Living out of a Bicycle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every Road Leads Home said:
 You def notice more on a motorcycle than in a car, 

When I rode my Sportster cross country and back I noticed my ass was very sore. I broke down 4 times. The guy I was with had a Honda CB 900. He didn't even need to add oil. That was the last Harley for me.

I would ruggedize this design by changing the frame to aluminum tubing or electrical conduit with a plywood floor.  Make it a flat top with 300W or 400W of solar on top.  Add a modest battery bank, a small freezer and an electric hub drive wheel on the trailer to make it a push trailer.  Attach the trailer to a good mountainbike and head out onto gravel roads to avoid traffic.  I could see living in this in Q or E-burg for the winter. Set up camp and use the bicycle to get food.

[video=youtube]

Freeze a quart of water every day when the sun shines, put it in a cooler (requires only a small battery bank). Go shopping, cook up some meals and freeze them in containers.

When you need to move up to the mountains, use sunny days to power the hub wheel and try to stay on gravel roads as much as possible.

Yup, by the time you added that much weight, you'd need the electric motor to climb

eDJ, that's a pretty cool idea, but you need more than 66" long sleeping space, or at least I do
I had thought once about lengthening a bicycle trailer

DannyB1954 said:
When I rode my Sportster cross country and back I noticed my ass was very sore. I broke down 4 times. The guy I was with had a Honda CB 900. He didn't even need to add oil. That was the last Harley for me.
Ha,  I did it with my brother and he was on a Honda as well.......between me never being able to go over 70 (comfortably) needing to stop to stretch my legs, get gas every 120 miles, overheating in traffic, etc etc he said he'd  never ride with me again!  Sold the bike after the trip and haven't owned a Harley since.  He could go a damn near 450 miles on a tank of gas!  I siphoned from his more times than I can count.

Thought about this, but it's not for me (at this time, at least).

• I like the climate control I have in my van.
  • I think taking a road bike and trailer up mountain forest roads would be a pain.
  • Don't think I could keep my two Chihuahuas safe and comfortable in all weather.

Maybe I'll do it sometime in the future. But if I went that minimalist, actually, I think I'd live out of a backpack and go on foot. I'd much rather stick to the backcountry trails and avoid roads and civilization.

I want THIS! Would be perfect for living off a bike (hell, I'd even backpack it if my bad wasn't hooped). ..Willy.

Willy said:
I want THIS! Would be perfect for living off a bike (hell, I'd even backpack it if my bad wasn't hooped). ..Willy.

That stove seems rather limiting. It looks like the only thing you can do with it is boil water. If I was to buy a wood burning stove I'd go with a Solo Stove. You can use any almost size pot. And, if you find yourself in an area where burning wood is prohibited, you can use it with a alcohol stove.

ArtW wrote:

eDJ, that's a pretty cool idea, but you need more than 66" long sleeping space, or at least I do

I had thought once about lengthening a bicycle trailer

Art,  it would be no problem to extend that design.  Even the width a little bit.  For a heavier person they may want to provide for a center support for the middle of it.  Something like a small "Jack Screw". 

What I designed has built in drop down stands mounted in the vertical corner posts and I figured "clevis pins" could be used to lock them in place so the trailer could be leveled and stable when one gets in it.   Then the bike
could be detached and used for errands or running to the bath house if in a camp ground.  A shaving kit could
Velcro strap to the bike's frame. 

I have one like this on a bike of my own.

deuter_triangle_frame_bag.jpg

Since I designed that powered trailer on that motorized bicycle message board there were some guys in northern Europe who built themselves trailers modeled after that sketch.  Last they posted they were traveling on them.  They liked the "all in one" concept, use of interior space, stealth, and overall simplicity. (from fabrication to use)   

With that said,  I don't know what it would be like operating over a long distance with a trailer pushing a bike.
I resisted using a twist handle grip throttle control for several reasons but was toying with a rod mounted to the seat tube.  Then a cyclist could have his left foot positioning the left pedal to the front of the bike and the opposite with his right foot.  Thus his right knee would  be free to press the rod like an accelerator pedal.  This rod would be spring loaded to return to center (out of the way)  and at a glance look like a support for a pack bag.
the base of the rod would be attached to cable that opens and closes the carburetor.  Thus this could be easily detached when leaving the trailer in camp.   viola !  =)  

So if a rider saw a LEO....he could begin to pedal the bicycle,  the throttle would go back to idle, the centrifugal clutch
would disengage and it would be "man powered" again within an instant.  The engine could be killed with the flip of a switch to cancel any noise it's making.  

I once considered mounting "disk brakes" on the trailer wheels so that they may conceal the sprocket drives.
Again,  I haven't operated such a trailer so I haven't been able to evaluate it in field trials.  Again that would likely require another hand control or a split hand brake (where one hand brake controls two brake systems)

This would likely activate the rear brake and trailer wheels brakes. 

Yes,  I put some thought into traveling out of a bicycle at one time.

zdual-hand-brake-bicycle.jpg

what sort of range would you expect from something like that? assuming relatively flat roads, I know hills and the rider's weight will affect that
I had got to ride a bike with electric motor for about a week once, but I always, on the owner's recommendation, used the motor as supplemental to pedal power, not primary propulsion
Here in Tx, you wouldn't need to worry about hiding the motor, not sure about other states though

Yes,  all the states have requirements for displacement and power or  electric power limits (on  electrics) for powered bicycles. 

Where my design differs is that it is a bicycle trailer and that is "a gray area" to the extent that little is written
about powered bicycle trailers in the Law.   Most of this stuff regards the motor mounted on the bicycle. 
It does state some things about trailers.  Like it can be a one wheel or two wheel trailer.  In most cases they want the bicycle with a helper motor to be operated within 24 inches of he line on the outside edge of the road.

Now a 48 inch wide trailer (3 1/2 ft of usable room inside the trailer for bed, engine compartment, and storage) may have an operator riding his bike on the "white line"  LOL.  That way the trailer would be extending no more  than 24" into the road.  (again 24" of he trailer would  be extending off the road into whatever surface exist there)    So a good mirror on the left side handlebar to see traffic coming up behind you would be necessary.

I figure most riders with a trailer like this one would ride out in the road far enough to be on the surface until something is coming up from behind and they would then pull over to let it around.

As for motor power......we were designing with Harbor Freight motors.  Some were 79cc, (3 hp)  99cc, (4 hp) and 212cc (6.5 hp).   Quite affordable and reliable.  These are 4 cycle gasoline engines. 

Any of these would move you along under their own power on flat land.  In the hill country the 212cc would be more than capable.   These engines also have governors built into them and disconnecting the governor rod to the carb will allow the operator to over ride the governor.  5800 rpm isn't unreasonable.  But the ideal gearing will keep the rig so it will stay under 25 mph.  The trailer is designed to be light weight and strong enough to carry a grown man and basically back packing gear along with a cooler for food and beverage.

In a camp ground with hiking trails,  the bike and trailer could be a hiker's base camp. Bicycle locks could secure the rig with some chain to a tree or whatever. 

Depending on where you live,  you may be able to operate this like a motorbike under engine power alone.
Pedaling the bike will just give the stealth appearance that you are powering the whole thing. 

As for range and distance,  a rider could have a small can for gasoline to refill the fuel tank.  I would guess
80+ mpg wouldn't be impossible.  Traveling on one of these for 30 or so miles in a day may be all I'd want
a well suspended saddle like an English "Brooks B73".

51Pz8qKXqSL._SY355_.jpg

1960HikerDude said:
That stove seems rather limiting.  It looks like the only thing you can do with it is boil water.  If I was to buy a wood burning stove I'd go with a Solo Stove.  You can use any almost size pot.  And, if you find yourself in an area where burning wood is prohibited, you can use it with a alcohol stove.

Nope, you can also cook with it, while heating water with an attachment that fits on top, or by using just the fire base. Tue nice thing about cooking while boiling water is that the 'chimney' concentrates the heat. [video=youtube]

1960HikerDude said:
That stove seems rather limiting.  It looks like the only thing you can do with it is boil water.  If I was to buy a wood burning stove I'd go with a Solo Stove.  You can use any almost size pot.  And, if you find yourself in an area where burning wood is prohibited, you can use it with a alcohol stove.

The Solo stove is a made in China rip of the originally made in Canada Bush Buddy Stove, now made in Alaska under Nomadic Stoves.  The owner of Nomadic Stoves was the apprentice for the man who made the Bush Buddies and when he retired he allowed him to take over.  

I have a nomadic stove and it's a great little stove, and very nice quality.  

https://bushbuddy.ca/order.html
http://www.nomadicstovecompany.com/

eDJ_ said:
. . .  This rod would be spring loaded to return to center (out of the way)  and at a glance look like a support for a pack bag.
the base of the rod would be attached to cable that opens and closes the carburetor.

With any kind of motorized bike I would want an absolute foolproof way of shutting the motor down if the throttle stuck.  With the motorized bicycles I have seen the ignition has a shutoff and the gas has a shutoff, all within reach of the rider.

So if a rider saw a LEO....he could begin to pedal the bicycle,  the throttle would go back to idle, the centrifugal clutch
would disengage and it would be "man powered" again within an instant.  The engine could be killed with the flip of a switch to cancel any noise it's making.  

I once considered mounting "disk brakes" on the trailer wheels so that they may conceal the sprocket drives.

The LEOs that I know get very suspicious when they suspect anyone of trying to hide something from them.  And they have lots of ways to make your life miserable for a while.  If your motorized bike is legal why hide it?  If it's not, why chance it?

eDJ_ said:
Yes,  all the states have requirements for displacement and power or  electric power limits (on  electrics) for powered bicycles. 

Where my design differs is that it is a bicycle trailer and that is "a gray area" to the extent that little is written
about powered bicycle trailers in the Law.   Most of this stuff regards the motor mounted on the bicycle. 

IMO it isn't "a grey area" (at least in Minnesota).  Your assembly would be considered a motorized bike subject to whatever laws govern them.

. . .  5800 rpm isn't unreasonable.  5800 rpm is very loud in any engine.

I'd want a well suspended saddle like an English "Brooks B73".

Most comfortable saddle I ever rode was the Brooks saddle.  Although it took me about 2000 miles to break it in (or did my backside break in to the saddle?).

I like the idea of putting the motor in the trailer.  Negates some of the disadvantages of pulling a trailer.  I can see how a single wheeled trailer with two attachments could work as a pusher but a two wheel trailer with a single pivoting attachment point (like a trailer hitch) is dynamically unstable.  Any movement by the bike out of line will have forces pushing it sideways.  Have you seen examples of their working safely?

-- Spiff

Say spiff.

My design had a kill switch provided for.   It may be worth using a mercury switch set such that if the frame
tilted beyond a certain angle the engine would be killed.   Thus sensing a crash.  Understand...this was only a design.  I didn't build it.  The guys in Europe liked it enough to pursue it though.   They haven't said anything about their experiences in using it.

I agree the pushing of the bicycle could be dicey at higher speeds.  Keeping it to a lower speed may just be the wise way to go and learning not to take turns or curves under power may follow that same reasoning.
That's why the special dual pull brake handle grip.  So rear most brakes could be applied and adjusted where the  trailer brakes would apply more pressure first and then with more grip the brakes to the rear tire. 

This whole thing is going to rely on the deceleration of the engine so the centrifugal clutch will disengage, putting the trailer into a coasting mode.

As for LEO's and laws from what I've seen and read some states are very precise in their definitions and others
not so much.  It would depend on where such an outfit were to be operated. 

As for these motors rpm and sound,  5800 is max output.  The mufflers on these are pretty good. Still I'm sure there is going to be an exhaust note produced. 

I think that if I were to build one from my design that I'd gear it to travel most fuel efficiently at about 10 to 15 mph.   But all I can do at this point is speculate.  You do bring up some very good points.  

I haven't seen anything except the guys photos of the sub frame they had welded up,  as I designed it.   I know nothing beyond that.

skyl4rk said:

What an epic journey! I'm starting to want a fat bike again, but for now I'll just keep riding my almost 20 year old Diamond Back.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Ha,  I did it with my brother and he was on a Honda as well.......between me never being able to go over 70 (comfortably) needing to stop to stretch my legs, get gas every 120 miles, overheating in traffic, etc etc he said he'd  never ride with me again!  Sold the bike after the trip and haven't owned a Harley since.  He could go a damn near 450 miles on a tank of gas!  I siphoned from his more times than I can count.

Back in the 70's I had a Honda 750 with a Vetter windjammer fairing, Harley saddlebags, a big tank bag and a rack. My DW and I toured all over the Southeast US on it and it never broke down once, though I did get a couple flats (hey that can happen to anything, bicycle, van, etc. right?) and went through a few chains and tires. I put over 100,000 miles on it before I sold it. I had a compression duffel bag for our sleeping bags and old school tent. We kept our clothes changes in the saddlebags (one for her and one for me) along with our camp stove and a couple propane bottles. The tools and spare parts went into the fairing. Maps, rain suits and sundries went in the tank bag. We were much hardier back then. Cost and storage space wise the most economical and practical solution would be a small compact car, however you can't go all the places you can on a motorcycle. A couple years back I bought a pair of Chinese CT-70 clones to bring along when I fulltime. They get over 100mpg, both cost less than $200/yr to register and insure and still satisfy an old man's remaining adventurous spirit. I can't imagine peddling a bicycle for thousands of miles across the desert even when young, much less at my age.

Here's are the bikes in back of my old truck with my Aliner in tow.
344pjc5.jpg

The truck's diesel engine died (at 150,000 miles) so I'm back to my old tow vehicle, as 06 Chevy Cobalt with 360,000 miles on the original motor and still running strong.
2zyzp08.jpg

It still gets over 20mpg towing and over 30 when not. The registration on the car costs $36/yr and the registration on the trailer is permanent (no annual renewal fees.)
It's adequate for 1 person but a little cramped for 2 full-timers (though it does have a full sized bed, kitchen, shower, etc.) as moving around inside is like a dance - one must zig while the other zags. We're not full-timing yet, but will in a couple years when we'll choose a medium Class A or C with the Cobalt as a toad.

Here's my idea of a minimalist set-up for a single person who is getting a little long in the tooth and unable to undergo the rigors of enduring the harsh weather and lack of comforts living on a MC or bicycle demands, not to mention pumping those pedals all day, every day. What if you twist an ankle, break a leg or get sick - especially while alone, deep in the desert? Without a motor to get you out of a tough spot, you're a statistic.
5bd3xv.jpg

Chip

Latest posts