My van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GO SMALL, GO FAR!!!!!

Hi all you van loving Guy's and Gal's, thanks for checking this Thread

Tip of week:  Entertaining yourself on the road. I use 2 forms of keeping entertained, Reading and XM radio to stay up on
what is going on in the world. Sometimes I will read 2 books a week when spending a lot of time in camp. My XM radio is a boom
box that is powered by 12V and 110V, gives you access to tunes and news almost anywhere you have access to the clear skys.

Books are expensive, so I get mine at thrift stores, libraries to save big bucks.

Park of the week:Chiricahua National Park/Monument. Probably one of the prettiest parks, Has great hiking trails. When I was there
they didn't allow dogs on hiking trails. So check the parks you select about pooches.

Be Safe and enjoy your travels and enjoy our beautiful country.

Attachments

• Delphi XM radio.jpg
    Delphi XM radio.jpg
    267.3 KB
  • Chiricahu NM 1.jpg
    Chiricahu NM 1.jpg
    221.6 KB
  • Chiricahua NM.jpg
    Chiricahua NM.jpg
    604.3 KB
  • Chiricahua_balanced_rock.jpg
    Chiricahua_balanced_rock.jpg
    1.3 MB
GO SMALL, GO FAR!!!!

Hi all you van loving Guy\s and Gal's, thanks for checking the thread.

Tip of week: Reflectics widow covering, works great and keeps the van cooler by a lot. However you will discover that your vision to sides and
                    rear is really reduced and you must rely on rear view mirrors and change some of your driving habits to stay safe. I try and back
                    up as little as possible, as most fender benders occur during backing. Also you should go to empty parking lot and practice driving
                    with the restricted vision issues. I would equip your review mirrors with the convex mirrors to help keep your sides clear. Plus they
                    help alot on merging and clearing your right side when you need to check for traffic on less than a 90 degree entrance.

Area of week: plus a vehicle that would make a great camper and have 4x4 (photos are file)

South east AZ, lots of cool stuff to check out. Safford AZ has lots of hot springs to soak the ole bones. Tombstone AZ great historic place as is Bisbee.
Coronado National Forest has lots of camping spots, Check it out. Oh! great in winter as temps are good. Summer is a whole different issue.

Be safe and enjoy your travels and our Beautiful country

Attachments

• coronado NF halfmoon-tanks-rocks.jpg
    coronado NF halfmoon-tanks-rocks.jpg
    98.5 KB
  • Coronado-National-Forest.jpg
    Coronado-National-Forest.jpg
    751.9 KB
  • M-725.jpg
    M-725.jpg
    115.5 KB
GO SMALL GO FAR!!!!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THE THREAD!

TIP OF WEEK: Van Clam style side doors offer more flexibility that slider doors, as the can be used to provide storage, shelving and
privacy for showering and toilet issues.

PHOTO'S:  1. 1977 Dodge military M-886 4x4 converted to camper. 2-4. Organ Pipe National park/monument AZ (file photo's)

Be safe and enjoy our beautiful country!

Attachments

• M-886 Dodge 1977.jpg
    M-886 Dodge 1977.jpg
    76.2 KB
  • Organ Pipe NM 2.jpg
    Organ Pipe NM 2.jpg
    8.1 KB
  • Organ Pipe NM 1.jpg
    Organ Pipe NM 1.jpg
    7.1 KB
  • Organ Pipe NM.jpg
    Organ Pipe NM.jpg
    13.2 KB
GO SMALL, GO FAR !!!!

Hi all you van loving Guy's and Gal's, and thanks for checking this thread.

Tip of week: Fire could be a terrible event in your van, so I recommend 1 or 2 Fire extinguishers. I also think its
a very good idea to put yourself between your cook station and your side door for a fast and safe exit. This means
to me that your fire extinguisher should be a the side door entrance, so you aren't separated by the fire from your
extinguisher. Remember that a pan lid or towel is the easiest way to snuff out a skillet fire. Don't fan the flame just
smother it cutting off the oxygen supply.

Park of week: Cabeza National Wild Life Refuge, Ajo AZ.  Town offers all amenities and has a visitor center for refuge, you should
check in and get latest info on camping restrictions and leave them you plan for camping and location for safety.
The Refuge is huge and has many features to check out. Camp sites primitive. Take plenty of water. I spent 10 days
at end of road, Early spring and in fall has best temperatures. Check You Tube to see some good videos of refuge.

Pic's are file

Be safe and enjoy our beautiful country!!!!!

Attachments

• M- Camper.jpg
    M- Camper.jpg
    48.5 KB
  • Cabezx Prieta NWR AZ.jpg
    Cabezx Prieta NWR AZ.jpg
    10.8 KB
  • cabeza-prieta-nwr 02.JPG
    cabeza-prieta-nwr 02.JPG
    251.3 KB
  • cabeza-prieta-nwr01.jpg
    cabeza-prieta-nwr01.jpg
    65.4 KB
what is that Dodge? Ramcharger? with a pop up. locking hubs? what is it? highly converted. highdesertranger

I like the military truck, wish my ranger had a box like that

I love the Dodge! Look closely, it's a VW Westfalia grafted onto 3/4 ton Dodge truck. It fits so well it looks like it was done by one of those old school coach companies that did the wide body vans.

GO SMALL, GO FAR!!!!

Hi all you van loving GUY'S AND GAL'S!!! Thanks for supporting this Thread! Hope you had a fun filled
Labor Day weekend. I did some camping out and floated a nice creek in my canoe.

Tips of the week: 1. Water, I carry at least 8 gallon jugs, Milk or OJ, in Milk cartons. If in desert in hot weather I would recommend 10-12 jugs.
                           Which brings up issue of I travel the northern parts of US or in Canada in summer for more friendly mild temperatures and
                           South in winter for the more pleasant temperatures.

2. I always have 1 or more rolls of quarters for laundry mats, car washes etc.

Area of week:  Yuma AZ a great historic area to hang in winter as temperatures are rather pleasant. BLM land abounds in are for free camping and
                       outdoor activities. One need spot is Fortuna Pond east of Yuma, good campsite.                    

Older vans like pictured can be a good way to go, parts are relative cheap and maintenance easy, but old and not in good condition can mean
a real money pit. shop wisely!!!!

Attachments

• a custom ford camper.jpg
    a custom ford camper.jpg
    66.5 KB
  • a Fortuna Pond, Yuma AZ 1.jpg
    a Fortuna Pond, Yuma AZ 1.jpg
    74.4 KB
  • a Fortuna Pond, Yuma AZ.jpg
    a Fortuna Pond, Yuma AZ.jpg
    119.5 KB
  • a Fortuna Pond, Yuma AZ 2..jpg
    a Fortuna Pond, Yuma AZ 2..jpg
    119.5 KB
highdesertranger said:
what is that Dodge?  Ramcharger?  with a pop up.  locking hubs?  what is it?  highly converted.  highdesertranger

Dodge pickup, bed camper with a pop up added on top. pop up looks like off of a vw. would be a easy setup once pop up was located.

highdesertranger said:
what is that Dodge?  Ramcharger?  with a pop up.  locking hubs?  what is it?  highly converted.  highdesertranger

Better picture here shows it to be a dodge power ram or wagon with VW camper skillfully added. Its to long to be a ramcharger in my opion.

Are you going to the RTR in Jan 2017?  Am currently thinking of attending.

Attachments

• M Camper 2.jpg
    M Camper 2.jpg
    48.6 KB
looks like they did a good job. it's definitely a long bed and appears to be a 1 ton. yes I will be going to RTR. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
looks like they did a good job.  it's definitely a long bed and appears to be a 1 ton.  yes I will be going to RTR.  highdesertranger

Hopefully will see you there, what type of rig do you have, I will be in my Astro Van. Best and happy trails

GO SMALL,GO FAR !!!!

HELLO ALL YOU GUY'S AND GAL'S, AND THANKS FOR CHECKING THIS THREAD.

Thanks to Highdesertdrifter for sharing picture of his rig, a go anywhere get er done unit.

TIP OF WEEK: DON'T FORGET THE JUMPER CABLES, THEY ARE PRICELESS, AND CREATE GOOD KARMA FOR YOUR FELLOW TRAVELERS.

Area of week. KOFA nwr, located south of Quartize AZ on Hwy 95, KOFA PALM CANYON IS ABOUT 18 MILES SOUTH. VERY INTERESTING. see
                      Palms hanging on canyon walls. Primitive camping See File photos also check out You Tube.

Camper of week: Chevy/Gmc Chalet. file photo below, 4x4 so its a go to almost anywhere camper.

Attachments

• a Blazer camper Chalet.jpg
    a Blazer camper Chalet.jpg
    260.3 KB
  • a Blazer camper.jpg
    a Blazer camper.jpg
    286.7 KB
  • a Kofa-NWR-Palm-Canyon-Road.jpg
    a Kofa-NWR-Palm-Canyon-Road.jpg
    134.1 KB
  • a kofa canyon palms.jpg
    a kofa canyon palms.jpg
    356.9 KB
I know someone with a Blazer Chalet, that he might sell. however it needs work. highdesertranger

I'd do some work on something like that, if the price was right
hopefully the 'work' wouldn be roof leaks, etc

GO SMALL GO FAR!!!!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUYS AND GIRLS, THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT THE THREAD.

TIP OF WEEK: A 12 volt Air Pump, Yah just never know when it will come in handy for your self and and or a fellow traveler. I have had mine
                       14 years, its small, lite, and slow but goes with me everywhere just like the jumper cables. Going along with that is FIX A FLAT and Green   
                        Slime. I carry FAF. It works in a pinch, sometimes, good for slow leaks.  Speaking of this, always check your spare tire on frequent basis.

AREA OF WEEK: SLAB CITY, SALVATION MOUNTAIN. CA. Located between Hwy's 8 and 10 south and east of Salton Sea, Niland Ca. Its a Mecca for some
                           an Arm Pit for others. But it is interesting. Lots of unusual sights. If you plan a visit I would stock up prior to Niland as it has minimal
                           services and facilities. You Tube has many videos on area.

Photo's of area couldn't be loaded for some reason, :huh:  Traveled Spain and France in a similar VW

Be safe out there and enjoy our beautiful country

Attachments

• a camper VW 2.jpg
    a camper VW 2.jpg
    49.4 KB
GO SMALL GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THE THREAD!

TIP OF WEEK: WALMART OR SIMILAR CLOTH SHOPPING BAG- Great for carrying your towel, washcloth, hygiene supplies toilet paper when
                        heading to shower or toilet. A spray can of bathroom cleaner for a clean public toilet seat.

Park of week: Joshua Tree NP, CA. Beautiful place north of US 10, lots of You Tube (YT) videos to check out for this park.

PHOTO'S: My new bumper carrier, custom built, Slab City that I missed due to down load issue last week and Joshua Tree NP

Remember enjoy our beautiful country and be safe out there!!!!

Attachments

• Carrier 1.jpg
    Carrier 1.jpg
    391.4 KB
  • Carrier 3.jpg
    Carrier 3.jpg
    414 KB
  • Carrier 2.jpg
    Carrier 2.jpg
    251.7 KB
  • Slab city welcome.jpg
    Slab city welcome.jpg