My van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Campor99

Reaction score
2000 Astro AWD.jpg2000 Astro AWD.jpg
Attached is photo

2000 Astro  AWD  equipment Coleman cot quite comfortable and light, Engel frig/freezer, Honda 2000 gen.,extra battery.

Next mod is 2" lift kit. Does well in snow and poor traction conditions. Its small but, I did 18 mos in a 1998 Jimmy, much more
comfortable for traveling. Will probably put a DIY high top on sometime this spring.

Best to all you guys and girls out there living your adventure in a Van.

Attachments

• 2000 Astro AWD.jpg
    2000 Astro AWD.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 451
Like those trailers .
I almost bought a 5th wheel version last winter, $4K sounded like too much for the condition.
(Rear window leak and gutted bathroom turned into a closet.)
It was about the same size as yours with a 5er OH added to the front.
Now regret not getting it.................

I hear the Astros are pretty Reliable. Congrats !

Welcome... nice to see another brother from the Astro/Safari family.
I have the same pewter color in a 05 Safari AWD...

Had a friend who had a Safari and he loved that thing. I always thought it was a cool looking van. What kind of mpg do they get?

John

Silver said:
I hear the Astros are pretty Reliable. Congrats !

They are reliable, did 6000 mile trip after purchase, ran like top had 163k on odometer at start, now I'm at 179k and running great.

Konaexpress said:
Had a friend who had a Safari and he loved that thing. I always thought it was a cool looking van. What kind of mpg do they get?

John
Lightly loaded best I got was 19 mpg, think it averages normally between 15 and 17mpg. Heavy load and pulling a 1500lb trailer in rockies
12-15mpg.

Thanks for reply, Frank

Are they front wheel drive or what? With all those windows, people could turn those puppy's into the modern day vanigan. :) Start a new modern movement. "Viva La (insert something cool)"!

John

Konaexpress said:
Are they front wheel drive or what? With all those windows, people could turn those puppy's into the modern day vanigan. :) Start a new modern movement. "Viva La (insert something cool)"!

John

AWD or RWD... and many of us vanagon owners have made the switch at a far cheaper overall cost:D :p

Astros have 170 cubic feet behind the front seats; Vanagons have 200 ft 3.

Astros were vans, but smaller, in contrast to the Chrysler car-based minivans.

I don't want to hijack C99's thread so can all you Astro/Safari users start a new thread with your photos and thoughts on one vs another?

Thanks!
John

Konaexpress said:

John

All 4 wheels drive when the rear wheels start slipping, dont know how it works but it does, Sec,s say the front kicks in and adds
35% traction add to rear wheels. Am still trying to find out other issues, but I ve never hung up in snow, ice or other situations.

Konaexpress said:
I don't want to hijack C99's thread so can all you Astro/Safari users start a new thread with your photos and thoughts on one vs another?

Thanks!
John

I'm a newby, don't know how to start a thread! Willing to learn system!

ascii_man said:
Astros have 170 cubic feet behind the front seats; Vanagons have 200 ft 3.

Astros were vans, but smaller, in contrast to the Chrysler car-based minivans.
I traveled in Jimmy, tiny for over 18 mos, was great but Astro/Safari are really comfortable, have full bunk and
space for frig/freezer, plenty of space below bunk on driver side. and cargo using a bumper carrier.

Campor99 said:
I'm a newby, don't know how to start a thread! Willing to learn system!

IN the main "Van" topic area, look over to the right and click on the Post topic, New thread, New post button or whatever's hey named it. This will pull up the editor, put a name for the new thread in the subject box and then put what you want to say down in the main message box. :)

John

TequilaSunSet said:
AWD or RWD... and many of us vanagon owners have made the switch at a far cheaper overall cost:D :p

You have a option they were made AWD/RWD so do your study. Took me a couple of weeks to find AWD in my area, had 163k on truck
It has the mighty little 4.3 engine which will run forever if taken care of, My Jimmy with same has 315K burns 1 qt per 1500 miles.

well you started this thread, so you must know how to start a thread. about your van I would put some good hard thought into putting a lift on it. I advise against putting lift kits on independent suspension vehicles. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
well you started this thread,  so you must know how to start a thread.  about your van I would put some good hard thought into putting a lift on it.  I advise against putting lift kits on independent suspension vehicles.  highdesertranger
Thanks for information, What problems does it cause, I've been told that the 2"lift doesn't even need to have the front end realigned. Hope to hear back from you.

If you are living or traveling in van, leave a pix of your rig here and say hello, maybe this tread will be a place for many
travelers and folks with wander lust.

Attached is photo of Camp site at Lighting creek in British Columbia last July, free camping had many berry pickers at campground

Attachments

• new ride.jpg
    new ride.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 147