Minivan/Van Test, Input Requested

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have been clearer PastTense. I meant that I'm not finding Astro/Safari vans that meet my budget *and* my desired requirements listed in the original post (white, windows all around, year 2000 or newer, mechanically sound, passenger, etc.). And now I'm thinking of something less than 150K miles (for more than $3K). The one listed in Tacoma yesterday almost fits all of that criteria, but 321K miles seems like asking for trouble. Thanks so much for looking tho' ... who knows an Astro/Safari may pop up between now and December that meets those requirements close to $3K.

Here is an update on getting a minivan/van as a test to see if being a snowbird, while living in a van, is a good fit for me:

After more analysis, weighing a variety of pros and cons of 4 possible vehicles (Pruis, minivan, van or RV), I've pretty much decided to *not* purchase a used minivan/van at this time. Rather, I'll use our 20' Class C for my test. We got this RV so that my husband would "camp" with me every now and again. But, most of the time, it just stays parked in our driveway. Since the RV is built on a 2001 Chevy Express 3500 van chassis, it'll be similar to driving a van, just wider and higher.

To make it a truer test of vandwelling this winter, I'll make the following changes -- avoid using the water tanks (fresh, gray, or black), take the bed out that's over the cab, and empty the upper cabinets to simulate a van's more limited storage. Also, if it's not too much of a hassle, I'll remove the microwave.

The RV has two 6v batteries that I can maintain using either a 1000w generator or suitcase solar panel (that I've yet to purchase ... any recommendations?). My power usage is limited to a few LED lights, electronics (netbook, smartphone, mifi), occasional recharge of small items (toothbrush, razor), and the fan of a 12v swamp cooler if needed. I'll avoid using the forced-air furnace in the RV and use an Olympian Wave 3 propane heater instead. The refrigerator in the RV is larger than what I'd have in a van and runs on propane. (If/when I vandwell, I'll use a small 12v Dometic that will be solar powered by roof-top panels).

Although our RV isn't exactly a van, I'm hoping that the changes described above will be a good test to determine if snowbirding in a van is for me. To be honest, I think the most challenging part for me will be staying in the same general location, not really the vehicle that I'm living in. But, the huge upside is that I get to spend more time among my vandwelling friends under the winter sun!

Any input and feedback are appreciated.

Suanne

I think that's a good plan, Suanne. I think, too. that the RV will make you want to go smaller. You'll probably find, as I did, that it limits your freedom and movement. Living out of the car is great, but limiting in other ways. A van is the perfect compromise.

I had gotten to the point in the class C where I didn't use any of the tanks (inconvenient to fill and dump). And, I never use the heat (pile on more blankets and clothes) or the AC. The microwave was full of stuff, so that didn't get used either.

That's what made me decide to sell the Class C and look for a van.

When in Q, when you're needing to go somewhere and don't want to move the RV, just let me know!

I can't add much to your current plans, I too had a 24' class B and downsized to a Honda Odyssey. I didn't mind the space, but it was SO poorly laid out, and the gas mileage was horrible. I do want to say, for future reference, that you'll want to avoid the 99 and newer Hondas, they have well documented transmission issues. I have a 95 and absolutely love it, but it has the 4 cylinder and some might accuse it of being underpowered when it's fully loaded. But for 23/29 mpg, I can live with it. I've also never seen a white one, but light blue is close?

cyndi said:
... the RV will make you want to go smaller. You'll probably find, as I did, that it limits your freedom and movement.

I totally agree Cyndi! That's why I didn't even consider the RV at first. But, it just didn't make sense to put $ toward a temporary minivan/van, when I can be saving it for a real keeper when/if the time comes (I'm thinking the Ford Transit Connect is looking good, unless Toyota comes out with a hybrid van).

nowhhs, I didn't know about the transmission problems for the newer Hondas ... good info. I too like the higher MPG vans, but I'm biting the bullet and driving our RV this coming winter because it'll actually be cheaper than getting another vehicle for my test.

Suanne

Good luck, Suanne. Solid plan.

I'm in the same boat ('maybe I should buy something else...'), but it's better to save for what you want.

Thanks Vic. It's always good to know that I'm not alone in this quandary :)

Also, thanks to Loess! I'm sorry I missed your post about the Previa until this morning. I will definitely keep it as an option for my future.

loess said:
... definitely look into the Toyota Previa. The Previa was produced from 1991-1997 ...