Intro and what an RV will mean to me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryannis

Reaction score
Hi all!! Just an intro and some thoughts.

Have camped all my life. We've done 'em all... tent, pop up, VW van, travel trailer and motorhome. Quite the challenge growing up in a family with 4 girls, but we always had fun. I adopted some of this later on in my 30's with my last hubby, having some 21' C's up to 31' class A's. One 16' flatbed camper that was modified to pull behind a regular truck that housed me for 6 weeks once. Hey, it was free at the time and I needed it. All were unique in their own way.

So here I am now, 43 and widowed with one grown daughter. Oddly enough, I now work in an RV business owned by family. I'm around them all the time. The ones I see every day are the higher end 5th wheels, and not what I'm after.

Currently own an older 29' Class A, he's 31 years old. Looking to upgrade a little and specifically want to get into a Class C again. Just like them better, I feel better driving them. Have my eye on one and crossing fingers it will still be there when I sign the sale of my house in 10 days. Will have a little stash and a plan.

So here's the plans and the why's. :p (some of these are out there, bear with me)

Will always have a house to live in. Will be paying cash for it, so if things get dire and if needed, can park it and have a roof and a soft bed. Late hubby had cancer he fought for 2 years, I know what all they can take, and it's scary. I want the security along with the mobility.

Your own stuff. You decide what is important, what is needed, where it goes. And it's yours. You take it with you. You get your bed the way you like it. Decorate it. Personalize it.

Extra wheels if needed. Being single and having one vehicle, it's a spare if my regular wheels hit the skids. May not be the best in mpg but I won't be stranded. Also considering adding a rack for my bike.

It's furnished. Am going through a minimalist phase, as well. Sick of the excess crap!! Everything that is going in will have a purpose and a place. Selling the rest.

Possible off grid. Would eventually like a piece of permanent land as a home base, and go off grid. You could outfit an rv or use a lot of the stuff to go with off grid. Not super easy, but do-able.

Coincides with the love of tiny house and less is more. Added bonus is you can move it. If I ever needed to or get a wild hair can take off to wherever to find work or escape.

In my experience, people that camp are just plain nice!! Most everyone is friendly and you get to hear a lot of stories and get different perspectives. You don't have many snobby "I'm better than you"s'.

Weed out the toxic people. Would rather not be friends with people that turn their nose at my choice.

At the moment am living with someone, but who knows what life throws at you. The perks of that now is he's mechanically inclined (I know, mean of me to think that), so can make sure she's mechanically sound. Another is I'm not out much $ to live here, so the longer I'm here the more $$ I can put aside. I don't think home ownership is for me. If I'm honest with myself I should admit I detest yard work. Mowing in 100 degrees is not my idea of fun. Along with obtaining and maintain the mower. And weed eater. Etc., etc. I can stay in a local RV park for less than rent is around here, and they usually do the yard work. I don't own much outside stuff, so that works, too. And no loan on it, so I can get by cheaper than an apartment or home ownership.

Cheap insurance. Right now I'm paying $142 a month for home insurance. I paid $47 for the whole year on current rv. Umm.. heck yeah! Taxes on house, $731 a year. Tags on older rv, maybe $150? Not sure yet on that one.

Oh, utilities... The house I have (soon to be 'had') wasn't that great on heat/cooling. 1008 sqft, electric in summers was in the $200 a month range (keeping thermostat at 82, I kid you not), and gas in winter was about $150. CFL light bulbs, hand washing dishes, hung clothes on drying rack, I did it all, still had high bills. RV parks with hookups would still be cheaper over all. Add solar panels, alternative heating (looking in to that to save on propane), building tolerance to climate, etc... could save, am researching into this.

Did I mention the ability to get out and see the world??? haha.. Think I've rambled on long enough. So many, many reasons why I'm doing this. If you've read this far, kudos!! Hope to see you all around a campfire sometime! :)

Welcome to the forums! It looks like you've been planning this for awhile. Sounds all good to me. Good luck with the house sale and RV search. Keep us updated!

Welcome. Sorry to hear of your husbands passing, glad you are looking at the future and doing something about it now.

Hello Ryannis!!

well, it sounds like you've got a very good grasp of the whats, whys, and how's of doing this, so you're miles ahead of most of the newcomers!
Are you gonna keep the old class 'A', or will you sell it on commission on the family's lot...or can you trade it for the 'C'??? (tha'd be cool!!)

so what part of the country do you call home?? What kind of hobbies do ya have?? any critters??

oh...and pictures!! Post up some pictures of the new class C when you get it!! :D

Welcome to the forum!!

Patrick from Oregon

Ryannis, You sound like one "got it all together lady". Welcome to the forum.

Thanks all!! Sorry I got long winded, lol. I have been looking in to the best possible choice for my situation and just wanted to affirm (to myself) the decision is my best one. Have been considering finding land and building tiny or buying an older house outright or buying an RV.

Weighed the good and the bad, RV has won out. The late hubby and I had a lot of fun times, I know he would approve. He always got tickled when I got a wild hair and took off to the little lake across town to just chill and solo camp. Or when I would 'camp' in the backyard. Have had a long time love of tiny cottages in the backyard as an escape, so I used the RV as one. Many of times you could find me cooking dinner out there. Or studying while in school. Reading out there was the best!

Am living in the good ole bible belt, that place between where Kansas blows and Texas sucks. Ie. Okiehoma. In my life, though, I have seen all of the lower 13 states through camping, but not any of the upper states. That really should be fixed! lol

Don't have any pics yet, would send the link, but don't want anyone to snatch up my rig, haha. It's a 29' Class C, they're asking $6500. Will add some if I get her. :D

Critters, oh yeah!! One very spoiled rat terrier rescue doggy named Chevy. She's been with me for over 10 years. She loves camping! Really loves getting hot dog tidbits lol. She used to be jumpy when we went years ago, but now she just curls up on the couch or sticks her nose to the window to see stuff.

Not sure what's gonna happen with the Class A... Man-friend put a lot of sweat into the motor and stuff to get him, Georgie, going strong. He really likes it and says he wants to keep it for now. I'm thinking once he takes a few trips in the C that will change, bwahahaha. If we do decide to sell, I am a licensed dealer at the dealership.. just not sure if the family will like that old ugly thing sitting next to their $150,000 rigs to sale, haha. There's always craigslist. :cool:

Time to read up on here. :blush:

You've got a wonderful plan and I think you are setting yourself up for a wonderful life!

You aren't alone in wanting to have an RV to scratch the itchy feet and a little piece of land for an off-grid cabin for roots. The two work extremely well together! I just bought an acre in Arizona and when I get older I'll put some tiny house on it for my old age. Nearly everything I've leaned and bought as a vandweller can easily be transferred to a little cabin.

We're glad you're here!! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Bob

Welcome and good luck! That is some thorough analysis.

Six supposed days to sale of home. It never really is on the initial aimed for date, is it? A few little tinkerings for inspections to pass and of course their loan officer is out of the office til Thursday. /rolls eyes.

Until then, am still avidly reading, reading, reading.

The idea hit me of a possible work on the road solution, travel tech. I'm a registered xray tech, and there are travel positions all over. At their pay rate, I can quite easily work the 13 weeks contract and live on that for the whole year. What an eye opener! Work 4 months, take off 8 months. Coolness!!! Must keep up with my dang CE credits to stay compliant.

Or I could ride it out here.. working my Mon-Fri easy peasy job at the rv place and stash money away taking trips as often as I can until... until... *sigh*

Yep, that's right... the sigh. Until what?? I know many on here struggle to come to terms with how to break away. Family is the hardest, I think. Our family is pretty tight, yet, in a weird way, I think most would get me taking off.

Hey, question just popped into my head: Do you think it's easier to full time solo people that are introverts?? I'm quite happy with alone times and having to be around people for any length of time really wears me out. Going out alone, on my own, where I want, as social or not as I want, is just really very appealing. Visit peeps when you want to, but get away to recharge. I like my space and being able to escape to it, and would just take it with me, yet still be able to get out and see things.

Well, anyways... guess I should get back to acting like I'm working instead of reading here, haha... Now for more watching people drive off in their getaways and being jealous, ahhhh....

actually, living on the road is GREAT for an introvert. The only people that you'll need to talk to are the guys at the gas stations, and folks at the grocery store. And these are quick business transactions, and you're on your way. It's not like you need to have a long conversation with 'em...unless you're in the mood to do so.

Family can be kept in contact with through the interwebs, and that includes US!! :D

I actually think you'll find that MOST of the folks living this lifestyle are more introverted than not. We travel solo, or as couples and small familys...but tend to stick to ourselves.
If we do happen across another traveler/vandweller...then it's like finding a like-minded kindred spirit or lost family member, and stories of roads traveled, sights seen, and things encountered on the road will be a pleasant break from the solitude.

You sound to me, like someone who'll find their way on this journey....NO SWEAT!

Definitely read some books and watch the few interviews with Neil Peart if you are wondering about introverts on the road.

I'm definitely introverted and life is just easier on the road. When I'm in Salem or Albany Oregon, there are too many people that think since I'm not working regular, that I should help them in some way. Or they want to monopolize my time. I gotta get better at saying NO!

Good question and dig the responses. I wonder the same, as I'm definitely an introvert but am accustomed to having people around. Being truly alone out there is another level.

Have a closing date, location, and time. Woot!!! Monday at 11am I shall be signing on the house. With luck that afternoon I will be test driving my hopeful new rig and have cash in hand. Am already planning some dry runs for upcoming weekends, hehe.

Next month will be having my 25th high school reunion in south Texas. I've weighed all the pro's and con's of the 10+ hour trip and $ for $ driving my not so effiecient SUV or the RV or flying.... flying and hotel came out the most expensive, and the SUV and staying in hotel came out a little more expensive than taking the RV. Problem though, can not find an RV park with an opening for me. I'd be dreaming if I thought I could boondock in that humid hot weather, I'm not conditioned for that yet, lol. The area for my 5 day trip is the Corpus Christi, north Padre Island and Port Aransas areas.

Have considered trying out if I could just park in the hotel parking lot where my friend is staying, but would require the use of the generator, and being an RV is a sure sign of a 'no-no'. My lil sis lives on north Padre and have considered parking on her street, might be feasible. As she has just gotten herself a new rig, not sure how much space would be available or if I could hook up to her power. Water and holding tanks should do me well for 5 days, just concerned about power. I could use the generator, but... (yes, I consider all, lol) the area she lives in is nice, not sure how neighbors would take it. Picture million dollar homes, 2 blocks from the ocean, on a canal with ocean access.. not sure how they'd be with a noisy generator going, lol. Thoughts on running a power cord for length from road, across yard, and to her house?? Would I need a more heavy duty plug in to run the A/C than an outside outlet? Seems like I've done that many times in the past without issue. Heavy duty cord, yes, but the plug in? Of course, have many weeks to weigh all the scenarios.

Of course, this is assuming it's in great running shape motor-wise, the dash A/C works (current one does not, and it's miserable, lol. Not driving 10+ hours sweating the whole time), generator works for stopping for lunches and such, no leaks, etc., etc.... My lil SUV isn't the most comfortable to ride in, the RV should provide a more comfy ride.

Have also thought about getting a toad. Looking in to it. Ahhhh... plans!!! :) Aren't they fun!!

Seeing that Corpus Christi is on the gulf, there should be places where you can camp next to the water, which'll make it cooler inside for yas. How far out from the city limits have you checked for places to stay??

As for staying at your sister's and running a power cord out there, I wouldn't see why that was a problem in the least! As long as you're only doing it for a few nights, and not making it your new home out there, that's what I'd do.
B'sides, you'd get to see your sister this way too!!

Another thing you could try is to ASK at the hotel your friend is staying at, if you can stay in their lot, and if you can PAY for a power hook-up. Be nice, and explain why you wanna do it. I think you may be pleasantly suprised! (what's it gonna hurt to ask....ya never know!!!!)

One thing you're gonna learn with this lifestyle, is you can't be afraid to ask if you can stay at places. You more you ask, the more doors you'll find opening in your favor. And don't be so paranoid about your sister's neighbors either...they'd do the same thing for their brother's too.

btw...there aren't any Walmarts in CC???

Patrick46 said:
As for staying at your sister's and running a power cord out there, I wouldn't see why that was a problem in the least! As long as you're only doing it for a few nights, and not making it your new home out there, that's what I'd do.
B'sides, you'd get to see your sister this way too!!

Will probably be the route I'm taking, as was planning on visiting sis while there. :)

Argh this is torture!!! Friday evening right before 10pm my agent texted that we are being held up on signing thanks to the insurance agency not getting their crap done. So who knows when the signing will be. Hope my rig is still there and it's in good shape, I'm anxious to try her out!!! :D

Supposedly, supposedly, signing on the house at 2pm today. (not holding my breath)

The past two weekends I've spent purging things. Have been doing this for a while, actually. Have never been one to want a lot of stuff to begin with, but stuff does accumulate over the years. And every time I move I think to myself 'where the hell did all of this come from?'!! haha

The latest purging has been kind of hard. It's supposed to be, right? Roughest was going through my late husbands things and deciding what to really keep. He was an amateur photographer and boy did he love pictures. But really.. must you keep them all?? I saved some that meant most and put it in a shoebox that is my memorial for him, saved some for my daughter which is going into a scrapbook for her, it's on my to-do list. Still have some of his clothing as well, like 4 or 5 items, along with our wedding attire, am not there with getting rid of those just yet.

Have been looking in to a vehicle change, as well. One that could possibly be a toad. At present I have a '07 Ford Escape. Not the greatest in gas mileage, and it's an automatic. Am looking to switching it for a used manual transmission hatchback that gets decent gas mileage. Not having the greatest of luck finding this. Too many people want automatics, so the used market is full of them around here. Not buying new, will not take the depreciation hit, would rather someone else did. ;) From what I've been seeing the RV I'm eyeing will have less than a 5000 lb towing capacity, I'd like to find something half that, lol. Is that unreasonable?? I can so go tiny cheapo car not giving a flying flip what others think.

So for now, if all things go like they are supposed to, I will be on my way tomorrow to check out new-to-me rig. :) Woot!!!

Latest posts