Is what you seek really still a thing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoveCareThinkDo said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So, anyway, I did not find what I was looking for, and I despair that I ever will.[/font]
Two points. First, everything is relative, and there are no absolutes (other than death). Finding the "perfect" thing in life is a dream left over the hippie-60s (note that the communes basically all failed) and from when we were young and naive. The alternative is try make what we can out of each day. Small positive steps along the way, rather than despair on a global scale. And yer stomach will thank you for it.

Secondly, in regards those people you met in the caravan. Very bad scene. The problem is, this society overall ... repeat, overall ... has become totally polarized, and people have become overly emotional in their polarization. The only good option is to avoid such people whose thinking is radically different from your own. It takes only 1 short second to figure this out, and then ... simply adapt.

Oh sorry, so the OP not talking about how to be a dweller during a pandemic.

@lovecarethinkdo
I will have to say that I also think the life I seek is a thing of the past, or at least unattainable in the present. Beautiful places are flattened by expanding asphalt jungles. You can expect to be crowded by others even way out there. And people spew mountains of trash that sully the wild places. If you do find a special place and buy it to save it and keep it for yourself,  you can expect someone to come along and  ruin it, energy developers, bad neighbors, drive by shooters, trespassers and maverick cows in your petunias. 

So if there was something beautiful you saw or experienced today, hold onto that moment however fleeting. It is all there is.
-crofter

I've deleted the posts that dealt exclusively with coronavirus as this is not the topic of the OP's post. Please try to stay on topic.

Having the best time of my life, outside birth of children

If I let go of judgment and stay in the moment, often as my monkey brain will allow, I can create (perspective) a reality that is minimally impacted by things I can't control.

And, change, it seems, is the only constant. I can embrace or resist it.

Sometimes grief is involved in embracing it however resisting it is a source of suffering, in my world.

I have become much less tolerant of group dynamics as I’ve gotten older, and empathize with LCTD’s experience of what amounts to group bullying.

It seems that established groups can tend to devolve over time, and take on characteristics as a group that individuals might abhor.

That said, I continue to meet wonderful individuals here and there, who are kind, emotionally generous and not quick to judge and target those who are different from them.

Some have become friends I stay in touch with, others I just enjoy and appreciate during the time and space they occupy in my life.

As for unruly dogs, I don’t hesitate to give a firm “NO” and outstretched hand with palm forward to a dog whose owner doesn’t step up when their pet is intruding or otherwise becoming a bother.

Most dogs will respond to this, and I can then effectively manage my own little corner of the world.

Grew up in a place where a lot of people are employed in the visual media and it’s a fantasy. Even news reports have a story line and a side. I’ve seen so much manipulation and twisting. I am so peaceful without a tv and a radio that I just listen to music. My favorite possession is my Kindle and my $9.99 unlimited use plan.
As far as people I’m not a big fan but that’s because I was raised in a way that made me not trust. I don’t in my heart believe people are users or bad I just prefer some distance. But I read a post on this thread where the person was complaining bitterly about people and judging them yet that person felt s/he should be wholly accepted and his/her views were correct while these people were wrong. No one is a victim. I say this as a minority who doesn’t even fit in with my own “people” I don’t fit in anywhere but since I don’t care and I respect differing views I’m not a victim. I can talk to people and enjoy them even if we differ on politics, religion etc seems like some people can’t. Mutual respect is a thing. Don’t give it and you won’t get it.

Anyway this country is unbelievably enormous and it’s far from ruined. I drove 21 hours within my own state to see where one of my best friends is moving and there was nobody most of the way. But if you watch tv the world is ending and this country is finished. Fear brings ratings and television is 100% about ratings.

Oh and I was working 3 blocks from the second riots in Los Angeles. Taught one of Rodney King’s kids and even that was a small self-contained area with little break outs but the media made it look like the entire city was burning.

Qxxx said:
Thomas, I've been living in the west and far west since the 1980s, and have traveled very extensively in all states west of the 100th meridian during that time. It's not really like Broken Hill in New South Wales, where the Road Warrior was filmed.
Uhh, I think you will find Mad Max was filmed in country Victoria, Australia where I live. 
Its funny how they marketed the movie to you yanks as the Road Warrior.

Only ever called Mad Max, Mad Max 2, Mad Max "Beyond Thunderdome", Mad Max "Fury road" here.

Just glad to live in the land Downunder, where the women glow and men plunder.......

Two things to remember; one the closer you are to a city, the more chaos you can find. It has been that way since Dodge City 1859. The second is except for the weather, forget the media news, the media world feeds off of fear and dread, that's what sells. In reference to the current events; I'm white and have been staying just North of NYC through this whole covid ordeal. I interact with nonwhite individuals everyday and everyone is just as friendly and courteous as they always were for the past 20+ years that I have been in the Northeast. If you are kind and real with others, no matter who they are, peace will return to you. When people live from fear, they create more fear.

There are some that live with the fear of nomads, believing that we are crooks, mentally ill, etc. Is it justified? Should I be afraid of you?

Peace to you my friend, follow your heart to wherever it is you want to be.

rokguy said:
Uhh, I think you will find Mad Max was filmed in country Victoria, Australia where I live. 
Its funny how they marketed the movie to you yanks as the Road Warrior.
Just to clarify, as I recall, in america Mad Max "2" was called the Road Warrior, and it was filmed in Broken Hill, NSW. Hell, Mad Max (1) was basically filmed in a city and at the beach, not out in the wasteland. (please agree, it's not fun 'always' being wrong, lol).

https://www.madmaxmovies.com/making/madmax/

https://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-2-the-road-warrior/
https://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-2-the-road-warrior/filming-locations/index.html

Qxxx said:
Just to clarify, as I recall, in america Mad Max "2" was called the Road Warrior, and it was filmed in Broken Hill, NSW. Hell, Mad Max (1) was basically filmed in a city and at the beach, not out in the wasteland. (please agree, it's not fun 'always' being wrong, lol).

https://www.madmaxmovies.com/making/madmax/

https://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-2-the-road-warrior/
https://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-2-the-road-warrior/filming-locations/index.html

A tiny part of that movie was filmed in outback NSW (Broken Hill) the majority of all the films was shot in country Victoria. Not more than 150kms from Melbourne.
Last year they even had a 40th anniversary for the first one in Clunes, Victoria about 100km from where I'm based.

The first 2 movies were great until bl**dy Hollywood got involved.