Men Only! Women Keep Out!!!! No Women Allowed!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thought on having closed off sections (private forums) for men and women here is that with the topic of the forum, there might be other websites more appropriate for discussion of many of those topics with more participation on those specific topics that one might want to discuss. There are both physical and mental health websites that are excellent, and victims and sufferers of every possible thing on earth.

I also think this topic might have been better approached at this website as ways to avoid becoming a victim of sexual crimes, bringing in personal experiences could certainly be a part of it, which would have been more in tune with the spirit of CRVL. Just my opinion though for what it is worth.

I did note that many of the crimes were by family members and people known to the victim rather than strangers, and I believe this plays out with statistics. Sadly, sickness like this can run through a family and family members just let it go and try to pretend all is good.

After listening to some of the stories by vandwellers/full-time RVers, I tend to believe many of the women, and probably some of the men, took to the lifestyle to escape a life that no one would want to have to endure for one reason or another.

Being such a diverse group here, there will be a lot of different opinions on any subject, this is mine. I am aware that my opinions are not always that popular with other women, I get a lot of static on that, but I have a real problem with any kind of segregation going way back to when I was a child or believing that nearly everyone based on some demographic is the same.

Snow Gypsy said:
believing that nearly everyone based on some demographic is the same.

Holy crap. How many times do I have to say over and over that we aren't talking about all men? I made a HUGE point of it in fact with every post.

If I thought for a second that all men were like that I'd have jumped off a cliff years ago and certainly wouldn't have gotten married three times!

I like men as friends better than woman friends.

Sheesh.

slow2day said:
Cam, I think Rob was just making a point and so was I. You don't need to reassure me as I know myself and the facts.

Slow, sorry about the reassurance. It's a knee kick thing of mine. [emoji16]

Cammalu said:
Holy crap.  How many times do I have to say over and over that we aren't talking about all men?  I made a HUGE point of it in fact with every post.  

If I thought for a second that all men were like that  I'd have jumped off a cliff years ago and certainly wouldn't have gotten married three times!

I like men as friends better than woman friends.  

Sheesh.

Cammy, I don't think any one demographic was singled out by Snow Gypsy's post, but was instead was pointing out the futility of segregation on these forums? Also pointing out that there are specific forums that deal with those subjects out there, and I agree with that logic.

Ballenxj said:
Cammy, I don't think any one demographic was singled out by Snow Gypsy's post, but was instead was pointing out the futility of segregation on these forums? Also pointing out that there are specific forums that deal with those subjects out there, and I agree with that logic.

What the hell do I know? [emoji15]. Who said I could read anyway or that I was the sharpest knife in the drawer? That's why I always liked smart men!!!

I misread, with my pea brain, demographics. [emoji16]. I'm the first to say I screwed up!!!!

Thanks B. [emoji38]

tx2sturgis said:
Pardon me, is this where I sign up for the Sexual Harassment Classes?

YES! I hope you have your pink fire suit zipped up, because you really set yourself up for a barrage now.
OK everybody, fire at will. No wait, Will didn't do it this time. :D

Earlier on, one of the gents mentioned seeing women from his viewpoint as sisters. Somehow, that thought drilled deeper into me than I remember having done so before. Yes, that seems to me a really good stance. Men and women aren't just consciousness particles randomly floating about bumping into each other. We're beings quite literally in a web of family ties all the way back to the African plains 80,000years ago. I liked that the idea of treating women as sisters as it dug deeper into my being.

And then I thought, "Well, if you're going to view women as sisters, you ought to consider thinking of men as brothers."

Interesting. When dwelling on the relationship with those of the opposite sex, one confronts all the intricacies of dealing with "other." Rich territory. But when considering broadly my relationship with men, my head just went, "Meh, no biggie, just a bunch of dudes." I wouldn't exactly call it "familiarity breeds contempt," but indifference might be a good word.  Well, that doesn't quite cut it. I do find myself able to entertain the idea that in future I would enjoy an established position in my head of treating women like sisters, but I can't quite attach the same amount of emotional weight to the idea of broadly treating men as brothers. Interesting.

I suppose some of it lies in the general difference between men and women where women tend to be more empathetic and talk others at a deeper level, and men tend to be more, "damn tranny on my van is acting up" or "if you go collect some firewood, I'll go get the coolers from the van." Men tend to be more objective and women tend to be more subjective.

(Side note: I hate generalizations because I think we all, men and women, have both masculine and feminine attributes---and all sorts of other attributes---in an astonishing array of proportions. Generalizations do hold in a statistical way, but individuals are rich beyond the scope of mere generalities.)

I should get around to a point, eh? 

Brothers and sisters...family...tribe...this is the natural order of things. Division...fear of "other"...zero sum games...looking out for number one...this is the un-natural order our social/civil/commercial structures have wrought. I reckon most are here to get back closer to the natural order. 

When I was a kid, my two sisters had their own room. They did all sorts of stuff in there...I rarely entered. My brother and I shared a room. Other than beating each other up or whipping up mischievous plans for elsewhere we didn't do much in there but sleep. 

I've got no problem with a Women's Only forum area, and I feel no need for a Men's area. My interest is mostly in getting to know my brothers and sisters here better.

tx2sturgis said:
Pardon me, is this where I sign up for the Sexual Harassment Classes?

[emoji16]. I'll get you yet Tx2!!!! I'd nominate you for that one but your humor might not be appreciated by all. Good to lighten up.

C

While drinking my first cup of coffee and having just taken my morning meds may not be the best time to respond but here goes; sexual bashing by either sex is unfair, I have no clue how a woman feels and this after having daughters, wives and friends who are female.

I did not have much contact with female Marines until late in my time in The Corps and then it was as their NCOIC. Was I fair to them? The four I wrote up and sent for an Article 15 probably will tell you no, the rest never complained and they and the rest of my subordinates knew exactly where they stood. Male and female. The only times I ever mentioned their appearance was when it did not meet my standards, again male or female.

There were females who were too friendly towards me, feminine wiles at work, I'm many things but not stupid. I know how the game is played. The few that tried it were sorely disappointed. I had one gay female and this was in the days that gay meant losing your clearance and booted out of the Military. Not just The Marine Corps, all services. I did not give a rats ass what she was, she did her job and caused me no trouble. Gave her a 10 day leave when there was a "break-up". I stopped her from telling me more because if I had been told and it was confirmed MY career would be in jeopardy if I didn't write her up.

I stand by what I wrote earlier, the comments made on the womens thread make me uncomfortable. While I have never done those things that are being written about, I will never allow myself to be put in the position where someone could take something I said as sexual.

I am sorry that women have to put up with such foolishness and believe there is a special place in Hell for molesters of any kind.

So if someone jumped on Cammilu for responding to my post and they did it in a negative way, shame on them.

But as God as my witness, I won't take the chance being alone with anyone from the thread. Period.

By the way, my last comment on this subject. Period.

I am confused. Are you worried about being falsely accused? If so, what in that thread pushed that button for you? Just wondering because I have noticed that sometimes when women I know start talking about their experiences with sexual assault in mixed company, it seems common that men in the group will express fear of false accusations and I dont know why.

Does it take a man to raise a boy right, so they respect women? Since there is such a high incidence of divorce and so many women raising boys alone, who can be blamed for the failures? And please don't interpret that as me blaming anyone. Just something to think about.

And I'm outta here...

Does it take a man to raise a boy right?

No, of course not. I know literally dozens of men who were raised without father figures who were raised right.

Putts said:
Earlier on, one of the gents mentioned seeing women from his viewpoint as sisters.
<-------->
And then I thought, "Well, if you're going to view women as sisters, you ought to consider thinking of men as brothers."
That was me.
 I have told many people including friends here that I treat everybody with the same respect initially, until they prove they don't deserve my respect.
Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Thing is it's not just respect, if you're thinking of them as brothers or sisters for realz, it's love.

(Until they prove they don't deserve it.)

slynne said:
Does it take a man to raise a boy right?

No, of course not. I know literally dozens of men who were raised without father figures who were raised right.

Young boys NEED a strong father figure, or a solid, reliable, and available, male mentor in their lives.

If they don't have that, they can have a LOT of trouble growing up and adjusting to life in a 'mans' world.

If you ask any man who grew up fatherless, I bet 90% or more will tell you it was very difficult for them and for the families and the mothers.

It DOES take a MAN to make a boy into a MAN.

Without one, the boy will likely struggle in his later teens and early 20s..and maybe for life.

As a boy, he will eventually find his way, or not, by clinging on to other dominant male figures and patterning his behaviors and actions after those role models, good, bad, or otherwise.

Even the most loving, dedicated mother can NOT teach a boy how to act, feel, and behave 'manly'.

Without the male role model, he can end up with social and behavioral issues. Not ALL the time, but often.

Of course there is no guarantee he will be fine WITH a father either, but a strong, loving father, who does a good job of raising the boy, is a HUGE asset for the boy.

Women don't, cant, and will never, understand this fully.

Men as brothers and ladies as sisters hit a particular cord with me as well. Most know where I am living and most know the environment toward LGBT here. This being said When I meet either male or female friends it is always with a hand shake and a kiss PAST the cheek. No lips to cheek as this is reserved for very close friends. Non sexual. I have often joked I ve kissed more men in Russia than at home. I have many LGBT friends, I am Canadian and culturally it is a non issue now. I honestly never think about it unless I need to shop for cloths past a t'shirt and 511 gear or if I have to operate power tools. Alaina and her partner built my deck. They are awesome at all things woodwork related and know I should never be in the possession of a professional power tool. While I BBQ'd Texas T-Bones on the grill and delivered cold beer. David loves our shopping lunches and enjoys helping me look less rural, as he puts it. I treat all of them like brothers and sisters, so perhaps extending that we are on to something.
Cheap RV Living solving life mysteries and challenges one thread at a time!

tx2sturgis said:
Women don't, cant, and will never, understand this fully.

I understand that. Last time I checked I had female parts..

I think kids need both. I was lucky.

tx2sturgis, quoting you " in a 'mans' world".
Having raised one boy to adulthood and now raising another, please explain to me this 'mans' world' of which you speak.
My son's are sensitive, caring, empathetic, strong, expressive, sharing, etc. What part of the 'mans world' did I miss? My adult son is now married and the father of 5 children. I taught and teach my son's that they must be protectors and heroes. They must never abuse someone weaker then them. They've also been taught that no problem is so big that it can't be fixed. Where have they lacked the 'male' figure that you think they need? Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.