room inside. Slower build due to interior curves, etc. Could be targeted as “rich gringo” in Mexico.

BOX VAN PROS: Thousands less to buy. Roomier interior. Easy to build interior. Can stealth park in commercial areas. Would blend in in Mexico. Can be converted to 4WD (I think).

BOX VAN CONS: Lower MPG. Can’t stealth park in residential neighborhoods.

I’m trying to decide here so please feel free to add any pros or cons that I might have missed.

Thank you!😀

You already know which one you prefer, you have done the research. You are just here hoping for outside confirmation of your choice. No matter which you choose you will continue over the years to wonder if you should have chosen differently.

You already know which one you prefer, you have done the research. You are just here hoping for outside confirmation of your choice. No matter which you choose you will continue over the years to wonder if you should have chosen differently.
No, I really haven’t made a decision yet. I’m here because I’m wondering if I have missed a pro or con. Also, when I make a decision I rarely look back.

i vote ford transit van for the pros listed.

Some other factors to consider: insurability and drivability. The ease of obtaining and the cost of insurance are likely to be lower with a van. I used to have a 200x Ford 350 box truck. It was loud, bumpy, and unwieldy to drive. It felt like a truck. I've only a couple of hundred miles under my belt on Ford Transits. The 148" WB drive like large SUVs.

Fuel type: diesel is a harder to find, more expensive to buy, requires DEF... Bottom line, it's a hassle to deal with. Try to avoid diesel vehicles unless you have a necessitating use case.

I spent 6 months living in Oaxaca. You are a rich Gringo, and will be viewed as such, regardless of (or even without) vehicle. Especially if you're not fluent in their language.

A good condition Ford Transit will be really tough to find for a good price.

Transits like all the modern uni-body vans have poor ground clearance and little tires. They can be improved, but I think they are inherently less rugged than a older style body on frame van.

4wd upgrade... I'd say forget it... way too expensive ($20k). Get a pickup if you want that.

If this ambulance is still for sale, that may be a good option for you. https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/ambo-for-sale.48158/#post-587117

Some other factors to consider: insurability and drivability. The ease of obtaining and the cost of insurance are likely to be lower with a van. I used to have a 200x Ford 350 box truck. It was loud, bumpy, and unwieldy to drive. It felt like a truck. I've only a couple of hundred miles under my belt on Ford Transits. The 148" WB drive like large SUVs.

Fuel type: diesel is a harder to find, more expensive to buy, requires DEF... Bottom line, it's a hassle to deal with. Try to avoid diesel vehicles unless you have a necessitating use case.

I spent 6 months living in Oaxaca. You are a rich Gringo, and will be viewed as such, regardless of (or even without) vehicle. Especially if you're not fluent in their language.
A newer fancy tall Transit van screams RICH GRINGO on the road way waaaay more than a plain white box van ever could though.

A good condition Ford Transit will be really tough to find for a good price.

Transits like all the modern uni-body vans have poor ground clearance and little tires. They can be improved, but I think they are inherently less rugged than a older style body on frame van.

4wd upgrade... I'd say forget it... way too expensive ($20k). Get a pickup if you want that.

If this ambulance is still for sale, that may be a good option for you. https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/ambo-for-sale.48158/#post-587117
A pickup with a camper won’t work for me. I dont want an ambulance for two reasons… One is the creepy factor and the other is that all those nice built in storage compartments won’t work for the interior layout I plan I want.

A pickup with a camper won’t work for me.
I'm curious why a pickup wouldn't work? There are some advantages to vans but it depends on how much offroad capability you want (trucks are best). You can buy custom insulated boxes for them too.

I think it depends on where you're planning on being and how much driving you'll do.
After your minivan, either will use more fuel, so take that into account.

If you're considering a box truck. Why not consider a smaller step van? You can do most repairs from inside the vehicle, the walls are square, and you have easier access, as it's not as tall. You can go from driving to living space in seconds. Parking and stealth will be about the same as a box truck. And you can find them for a decent price.

A lot have done this, so the info is out there.

FORD TRANSIT VAN PROS: .....Can stealth park in residential neighborhoods and commercial areas. Can be converted to 4WD.
If you want to go unnoticed you need to have a vehicle that blends into a neighborhood and few neighborhoods will have high top vans or box trucks parked overnight on the street.
If you want FWD buy factory installed; you will pay more for a 4X4 conversion and they are more difficult and expensive to repair.
FORD TRANSIT VAN CONS:..... Could be targeted as “rich gringo” in Mexico.
Vehicle license plate will identify you as a 'rich gringo'.
BOX VAN PROS: .....Can stealth park in commercial areas.....
Most commercial areas have additional security that knows what vehicles belong there.
All our sheriff patrol cars have license plate readers, they know who you are.
BOX VAN CONS:
More difficult to get unstuck.
More expensive to tow.
More expensive to repair.
Too big to fit down some roads and into some campsites.
Commercial campgrounds may not accept a box truck.

I have a Ford Transit (Medium roof, Long Wheelbase) so naturally I vote for the Ford Transit for you.
As a general philosophy in life, I encourage making decisions based on love rather than on fear. "There are only 2 choices in life: love or fear. Choose love." So the way this unpacks in this situation, is that I would advise not making a decision based on how you fear you'll be perceived (eg, rich Gringo) and instead focus on choosing a vehicle that will help you create your ideal home. Eg, what would I love to be able to create, what would I love living in, what look would I love, what "feel" of a vehicle would I love.

For me all these considerations point to the Ford Transit over a box truck. It just looks so much nicer, I love how it looks. Yes it is a bit trickier to build on curved walls, but not that hard. With a box truck you'll always have a boxy, commercial feel to the setup. I haven't driven one, but I would well imagine they do not drive as comfortably as Ford Transits, which drive smoothly, the long wheelbase length (but not the extended) can be easily parked in a regular parking spot, and have a gorgeous view out the generous front windshield. Also the large sliding side door on the Transit easily opens you wide up to the natural world, which I feel makes for much better living than any entry way you could create on a box truck. Also, I think having a space where the cab is integrated with the cargo area results in a larger feeling space, than where the cab is separate from the cargo area, as in a box truck...perhaps it has a passthru door but it's not the same as a wide open connecting space. I believe the Ford Transit will be a bit more workable for a variety of roads and camping destinations.

While on my recent road trip (I'm not a full-timer) I noticed that while unleaded gas prices were $4.09 in the travel area, diesel costs were $5.73 at the same location. So diesel is not something I'd want to get into, at this time.

...full time in a Sienna... I know what I want and need. Soon I’ll be buying a used Ford Transit van...OR a used 10’-12’ non dually box van...The exterior will be as stealth...full time living and traveling.

FORD TRANSIT VAN PROS: Better MPG. Can stealth park in residential neighborhoods and commercial areas. Can be converted to 4WD.

FORD TRANSIT VAN CONS: ... targeted as “rich gringo” in [just about everyplace]...

BOX VAN PROS: Thousands less to buy. Roomier interior. Easy to build interior. Can stealth park in commercial areas. Would blend in in Mexico. Can be converted to 4WD (I think).

BOX VAN CONS: Lower MPG. Can’t stealth park in residential neighborhoods...
a)
Let's see your RequirementsStatement.
Your RequirementsStatement might include:
* souls aboard
* income
* need to move vs need to stay
* mechanical abilities
* projected duration of stay
* need for showers, meals, solitude
... and other points you feel essential.
Fuel:
We rarely travel more than a hundred miles a month.
Fuel is a very minor part of our budget.
re -- 'stealth'
I wish we could retire that word.
Based on our experience, any home-owner or business-owner is protective of their investment and their community.
We automatically view any intrusive campers as trespassing, guilty until proven guilty (you read that right).
Mexico:
* Go, have fun.
* Travel with your caravan chums, an established community of experienced travelers.
* Avoid stupit people doing stupit.
* Treat each individual respectfully, especially as a guest in their home.
Converting:
After a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we built our ExpeditionVehicle on a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck.
Cummins 505ci/8.3-liter (litre), mechanical (no computers).
Our conversion of our square box was complete in one week.
We accomplished this based on our experiences, the equipment we required, our projected use, and our need for solitude with our caravan chums.
Our time is exclusively boondocking...
... summers up rough logger tracks to remote mountain lakes...
...winters on isolated Baja beaches.
Us, camping in an established residential community in the disgusting bowels of some city?
Pass.
b)
magentawave,
Why do you need the off-pavement capability of 4wd if you need stealth in some city?
Those needs seem contradictory.

...diesel is a harder to find, more expensive to buy, requires DEF... Bottom line, it's a hassle...
a)
Our Cummins (no computers) mechanical in our ExpeditionVehicle thrives on used restaurant oil.
Pretty easy to find.
This afternoon, during a delivery to a local-owned family-operated grocery, we noticed four mark-down pallets of expired 'cooking oil', a blend of soy and corn.
Us -- "What are your plans for that?"
Them -- "Haul it to the dump..."
We made an offer on the whole shootin' match.
Accepted.
A hundred and eighty (180) gallons.
It will go straight into our rig or our old Dodge mechanical (no computers) Cummins pick-up.
The Cummins (no computers) in our tractor thrives on black-diesel, a combination of used engine oil and used restaurant oil with a few fumes from the diesel pump at the rural farm supply tanks.
Our cost?
Pretty much nothing.
Bottom line.
Of course, your experiences are something something something, and this's OK, too.
Bottom line.
b)
Does 'bottom line' refer to cocaine on a tuchus?
One wonders about such...

Last edited:
Some depends on the State you will register it in. Vans do not seem to fall into the same category at DMV as a box truck which is only considered a commercial vehicle. In Nevada it is very difficult to get insurance for an individual. I think Arizona is a lot easier.
A few years back there was a short stepvan bread truck in Reno Nv. I was interested in. I live near Las Vegas nv. I call up my insurance and give them the VIN number to get insurance to drive it home. They say sorry we do not cover commercial vehicles.
I call a commercial insurance company and they ask what is the nature of your business. I say no business just private use. They say sorry we do not insure individuals or vehicles used as an RV. I could get a handyman business license and get covered, but if I ever needed to file a claim they could claim fraud and not pay. They will take your money all the while without question.
Find out in your State what the rules are. In Nevada it is also a real pain to convert the title from Commercial to RV. They say we do not recognize you as being a builder, the electrical work needs to be done by a State licensed mechanic.

Find out in your State what the rules are. In Nevada it is also a real pain to convert the title from Commercial to RV. They say we do not recognize you as being a builder, the electrical work needs to be done by a State licensed mechanic.
Bet South Dakota wouldn't bat an eye...

Bet South Dakota wouldn't bat an eye...
Not everyone can change their domicile for the sake of a vehicle. There are many factors involved in choosing a State. Does your insurance know you live full time in a different State. Will they pay a claim or call fraud and not pay. Can you get medical care out of your domicile State, (other than emergencies). Do you have good income, do they have State income tax, do you mind going there for jury duty or license renewals. Do you own property in a different State. Can your spending be tracked to prove you actually reside in another State. The more you have to lose, the more you have to lose. Lying to the State where you spend your time, or lying to your insurance company isn't a problem. Getting caught is where the problem lies.