My van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. I have a 95 Astro cargo van.It averages 18 mpgs. Have gotten 21 mpg in it. Only had 41,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I`m 6` tall and it suits me. My bed is sideways at the back with three totes under the front and three under the back of the bed plus a plastic three door cabinet in My living space. Have a house battery. Considered solar but don" t have the need for it? As they say " I live out of it not in it", I roam around Ky and Tn with the Smokeys being my favorite place to dwell. Anybody else in hollering distance..HoboJoe

With the astro vansits a body lift not suspencion 6 2 in pucks and longer shackels for rear

Van Interior, this is comfortable for me, am 6'

Attachments

• astro interior.jpg
    astro interior.jpg
    247.3 KB
Campor99 said:
All 4 wheels drive when the rear wheels start slipping, dont know how it works but it does, Sec,s say the front kicks in and adds
35% traction add to rear wheels. Am still trying to find out other issues, but I ve never hung up in snow, ice or other situations.

This is not how all wheel drive works. Only one wheel drives at any time but it can be any of the four wheels depending on which one has best traction.

Spirituallifetime said:
This is not how all wheel drive works. Only one wheel drives at any time but it can be any of the four wheels depending on which one has best traction.

Pardon, but you need to check GM New on Astro/Safari AWD, the rear wheels drive all the time and front only 35% add when slippage is detected,
but it works as a pure 4x4 when need per the GM description when needed. I would prefer a system like on a Jimmy that is select able with 2L 4L etc.

Thanks really appreciate you stopping by, show us you ride! best Frank

who ever told you wouldn't need an alignment is flat out wrong unless you are talking a body lift. so I looked up lift kits and see they are a combination body and suspension. I don't like body lifts either. I feel 1 inch max on the body lift is all I would go. now you can find endless number of people that will disagree with me, I don't care. I am giving you advice for the long term, any type of lift on an independent suspension will make it less reliable and more prone to breakdown and wearing of parts. AWD's already wear parts needlessly, you will just accelerate this wear. so do what you want I am just letting you know ahead of time. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
who ever told you wouldn't need an alignment is flat out wrong unless you are talking a body lift.  so I looked up lift kits and see they are a combination body and suspension.  I don't like body lifts either.  I feel 1 inch max on the body lift is all I would go.  now you can find endless number of people that will disagree with me,  I don't care.  I am giving you advice for the long term,  any type of lift on an independent suspension will make it less reliable and more prone to breakdown and wearing of parts.  AWD's already wear parts needlessly,  you will just accelerate this wear.  so do what you want I am just letting you know ahead of time.  highdesertranger

Thanks again, I keep seeing Astros/Safari vans lifted using the mod to the torsion bars and they seem happy with issue. Please check Tough County
lift kit and give me your advice, seems good to me, Have seen Vans lifted 6" or more, just want a few inches for transfer case and such, will only be
doing forest road etc not rock crawling etc.

Appreciate your information Frank

the problem is not with rock crawling it's with everyday driving. I suggest you go for a ride in a torsion bar lifted vehicle. just because you have seen it doesn't mean it's a good idea. like I said before I am just trying to help you have the least trouble and the most reliability as possible with your van. you don't have to follow my advice. highdesertranger

Umm.......why in the world would you lift a van. 4X4 is why God made Jeep and other vehicles. Don't use the but end of a screwdriver if you need a hammer.

John

highdesertranger said:
the problem is not with rock crawling it's with everyday driving.  I suggest you go for a ride in a torsion bar lifted vehicle.  just because you have seen it doesn't mean it's a good idea.  like I said before I am just trying to help you have the least trouble and the most reliability as possible with your van.  you don't have to follow my advice.  highdesertranger
Thanks much, I will try and find a vehicle that has small amount of lift to test drive, I don't want to destroy the ride as I think the Astro is a
good riding machine.  Really appreciate you taking time to provide the advice.

What type of vehicle do you use? Best Frank

Konaexpress said:
Umm.......why in the world would you lift a van. 4X4 is why God made Jeep and other vehicles. Don't use the but end of a screwdriver if you need a hammer.

John

Thank for advice, good point.

HoboJoe said:
Hi all. I have a 95 Astro cargo van.It averages 18 mpgs. Have gotten 21 mpg in it. Only had 41,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I`m 6` tall and it suits me. My bed is sideways at the back with three totes under the front and three under the back of the bed plus a plastic three door cabinet in My living space. Have a house battery. Considered solar but don" t have the need for it? As they say " I live out of it not in it", I roam around Ky and Tn with the Smokeys being my favorite place to dwell. Anybody else in hollering distance..HoboJoe

How about sharing a picture of your rig, would like to see how it all went together. Thanks for description Happy Trails, Frank

Campor99 said:
Attached is photo

2000 Astro  AWD  equipment Coleman cot quite comfortable and light, Engel frig/freezer, Honda 2000 gen.,extra battery.

Next mod is 2" lift kit. Does well in snow and poor traction conditions. Its small but, I did 18 mos in a 1998 Jimmy, much more
comfortable for traveling. Will probably put a DIY high top on sometime this spring.

Best to all you guys and girls out there living your adventure in a Van.

Anyone seen brush guard bumpers for Astro/Safari vans, please advise, Thanks all

Campor99 said:
How about sharing a picture of your rig, would like to see how it all went together. Thanks for description Happy Trails, Frank

P.S Is yours a AWD,  do you stay on the western slope of Smokey's or east?

highdesertranger said:
who ever told you wouldn't need an alignment is flat out wrong unless you are talking a body lift.  so I looked up lift kits and see they are a combination body and suspension.  I don't like body lifts either.  I feel 1 inch max on the body lift is all I would go.  now you can find endless number of people that will disagree with me,  I don't care.  I am giving you advice for the long term,  any type of lift on an independent suspension will make it less reliable and more prone to breakdown and wearing of parts.  AWD's already wear parts needlessly,  you will just accelerate this wear.  so do what you want I am just letting you know ahead of time.  highdesertranger

Thanks again for your advice, any ideas on just a leveling kit for front end as that is all that I need as my Astro is 2"lower on front than rear

Thanks so much for your advice and help on this issue

If you can live small, you will love the Astro/Safari Vans, they are a tuff van and give you a comfortable driving truck.
Love mine, 16K in one year, and will pull or go alone as camper unit. Have done 16K this year. Check out YouTube on
Astro/Safari van campers, and other U tube channels on the joys of Astro/Safari van lifestyles campers.

Hope you all like this thread Best to all and enjoy the life of Adventure, Framl

well the first thing to do is figure out if the front is sagging or someone lifted the rear. then fix accordingly. the ride height should be in the shop manual which is a good thing to have if you plan on keeping your van. if you are going to buy one for this info make sure that's it's the right one. highdesertranger

PLEASE SHARE YOUR VAN PHOTO'S  OF YOUR CAMPING VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, THIS IS YOUR VAN THREAD, NOT MINE, WE WANT
PEOPLE TO SHARE THEIR LOVELY EXPERIENCES!  THANKS TO YOU!!!!!

highdesertranger said:
well the first thing to do is figure out if the front is sagging or someone lifted the rear.  then fix accordingly.  the ride height should be in the shop manual which is a good thing to have if you plan on keeping your van.  if you are going to buy one for this info make sure that's it's the right one.   highdesertranger

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO, I BELIEVE THAT MY VAN IS STOCK, THE NOSE IS ABOUT 2" BELOW REAR WHEEL HEIGHT, WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT
LEVEL, THANKS AGAIN FOR GOOD ADVICE, I'M TOTALLY NOT EDUCATED ON MECHANICS.

well you need to find out if it's sagging in the front end. tape measure and a spec sheet. highdesertranger