Is what you seek really still a thing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Reaction score
Is what you seek really still a thing?

For context, I'm shopping for a box truck to build out, that I might go in search of a cool place and resettle there.  But it seems that every day I read or see on TV something severely horrifically uncool happening, and hey I thought that was a cool place, that was on my list of places to go.  I keep getting reinforced in my fear that my 3 acres in West Central Louisiana is the last coolest place on earth.  I'm getting vibes telling me not only to stay home, but to dig in.  Places in America are beginning to remind me of Iraq, and I'm not in a hurry to go "full Mad Max." 

I'm interested to know if you are finding what you are searching for, or still have a feeling that it's still just over the horizon.  I'm interested to know if you are able to avoid those things that you had hoped to avoid.  I wonder if you are at peace, or are finding enclaves of peace, and how scary it is getting from one enclave to another.  

Stay safe.

Maybe if I owned land, I'd be having some of the misgivings you seem to be having.

But I don't, and I'm not.

The places 'veI always loved and always wanted to spend more time in are still here. The virus does prevent me from spending time in some of the places - especially National Parks - that I wanted to get to this year, but they'll still be around next year. OTOH, because of the virus, many places are less crowded than they usually are this time of year.

Most people and places are peaceful, and if I run into a scary enclave, I do what I've always done - drive on.

In Utah anyway park attendance is 131% of last years and it seems higher in places with lakes or water sports. Even BLM land seems more occupied right now but as people go back to work it will be mainly weekends. Arizona was really crowded till it got hot or at least it seemed so to me. Montana seems to be advertising for healthy people to come visit but with the lack of testing and tracking I don’t know how many could honestly say they were well. Many of the parks that are open have been over run and until I see cases of spray Lysol on store shelves I’m hiding out being as much of a hermit as I can.

Thomas said:
Stay safe.

That's it. You have to roll with the punches.

In my lifetime I've seen America go thru a lot of strife and most of us just keep changing and adjusting to the times.

I'll soon be off to the mountains to see what I can see....and that's a lot in this big 'ol country.

We made a decision in March to stay away from large population areas and chose rural Nevada as a good place to wait out the virus. It's been a good decision for us. The elevation in the state varies a lot so we have a good range of temperatures. There's plenty of BLM and forest land. It's been quiet, peaceful, and mostly unpopulated. We'll keep circling around the state and maybe stop again at some of the beautiful boondocking spots that we've discovered until the situation with coronavirus comes to some type of conclusion.

I think other nomads have found the same type of forest and BLM camping in the western states and are doing fine. I'm not sure it will be as easy if you stay in the east.

I am waiting on a couple of things to arrive and I am off. I am going to Jackson Hole to look for a job for a couple of months. Hope the parks are open or it is going to get interesting.
This 'plague' is going to burn out sooner or later. Personally I think it has been massively overblown and more and more people are starting to realize that you can't let this dictate your life. I will not wear a mask or abide by any of this nonsense. If I catch it I catch it. I've had a good life.
I doubt anything will happen. Unlikely to catch dengue fever, ebola or malaria either. Life goes on you can't hide. Anyway more rural places are quite safe.
Then there is the lawless stuff. Again not going to happen anywhere I am going. Who wants to go to Los Angeles, Chicago or Atlanta anyway? 
I strongly suspect that the north rim of the Grand Canyon should be relatively looter free.

First step. Don't spend a lot of hours watching and reading the news. That causes people a lot of anxiety and it is often intended to do so by the people controlling the media who have personal agendas they want to accomplish through the use of fear tactics. Keeping up with what is going on is good, just moderate your consumption of the news. If you are having trouble moderating your intake of the news read articles that will assist you in that goal.

Do not lock into this as being a situation will become an "unhappily forever after". Things will change, hopefully there will be some much needed improvements. But this is not Armagedon, it is however going to be a year that goes into the history books. There is a curse I have seen quoted that feels very appropriate...."may you live in interesting times". That is because "interesting times" are not a lot of fun to go through, boring times are so much more relaxing. This is one of those "interesting times", they come and they go, history has proven that. Let things shake out this next year and then see how it feels. In other words...this too shall pass.

Most of all remember this is an election year, of course there are protest happening. November feels like it is a long ways off as does the vaccine for this virus. I am looking forward to that return of no news is good news.

As mentioned first, turn off the TV.

Proceed at your own pace to small town america. Best is rural areas. 99% of the world wants peace and quiet and it's really easy to find it. Careful or you will drive right past it.

Thomas, I've been living in the west and far west since the 1980s, and have traveled very extensively in all states west of the 100th meridian during that time. It's not really like Broken Hill in New South Wales, where the Road Warrior was filmed. There are not really roaming bands led by people like the Humungus, fighting over resources, at least not yet. Things were totally out of control in many parts of the US back in March and April, but we are hoping things stabilize over the next few months. Even in the worst times, the supply chain kept humming along, and that's the critical factor for society.

There have been isolated pockets of violence all over, even in some modest size towns, and its not always one side thats responsible. Im a cynic, I think both sides have their own hyperbolic narrative. Anyway, staying away from large cities, staying very attentive to the area and whats going on around you at all times, and taking care of business before evening is likely going to yield desired results as far as being safe from political violence.

Virus. Again see comment above regarding politically oriented hyperbolic narrative. I think both polar opposites are responsible for poor information. Being cautious is a good plan rather than making a political statement. id rather say "I remember when we were wearing masks...", or pink underwear, or whatever the general medical community feels is smart, than not and realizing later it was a good idea and hoping you werent responsible for more people getting sick or dying than necessary. If it didnt help at all medical people wouldnt be wearing them. Thats enough for me for now, and its not particularly intrusive to wear one when inside public places or otherwise close to filthy humans. :)

Ive been enjoying being able to ride a bit, theres been much less daytime traffic compared to average times. the virus hasnt been extremely strong where ive been, so its not a hard lockdown, and I dont think most of the country has been on hard lockdown, just very reduced business activities. I havent worried about being out on basic needs, like groceries and building materials for something im trying to get done for mom. For the most part, you can get gas without contact, and get groceries as needed in most places without too much drama. I traveled cross country a couple weeks ago, didnt seem like much of a big deal, just mainly drive throughs for fast food and pay at the pump gas. Everyone is fairly good about keeping some distance, fine with me. Ive carried little pocket bottles of hand sanitizer for 15 or more years anyway, Im just more careful than normal now. Life goes on. I have little doubt that when Im able to travel on my own initiative again that the places I love will still be there and still be accessible.

I have to agree with HDR.  Most of us feel comfortable when in the familiar surroundings we grew up in,  with family & friends, and so forth.  But that can be a false reality and often it proves to be.   Those around a person wanting to leave in a Van rig to go Nomad may deliberately make loved ones feel less comfortable as they depend on having the "gang" all together for their own feeling of "security & comfort".   But in the end the one who is wanting to leave (because he or she is uncomfortable there) makes the others there and wanting to stay put.....uncomfortable.  

The news media is always pushing "bad news" as it motivates people's fears,  which may cause them to change.   People usually don't change when they are comfortable.  Notice the types of "commercials" that are aired when the "bad news" is being reported.   Often sponsors tell the TV Station sales rep's that they expect so much return on their advertising dollars spent with them.....or else they will turn elsewhere to get what they demand.   This is especially true with "weather" reporting.  (where I live the weather forecast seems to always be sponsored by hardware stores, power equipment businesses, occasionally car dealers should a tree blow over on your car an those ad's when they can show that having happened, and grocery store chains)  Even if it is a top 10 weather day and beautiful the grocers will benefit when pictures of people picnicking, boating, etc are shown.

There are a lot of "Leaders" who rely on fear tactics to manipulate their public.  (I'll say no more) 

As that old saying goes:  "Better the certainty of misery than the misery of uncertainty" ,  seems to hold true.   We fear most what we don't know.   
But those of us who are brave enough, do their homework well,  and take well calculated risk in reasoned measure, are the ones who ultimately gain and prosper. So much of what you will need for that is right here in this forum.

eDJ_ said:
I have to agree with HDR. 
As usual around here, 20 people and 20 different opinions. I have to disagree with HDR, at least in part. TV is pretty worthless in general, but we always need to stay informed about what is going on in the outside world. We can't simply camp away in the desert and ignore the rest of creation, until it comes over and bites us on the ass. 

The more we know, the better we can filter out the BS, and we really need to know how to do this in today's world. There is no wonderful nirvana we can go to and hide. The grass only looks greener, as several people have said.

Although Jefferson did and said a lot of what is reprehensible in today's world, he understood the need to have a "well-informed" populace. But I believe he meant a "rational" populace, and not one overly driven by emotionality based upon a single instance. He said: "... wherever the people are well informed they can be trusted with their own government; that whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights ...". Emotionality may help in the latter aspect, but can also be self-defeating, as we are seeing right now.

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/jefferson/60.html

Enjoy Shopping for and building out your box truck, you will get to use it eventually. I think 3 acres in Louisiana can be the coolest place. A large garden,a bunch of fruit trees, a place to store supplies, a good water supply, a few close friends can be Utopia if you relax with it. This business of wondering around in a desert alone is not all it is cracked up to be, especially in the US at this time. The stressed, unpredictable militarized police that vary from county to county you never know what you are driving into, the loony patriots, the crazy religious types, the trumpets, the anti trumpets, the 2nd amendmenters, the 1st amenmenters, the right, the left, Antifa, the pandemic, the kkk, the black lives matter, Canadians must feel like they are living above a meth lab and the rest of the world are just wondering what next. A smalll parcel of land with the ability to grow things may be the coolest place.......for now.

If I were out sitting on primitive camping areas listening to the news reports I could see where I might feel that the world is in chaos and that cities are being overrun by out of control gangs of violent protestors. But try to remember the protests tend to be focused in areas where there are stores to break into, lots of police at their precinct buildings and other local authorities in government offices to butt heads with. I am doing my build in Seattle but I am not in the protest areas of town so I have not seen anything remotely resembling anarchy conflicts in my daily life.

I have need once or more a week to go out and buy items for my build project. No problem with being able to get those as the stores that supply lumber, hardware, adhesives, auto parts, paint, fabrics, electrical supplies and such are still open because they are considered "essential".

The free campsites are still out there waiting for me to enjoy them. There have been some temporary closures but lots of them are now open in counties that have had restrictions lifted. No doubt the ones close in to areas of higher population are going to be pretty busy this summer but that is normal.

I don't think Thomas the OP is referring to the virus.

"But it seems that every day I read or see on TV something severely horrifically uncool happening" and   "I'm getting vibes telling me not only to stay home, but to dig in.  Places in America are beginning to remind me of Iraq, and I'm not in a hurry to go "full Mad Max." 

This sounds to me like he is referring to the violence, not the virus.

When I was a kid, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the parents told us kids we were gonna build a bomb shelter in the back yard.  We got our friends and shovels and started digging.  The Crisis ended and the parents said we don't need a bomb shelter anymore, so keep digging, it will be a swimming pool.  Once we got all the sod dug up, they said it was going to be a garden.  What?!?!  A Garden?!  Our friends were not happy with us.

I am digging in.  Maybe it will turn out to be a garden, who knows?  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

My wife, and I had big plans of buying 100 acres in Southern Kentucky to build our dream homestead that would be mostly self sufficient, and off grid capable when we retire in a few years. I see how much time, and effort it takes to accomplish some of our farm projects on our 10 acres here in Northern Ohio, and what major physical exertion does to our energy, and bodies. We have both decided to make the farm where we have lived for 25 years as good as we can make it instead.

We do like to camp in our travel trailer, but can't see ourselves downsizing to a van. Neither one of us are social people, so this Covid deal is pretty much business as usual.

Stargazer said:
I don't think Thomas the OP is referring to the virus.

This sounds to me like he is referring to the violence, not the virus.

True but he also asks, "I'm interested to know if you are finding what you are searching for, or still have a feeling that it's still just over the horizon.  I'm interested to know if you are able to avoid those things that you had hoped to avoid."

I would think most nomads already avoid the big cities where all the protests and incidents of violence are happening.

When you're mobile that's easy to do.

For a lot of us the chance of getting COVID in the cities is more of a problem and we want to head out to sparsely populated national forests and enjoy nature which is definitely still "over the horizon".

what we truly seek is never really physical in nature, like a homestead is great if you find your peace, a van on the road is fine if you find your peace. I don't 'do scary Covid or violence areas and crazy life' to stop me ever. I want what I feel is inside of me to be me and live how I want with the peace I desire to make me well rounded to suit me.
Well, ya'll know what I mean. Do you as you want and nothing can be wrong in that :) Happiness is key to life and vibrancy to do what you want, follow that path. I do and I love my life but I 'do want' some change and I am working toward it as I need. All any of us can do!

My desires were simple: I just wanted peace and community. 

Unfortunately, when I'm around any community, I have no peace. Any time I'm around other vandwellers I find it seriously disheartening. About 2/3 of the time, if I talk to a person long enough, they start dropping what I call "racist shibboleths." They say little things that are only slightly racist to see how I'll react. If I merely don't agree then they quickly start making things up to paint me as the bad guy and things quickly go south from there. Then you have the homophobes who drop "homophobe shibboleths." It's gotten to where I am almost afraid to even talk to other white people, because they are likely to just expect that I am a racist homophobe just like them.

My very first encounter with vandwellers was an exercise in frustration. It was at Jamie's Van Build Party, November of 2018. Almost every male I encountered was just a non-stop fountain of insults. Like we were still in high-school and they had to establish some kind of pecking order. I was working on mounting my solar panels in a manner that has now been acclaimed by many as ingenious. But, because no one had seen someone do that before, I was ridiculed at every single step. Narcissistic YouTubers roamed the area, trying to get people to do stuff for them for free while they wandered off playing YouTuber. Yes, I met a few nice guys. 50% of them were from Canada.

On my second encounter with other vandwellers, at one of the caravan locations, I had two major incidents. When I first arrived, some guy's dog just ran up and jumped in my car. The owner told me the dog did that to everyone and that I had to keep my car doors closed to keep his dog out of my car. I simply told him that it was not my responsibility to keep his dog out of my car and that I was not going to keep my car closed up on a hot day because he couldn't control his dog. So the guy goes off on me and then goes around telling everyone that I was an asshole. (No. I was not an asshole.)

Later that night, at the camp fire, two guys on either side of me were taking about gun control. I merely mentioned that I believe in the second amendment but believe we do need some gun control, especially to prevent seriously mentally ill people from having guns. This was after yet another mass shooting. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This guy just started going off on me because "There should never be any gun control of any kind!" [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]He[/font][/size][/font][/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] eventually threatened to beat me up. [/font][/size][/font][/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]And no one said a thing to defend me. Not a single soul, of the twenty or so that were there, even bothered to tell him to chill out.[/font][/size][/font][/size]

And then the coronavirus hit. It seems as if everyone but me, Bob, and Suanne are utterly ignoring it. Even friends I had made previously rolled their eyes at me when I said I didn't want to go any closer. Crowds of vandwellers packed in like sardines in already overcrowded campgrounds, standing around talking to each other, only one or two feet apart. No thank you.

And almost no one is responsible with their dog. Some dogs can actually catch Covid-19. But even if they don't have the disease, they can be an "excellent" transmission vector. What thing do people rub their faces all over and breath directly onto all damn day? Their dogs. What thing has acres of surface area worth of hair to trap and harbor the virus? Dogs. What things have wet noses to sustain a virus for the longest possible time? Frikkin dogs! Normally, I love dogs. But now? There is no way I am petting your dog. When your off-the-leash dog comes running up to stick it's virus-harboring nose all over me, I don't want it anywhere near me. Yet, if I take any action to keep it away from me, I am the asshole. I understand that this confuses most dogs. They have been spoiled into expecting every human to pet them. So, because I won't pet it and try to keep it away from me, your dog decides I am an enemy. Now it starts barking and growling at me. So you tell me if I just pet it it will like me. Guess what, it is not my responsibility to get your dog to like me. It is your responsibility to control it and keep it away from me. Even supposedly liberal people turn into absolute assholes and threaten violence if you challenge their "right" to be irresponsible dog owners. And of course they always swear I am being unreasonable because their dog would never bite anyone. Every single dog that has ever bitten anyone has an owner who claimed it would never bite anyone. Including the ones that have bitten me.

So, I am now very wary of other vandwellers. I'll have a nice 10'-away conversation with them in the Walmart parking lot. I'm happy to give some advice about their solar or whatnot. But I am literally afraid of talking too long. I'm definitely afraid of them parking within a "dog's roam" of me.

So, as a result, I am incredibly lonely. 

I'm sure there will be some who insist on commenting that I must be a jerk, when anyone who knows me knows better. I am very skinny. And most people, men and women, assume I should just let people walk all over me. When I do not, they lie to themselves and everyone around, including me, [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]saying[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] I was a jerk. Ask any black person or woman, standing up for myself is not being a jerk. It is my right and duty as a human being.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So, anyway, I did not find what I was looking for, and I despair that I ever will.[/font]