Hello forum!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backroads

Reaction score
My family has lived in several states throughout the years thanks to the military. I am a Navy Brat, Army wife, and Army and Marine mom. Having said that as you can guess I am quite used to packing up and hitting the road.

I have reached a stage in my life where I am tired of sitting still. My husband will retire his second career in approximately 3 years. Which leaves me kind of stuck lol. Kids have their own families and lives and hubby works Monday through Friday. I will admit to feeling like I am in a rut.

So I watched, researched, and planned. I purchased a used van, and my husband insulated it for me, built a bed with storage underneath. I purchased totes for my kitchen, clothing, and pantry. Today I am sitting on the porch watching him put on steps (from factory) on the van so it’s easier for me to get in and out of. His next project is a max fan in the ceiling which he will hook up to the solar/batteries.

Then I will stick it with bedding, food in ice chest and go camping. My agreement with my husband is I stick to parks(state or city) and save the true boon docking until he is with me. After he finishes my Van he will start on a cargo trailer for himself, we will pull it behind the van when he goes with me on trips.

Sounds redundant for his and hers but he also likes to fish which I don’t lol. Our thought is he will go fishing in his truck pulling cargo trailer, and keep his fishing stuff in the trailer.

Also the thought is a queen size bed in the van for 2 take’s a lot of room. We joked about his and hers and it somehow became a thing lol.

So here I am patiently waiting for the last upgrade on the Van so I can go on my first 5 day trip. It won’t be my last I have family all over Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. My plan is to visit but take my own little home with me.

I have been reading a lot on this forum and watching YouTube. Of course that’s not all my knowledge of camping. As a family we have camped through the years as a family.
Melissa

Welcome and sounds like you have a great plan! There used to be a user on this forum who travelled with her husband in identical His and Hers Nissan vans. Worked great for them.

I am all for the concept of his and her spaces.

Encourage him to set up a nap/lounging space in his fishing trailer. That will give you the ability to not have to stop what you might want to be doing inside the van just so he can sleep or watch a video you might not be interested in. It can be his “man cave” 👍

My family has lived in several states throughout the years thanks to the military. I am a Navy Brat, Army wife, and Army and Marine mom. Having said that as you can guess I am quite used to packing up and hitting the road.

I have reached a stage in my life where I am tired of sitting still. My husband will retire his second career in approximately 3 years. Which leaves me kind of stuck lol. Kids have their own families and lives and hubby works Monday through Friday. I will admit to feeling like I am in a rut.

So I watched, researched, and planned. I purchased a used van, and my husband insulated it for me, built a bed with storage underneath. I purchased totes for my kitchen, clothing, and pantry. Today I am sitting on the porch watching him put on steps (from factory) on the van so it’s easier for me to get in and out of. His next project is a max fan in the ceiling which he will hook up to the solar/batteries.

Then I will stick it with bedding, food in ice chest and go camping. My agreement with my husband is I stick to parks(state or city) and save the true boon docking until he is with me. After he finishes my Van he will start on a cargo trailer for himself, we will pull it behind the van when he goes with me on trips.

Sounds redundant for his and hers but he also likes to fish which I don’t lol. Our thought is he will go fishing in his truck pulling cargo trailer, and keep his fishing stuff in the trailer.

Also the thought is a queen size bed in the van for 2 take’s a lot of room. We joked about his and hers and it somehow became a thing lol.

So here I am patiently waiting for the last upgrade on the Van so I can go on my first 5 day trip. It won’t be my last I have family all over Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. My plan is to visit but take my own little home with me.

I have been reading a lot on this forum and watching YouTube. Of course that’s not all my knowledge of camping. As a family we have camped through the years as a family.
Melissa
Welcome. Take your time and enjoy the sights. We live in a beautiful country and it's a wonderful life. Happy travels.

Melissa
Awrsome post ! You two are going to have a GREAT time. So smart of you to go on short trips b4 hand. You'll have time and experience to work out kinks in your plan that you didn't even know existed. Like use only synthetic bedding matetials...cotton holds sweat and as the temps cool during the night you'll be wet and chilled. Also you need a way for your mattress to breath and not hold moisture. This may not be for you, but l bought a twin Coleman camping cot off Amazon that has synthetic fabric supported by springs as the mattress. And bought a yoga mat to put under the thin mattress to keep it from sliding off. That thin mattress was so slick it's like being a hot dog in a bun with a bunch of mayonaise... any movement and SLOOP off you go mattress and all ! Also after a few nights l wanted a little more padding, 2-3 inches of foam from JoAnns (with 40% off coupon of course) has been perfect. Anyway it's the best way to find out what you need and DON'T need. Happy Camping !