Miles Irving

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally- a day to do some van-work!
Also picked up (cheap) a kicking low-volume high-insulation sleeping bag. compresses down to about the size of my head.. rated to 20deg.

OK- the long awaited Curtain Solution... lol

I decided to utilize the pre-drilled holes in all the small doors (for the trim that is no longer there..) and get a standard screw-snap kit.

Using the left over scrap, which was pretty much exactly the size I needed.. yay.. I made small square curtains for the barn doors.
Then, having 1" hems.. keeping one end open.. I cut appropriately sized strips of 3/4" measuring tape.
Measured -verycarefully!- for the snap placements.. keeping track of which strip went where and which direction... (which window, upper/lower placement, and orientation with relation to a fixed point..) because every window was slightly different.. guess they didn't use a template when making the original holes.. lol

Drilled out for the snap grommety things..
curtaintape.jpg
and decided to use pull-tabs, so I don't stress the poor little tape or snaps too much.
curtainTab.jpg

Oh.. also, when I was finishing the hems, I sewed little braille-dots into a corner.. to identify which one goes to which window and which direction is 'up'  :)
They are light, flexible, washable, and won't flap when I drive- even if I have the tip-out windows open.

Attachments

• curtainTab.jpg
    curtainTab.jpg
    471.1 KB
  • curtaintape.jpg
    curtaintape.jpg
    532.4 KB
Thanks, man.  :D

and (whew) all my snaps lined up just right.

CurtainUp.jpg

also figured out an easy way to 'open' them for rear-view while driving...
CurtainOpen.jpg

(and, before you even ask.., he is watching a squirrel in the neighbor's yard...)

Attachments

• CurtainUp.jpg
    CurtainUp.jpg
    480.8 KB
  • CurtainOpen.jpg
    CurtainOpen.jpg
    528.7 KB
now to build the battery bench and kitchenette, finish hardwiring the backup cam, paint the bed wooden parts- and secure them to the van, finish the solar plan and install that...
ugh.. so many things.. lol

Oh, and need a new pass-side mirror.. and to figure out why the drivers side one doesn't stay tight..
and finish fine tuning the carb.. (air/fuel mixture and accel-pump adjustments..)

and a thousand little things.. like paint indicator bands on the door-lock pins so I can tell if they are locked or not, at a glance...

Cut, sanded, stained, and first coat of tung oil yesterday. 2 and 3rd coats today.. and assembly.

Oh, and when you need a guide for the Skil Saw and a 2nd set of hands to hold the board/s..
3rdhandCut.jpg

Attachments

• 3rdhandCut.jpg
    3rdhandCut.jpg
    91.8 KB
Taaaadaaa
KIMG0263~2.JPG
Comfortably holds 2 g24 agm Batts in one half.. and will have the electronics in the other side.
The brown boards are temporary braces..
KIMG0265~2.JPG
Doubles as a bench seat and is the same height as the bed frame, so it becomes support for the extension.

Attachments

• KIMG0263~2.JPG
    KIMG0263~2.JPG
    949 KB
  • KIMG0265~2.JPG
    KIMG0265~2.JPG
    1.4 MB
nice, it looks great. the only thing I would do is put a little space between the two batteries. highdesertranger

^^^^ this!

I put a piece of 1x2 turned on it's narrow side between each of my batteries for spacing.

Yeah, I have room to do that. The braces are Obviously temporary.. lol
They fit/worked in the moment.
I plan on spacing them.. thanks

And a moment of brilliance..  Found these on Amazon Magnetic USB rechargable 2pk lights (on.off/motionsensor) and they come with little metal plates to double-stick-tape to non magnetic surfaces..
The interior of my van is classic-conversion-carpeted ...  and now the brilliance..
metalvelcro.jpg
Put sticky-back velcro on the provided metal strips..

and thus
Magnetic Carpet.. lol
anywherelight.jpg

I can now put these lights almost ANYWHERE in the van I want.. ceiling, walls, doors, under the hood...
The 'Warm White' is not Super bright, but it is a very pleasant candle/incandescent type color without the migraine inducing LED ficker!

Attachments

• anywherelight.jpg
    anywherelight.jpg
    111.7 KB
  • metalvelcro.jpg
    metalvelcro.jpg
    46.3 KB
Finally got my bed/frame painted and 'nailed down' using Burly brackets and chain and a couple heavy duty hooks. (adjustable if needed ;) )
Also found a small water leak in the rear pass corner.  sigh....  checked behind the walls- and, thankfully, my insulation appears to be dry.  So it is probably a vacuum effect rear door leak wicking up the ply into the carpet..
Going to need to figure it out and address this asap.  Being in the PNW.. moisture is the Enemy!

Also got the table done, and troubleshat. (it had a wobble at the bottom floor fitting.. solved it with unconventional solution.. toilet leveling wedges. little piece of cord in the holes to grab it easily.. like a wheel chock for table fittings.. lol) Photos to follow soon.

Along with the Bird-Holiday, house cleaning, guests, and full time work.. I want to try to get the solar electronics into the batt.box.
AND working on my Youtube channel.

argh
:s

hooks, chains, and burley brackets for your bed. I think you are on the wrong website. LOL. highdesertranger

^ you're a hoot, man!

good news and bad news.. apparently my leak is intermittent or something.. still been getting rain, but carpet is now drying.. Oh gosh, that will make is So Much Easier to find.... not. lol

Updated the firmware for the backup cam. I approve of the changes.
Took inventory of my solar stuff.. obtained roof gland thingey for cabling
Still trying to get the remote for the solar constructed...

I also got the "go for it" from the hub.. for RTR - and been saving up gas money and such for a couple years....
Now I need to get the time off work.. (it could happen..) -- (I could make it..)

so- fair warning.. there could be a slightly crazy woman and her 2 coyotes there this year. lol

Solar remote panel box constructed.. (just need to put the trim on..)
bunch of little fiddly things done..
many more little fiddly things needing done.. lol

fyi- Gorilla glue is my new best friend.. (yes I keep it out of reach of the kids..)

Latest posts