Miles Irving

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So have you decided on how you are mounting the panels?

I have mine inset.  It is a pain, but their is the advantage of being able to use the racks in an emergency.

Your build, I am just curious.  ;)

Attachments

• van solar 3.jpg
    van solar 3.jpg
    146.2 KB
Yep- was planning on insetting.
I figured uBolts around the rack and use the brackets (bottom edge mount) for the panels.. then just attach to the bottom of the uBolts.
Pretty much the same thing you did, but replacing the pia drill-through with uBolts. :)  And I think we have almost the exact same rack system. lol.

Planned this for 2 reasons.. rack in emergency, and less lead edge wind drag on round than flat surface.  Also probably going to paint the sides of the frames that show- a matte black.  Less noticeable.  ;)

I did get the seats covered, and the rack assembled. Not On the van yet tho. Need to (surprise!) drill through for the cross piece. Ran out of time.... but it is together and ready to size for drilling. Means I have to, essentially, install them twice.. sigh. Oh well. Done right the first time, won't have to do it again for a Long time.. hopefully.

Get those Gold Step Drill Bits.  Makes life much easier.  :D

Yay- got the roof rack on (with a bit of help from the hubby) and it looks pretty good.  May need to move the rear mount a little, once I have the panels and brackets up there.. not sure exactly how far apart they need to be.
RRack.jpg

Also- LITERALLY FOUND THIS.
eLunch.jpb.jpg it was just sitting, alone, in a shopping cart, on the little-used side of the grocery store.  Clean and unmarked.  Just appears to be missing its battery.  pff.. I'm ok with buying a 33-35 ah battery.. jeeeeeez.
Oh, and it needs the power connector/s too.
It rattled when I picked it up.. so I took it apart to see why.. the terminal bolts were the cause of the rattle. It even still has the batt-hold down strap. wooooo!

Attachments

• eLunch.jpb.jpg
    eLunch.jpb.jpg
    67.5 KB
  • RRack.jpg
    RRack.jpg
    641.1 KB
Well.. that was a $10/2hr lesson on how Not to cut mitered corners...
Building a box for the controller for the solar power.. Want to 'frame' the face of the box, make it look finished and nice.
Figured, just get some outside corner molding, and cut 45's and edge the box.. right?
Well.. let me tell you, that is not as easy as it sounds.
Stained the wood.. and took careful measurements..
And proceeded to cut it wrong..
figured that out
and cut it wrong again..
Ok..
3rd time I got it right.. cut to exactly the length I measured to... then discovered that the measurements didn't allow for angle/corner..

crap.

"Just frame the face of the box," she said.. "It'll be easy.." she said.

now I need more molding........

What do you reckon the story with the goal zero minus a battery was? That's pretty crazy...

There are people on the forum who will know better than I but would boxing in the charge controller not inhibit airflow / cooling? I don't know how essential it is to be honest as I haven't checked to see if mine really heats up when under heavy load.

Very good progress anyhow!

Yay-  Finally started on my floor. Took a couple false starts.. couldn't find the screws I thought I had.. then, when found.. too short.
Went and got some different screws..  nope- those didn't work either.  2nd trip to store- new new screws.. and Yay.. floor.
Need to get some cardboard to do templates for the 'around things' part of the floor.. make it easier.

I want to try to do a test-camp early in October.. so I want my basic floor and bed platform done.. and some sort of window coverings.. lol

LOL
I swear- it is one silly thing after another with this van..  
vanclub.png
1st rule of van club: you don't talk about van club

Attachments

• vanclub.png
    vanclub.png
    7 KB
Great start to your van abode... I look forward to seeing it continue.  

I've heard of gutter lip rust from at least 3 Dodge owners on the forum, SternWake was one... is it mostly a Dodge thing??

I'd like to see how you clamped the panels onto the round roof racks... I agree that is the better way for air deflection, I know that I couldn't drill a clean hole in a round tube to save my life...  :p

Look forward to seeing how you frame for the bed, crosswise or what, and the lumber dimensions.  Not sure why people use 2x2's when there's so little weight difference with 2x4, and 2x4 can be so much easier to work with and select straight pieces...  maybe it's just me but most 2x2's I see at box store lumber yards are suitable for boat building instead of framing...

Then your window treatment is another question I've always had about conversion vans... Glad I get the benefit of your build!   ;)

You're doing great!!

TWIH

Hi GypsyDogs, Have you posted any pre-conversion photos of your van interior? I just got my van (2001 GMC Safari) and it looks to be the same size as yours.  Was wondering what you started with.

Good Luck!

Dang- I could have sworn I posted pre-build pics..
hang on.....
IMG_8105.JPG

Essentially a pre-gutted traditional Conv.Van.

Attachments

• IMG_8105.JPG
    IMG_8105.JPG
    1.5 MB
[quote="This world isn']
I know that I couldn't drill a clean hole in a round tube to save my life...  :p

[/quote]

I cheated- Took a couple pieces of scrap hard foam, and used double stick tape.. attached them to another large flat piece of wood equidistant apart.. made a 'cradle' for the pipe. Holds it in place .. then center-punch before you drill.. settles the bit in place, and the cradle holds it steady. Patience and some WD40 periodically on the bit.. and you are good to go. :)

I found 4 24" interlocking gym-floor foam panels...wonder if I can use those on the big windows.. for privacy/insulation?
cut to fit.. just slightly oversize.. and skrunch them into place... like you do with reflectix.
would also cut down noise... and not have the give-away shiny bubble visual.
with the dark tint already.. and black mats..should be nearly invisible?
and have the bottom slider section cut separately.. so I can still open the window/s.
oooo could even use spray adhesive and face one side with the emergency blanket mirror-mylar.. for summer.. and to reflect light in the van at night.

awaits daylight.. has tape measure in hand....

Miles got a nice set of chromed metal window visors yesterday. Looks really slick with his vintage. :)

all subfloor cut to fit, cut for pedestal inserts, and basement door cut/routed (carpet easement) yay
all the holes have been dicor'd and drying.
I am hoping there will be full floor pics later today.. Once I fill a few skanky plywood holes with filler and lay the linoleum. :)

Oh, and cab curtain hung... not attempting Full-Stealth.. just privacy.. Miles IS an conversion van, after all...

Ok.. we have achieved FLOOR!NewFloor.jpg

Just need to trim the overhang, and attach the edging to cab and side-barn edges..

This morning's pre-caffeine project.. finish designing bed frame for storage, safety with storage over both wheel wells, slide-stops for cargo, and conversion from sideways twin to longways queen---

... the only part I haven't figured out is the legs for the expansion

Attachments

• NewFloor.jpg
    NewFloor.jpg
    39.2 KB
Got the needed lumber for the bed.. and almost have the design figured out. (if it weren't for danged Physics.. I'd be able to do what I Want to do.. but I can't hinge a solid piece of plywood, nor can I have 2 pieces occupy the same space.. lol) But I think I have an interesting solution to my predicament. :) Just need to finish clevering it on paper...

Latest posts