Living in an "RV" on your own land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

me_a_conformist?

I have been searching this for a long time and am finding conflicting answers.

I went to the county to ask them this question, "can I live on my own land in an rv (any class)". The answer was a resounding NO. The only way you may be able to do it is to be building a "normal" :huh::s home. There is no way I can afford to do that. I couldn't even afford the permits!

Today I talked to a guy who restores rv's. He seemed very knowledgeable about many subjects and appeared to be honest. He told me that you could live on your registered rv for three months at a time and leave for 5 days in between each stay. I googled it and couldn't find a thing. I asked him if he knew where I could find the info and he simply said " it's been that way for years and still is".

Soooo I'm wondering if any of you seasoned folks know where I may be able to find this information.

I'm not the kinda guy who would just wing it with the chance of getting turned in by an anal retentive neighbor and end up with a litttle chunk of land that I could do nothing with.

Depends on where you live and what zoning regulations are. Generally, not always, if "mobile homes" are allowed, then RV's are allowed unless specifically disallowed. An RV is a "mobile" home.

When we start looking for our home base, we will partially use real estate agents as they will know the areas where RVs will be allowed.

It's entirely up to the local (city and county) jurisdiction. Your best luck is going to be in poor rural counties.

I have talked to agents in the area. They say there is nowhere in the county where you can do what I'd like to do. The consensus is that you cant do it in this county or any of the adjacent counties.

What I am looking for is a creative loophole. The three month on, 5 day off thing is workable for me. I just don't know if it is accurate. Finding this out is my objective. I just don't know where to look. We all know of the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. The "insiders" know creative ways around things that are legal but unorthodox and or unknown to most.

So my question is how would someone go about finding who to talk to or where to start to find out if there is a way around the "official" ( egregious in my mind) code.

"What kind of county are you in?"

One that is super finicky in respect to this kind of stuff.:dodgy:

You must look at the actual county ordinances. It may be possible to get a building permit or maybe build an equipment barn and live on the property for an extended time. They will not allow dumping of your tanks and will probably require a septic system even if you don't have a water meter. Use your internet resources and do the research.

A friend with some rural land where I live was prevented from building a cabin. An inspector he met in the elevator as he was leaving the planning department suggested building an equipment barn. So he drew a plan, got a permit, built the barn and was happily living in it last I knew.

I remember reading an article by someone who bought a cheap lot in a failed development in Hawaii and was living in the "garage". He had plans for a house with garage written up and approved, installed utilities, then got permission to build the garage first. He never got around to building the house.

Most counties in the country are so near bankrupt that they have either none or minimal people actually enforcing zoning regulations anyway. Chances are, it would take years before you were even notified that you could not. At that time, the garage idea is a nice compromise.

Otherwise, find a county that does allow it.

Up here We are allowed 14 days per year by state law.......the way I figure it is......if no-one is counting but me who,s to say how long I,m here......(I have a tough time counting past 3 !!)

None of this sounds like anyone owns anything but a tax debt and a conditional use permit. But.

If i knew what county and state you were in i could research the off grid homestead angle and look for others who have done or tried in your area. Many homesteaders seem to start in an rv. We probably will.

Many places which have the conditions you seek can be less than desirable for one reason or another. If monied interests see no value to the property it will remain casually developed and thus not profitable to enforce building codes or to even have them. The San Luis valley in colorado is such a place as well as regions of northern New Mexico. There is little to no water, political entanglement, cultural divide, brutal weather, and poor soil. But you can live in whatever you want and more or less do what you want.

There are many stories I have read about this being a relatively easy task in the thick eastern forests of Appalachia and down into the swamps. Again there is adversity to overcome as that is what keeps the development out. I don't like humidity so I did little research into this area.

I would suggest looking at public records for tax sales once you choose an area. Places conducive to rv permanence also seem to be conducive to failed dreams. If you walk the walk you'll have no trouble I think.

Off grid homestead forums I think will be your best bet for what you seek.

New Mexico State Parks has a real deal with an annual camping permit is $100 to $225.

Electric is $4 extra per day.

Campers may reside in a park for a maximum of 14 days during a 20 day period.
Campers shall completely remove camping equipment and gear from the park for 7 calendar days during the 20 day period.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/FeesPermits.html

staying on topic...

Is this land that you already own?? Inherited??

you can't afford a permit for a small shack structure??

call me an outlaw if you will, but I'd just park on the land and move around the property every few weeks. what's the worst thing they can do??

B'sides, if this county is this anal about things, then it doesn't sound like a place I'd wanna live anyways. I don't do well around closed minded people.

Well they can fine you (probably after giving you a warning).

But the big problem is that you now have a piece of land you can't use. A lot of people here have limited resources and just can't afford to have the substantial majority of their assets tied up in a piece of land they can't use. [the way I read the OP is that he hasn't purchased any land yet.]

Talked to another real estate agent that has been working the area for years. She told me the county does not allow compost toilets. She said it was irrational but factual. She also said it is iron clad that you may not live in an RV for any amount of time unless you are in the midst of building a "normal" home. She said people do it but they are taking a big chance of ending up with expensive useless land.

Permits for building even a shack (including "tiny houses' and yurts) to live in are around 50K!!!:mad: The county directly above is around 7-8K. Go figure?!

me_a_conformist? said:
Permits for building even a shack (including "tiny houses' and yurts) to live in are around 50K!!!:mad: The county directly above is around 7-8K. Go figure?!

Translation: They don't want any 'tiny houses', shacks, or yurts.

Local governments and school districts are dependent on property taxes for their operating funds. Not only would your rv be practically untaxable itself, if you bring down the property values in the neigborhood, you reduce the amount of taxes they can collect from your neighbors.

You need to move somewhere else if you want to be free to live the life you want to live.

Regards
John

Yep, here in wv (north Appalachian) you can live in just about anything. If you are in an 'unincorporated' area you have almost no laws or building codes..tho epa can get on you about some things if someone calls.

Maybe this area your in isn't for you

Dang. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'd move on. Neeeeext!

Other then these outlandish-pun intended-codes, it's the greatest place in the US to live inMyO. Redwoods, Ocean, rolling vineyards, close to the greatest city in the US - SF.

I also have a lot of very hard to move stuff in storage here.

It is what it is and I will find another solution.:D