My 2023 Promaster livability build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTJohn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point of Beginning:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/m-going-2-order-new-promaster.48208/
Well I ended up buying it off the lot vs ordering:
IMG_1991.jpeg
IMG_1998.jpeg
Yep, that’s me when I got it back to Kamp Koon on April 20. Next order of business was to read the manual and turn off everything I could that beeped, buzzed & flashed……..
Then I bought a real spare tire for the thing. Few days latter transferred 10,000$ into a new account accessed with a debit card for the build necessities. Have spent about 6 weex of the last 3 months working on it in one capacity or another.

The floor: ordered a Bedrug for it. When it arrived I used it as a template to size the 2 sheets of 3/4”4’x8’ plywood and it worked out great.

Installed thinsulate insulation; ceiling & sides.

Bought 1/2” 4’x8’ plywood; 4 ply not 3. Was only 2 more bux a sheet; also 12 2x2x8’ and started going to work. Much of the other wood I used was stuff I already had laying around.

Wanted the bed frame running lengthwise basically from the rear doors forward about 78”. Storage underneath; shelves for portable solar panel storage. Also propane tank & stove; 20 gallon water tank and spare tire storage under counter space to be on passenger side from side door to rear.

Some initial pix:
IMG_2016.jpegIMG_2015.jpegIMG_2020.jpegIMG_2021.jpeg
And after countertop installation was time for a christening. Thank you bottle of gin. No I didn’t break it on the van. Made me a couple gin&gingers.
jonny boi bringin more

70639581152__B9D683E5-924E-4873-8139-CE63A3C56B1D.jpeg
Added a Scopema swivel to the passenger seat. Like putting in a lazyboy recliner. 👍🏼
IMG_2023.jpeg
Next order of business was ummm since I had 2 big holes in the back doors, it would prolly be a good idea to install windows?
Yeah, prolly a good thing to do.
70682170613__7E149A77-79B7-4DED-BA28-D98D671EC07D.jpeg

Well the ceiling liner finally arrived so installed that, below.
IMG_2026.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
Above, installed the aluminum trim plates to the ceiling liner. Did this at the beach.

jonny boi makin headway

Looking good! Be sure to seal the box you have the propane bottle in and cut a vent to go outside of the van.

We looked at all 3 2023 models last weekend. I liked them but the seats were terrible.

IMG_2044.jpeg
Installed the roof rack; galvanized steel; made by Topper 5’x12’.
IMG_2053.jpeg
Added 5 1”x12”x12’ boards to complete the 2nd story party deck. Need a ladder to get up there right?
IMG_2082.jpeg
Ordered this 10’ Xtend & Climb telescopic ladder

jonny boi not thru

IMG_2057.jpeg
Hung a cupboard above the counter. My 2 cupboards; above & upper part of below pik are old 4” cannon ammo crates that I mysteriously acquired some 45ish years ago🤷🏻‍♂️.
IMG_2073.jpeg
Above: tune box & amp upper left; lower left is 100ah Li Time mini LiFePo4 battery and shelving. 30amp charge controller behind driver seat; below:
IMG_2083.jpeg
jonny is about there……

IMG_2077.jpeg
Sooo what’s a spent 243 casing have to do with a van build you ask? HEY! Thanks 4 asking. No I didn’t get pissed off one day while working on it and put a round thru the van.

While I was wiring up the battery, controller, tune box, amp, 12v receptacles, etc I needed a 4 gauge wire connector. Thought I had one someplace but couldn’t find 1. Didn’t feel like waiting a 4 day order delivery so Called a couple auto part stores in the nearest town - 16 miles away- best any1 could do was 6 gauge.

Hell with it; jonny boi says and grabbed above case and hacksawed the bottleneck off one end and the base in front of the extractor groove on the other; file burrs; insert 4 ga wires; krimp and wrap. Good 2 go. 👍🏼😎🤙
jonny boi getter dun

When I saw the roof rack my knee-jerk was to complain that you said the roof would be a dance floor! Got my answer in the next photo... 🤪

If you *do* want to mount some solar panels on it, I'd suggest mounting them on the left side, hinged at the top, with a support to hold them horizontal while parked. I seem to be the only one who thinks that is a good idea though...

Jonny, I like what you have done. Very masculine and looks just like what a guy would like to have. I'm building out a 159" WB 2023 Promaster Van. As a woman, I'm doing things a bit differently and needing oxygen at night requires electricity so I'm putting 1000W of solar panels on top. It is going to be a close fit. I'm planning on using 8020 extruded aluminum for the rack. If I figured things right I'll be able to get a fan and sky light (about 14" for each one) and a small deck between them on the roof with the solar panels. If I didn't need the electricity I would have done what you did. It would be a great bird watching place, sunsets, sunrises, too, along with the stars. Enjoy your van.

View attachment 34141
Added a Scopema swivel to the passenger seat. Like putting in a lazyboy recliner. 👍🏼
View attachment 34142
Next order of business was ummm since I had 2 big holes in the back doors, it would prolly be a good idea to install windows?
Yeah, prolly a good thing to do.
View attachment 34143

Well the ceiling liner finally arrived so installed that, below.
View attachment 34144
View attachment 34145
Above, installed the aluminum trim plates to the ceiling liner. Did this at the beach.

jonny boi makin headway
Took posession of new 2023 Promaster 1500 May 19th, 2023. You did a beautiful build out, thx for sharing. I don't want to spend the $ to do a build out, and don't want the decreased gas milage due to the added weight. I use 1/4 x 2" hooks to hang a lot of things from - mainly decoratjve bags full of things. Also have hooked bungee cords to secure things. Boxes under a cot that hold cans, boxes of food. 31 qt fridge that runs off 1500w power station or just plug it into cig lighter. I discribe the interior this way..
...take your closet and turn it upside down, shake well, and VOILA ! LOL ...actually l've rearrange everything a couple of times , eliminating things l thought l would need. Have done other hacks....enjoy, its your life now.

IMG_2080.jpeg
This pik shows the porta-potti place; in front of the Li Time battery and the 45 qt fridge. I checked into getting a floor mount slide for the fridge but nothing decent was less than 150$ so
bought 4 locking casters for 26$ and mounted them on the corners. Roll it out, it doubles as the passenger seat foot rest. 👍🏼😎🤙
IMG_2081.jpeg
And this is with curtain down covering the crapper. Blue cube is 7 gallon water jug. I have 2; and 2 clothing bags on lower shelf.

jonny has it livable but there’s a few things yet.🚐

Jonny, The casters on that make it look easy to move around. Maybe you are a more genital driver than I am. Even with the locking casters it would be moving on turns and going up hill for me. I hope you don't have that problem with it. I have to strap everything to the wall or floor to keep it in place. Bungee cords are only good enough to keep drawers closed. Maybe the issue is I'm a wild crazy woman driver. lol

Maybe you are a more genital driver than I am. Even with the locking casters it would be moving on turns and going up hill for me.
I think we both know that the genital driving is the real problem! 🤪 Yes I know those long drives can get boring, but I'm not as ambidextrous and multitasking as I used to be... drive safe! (y)

Well; this threads on its way to going off the road and it’s all because of them genital drivers….😂 Don’t ya kinda want things rolling around while genital driving?😂😂
need to start a thread in chit chat land HEY; any genital drivers out there?! Make ur selves known. NOW!
jonny boi ain’t sayin; I’m jus sayin

Last edited: