Intro and what an RV will mean to me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post up anything you want a second opinion on. We'll be glad to help.

Good Luck with the closing!!!

Ryannis said:
... Problem though, can not find an RV park with an opening for me. I'd be dreaming if I thought I could boondock in that humid hot weather, I'm not conditioned for that yet, lol. The area for my 5 day trip is the Corpus Christi, north Padre Island and Port Aransas areas.
You really shouldn't have any problem staying at Padre Bali or at Mustang Island. Farther down the beach is Malaquite. Of course then there is the beach (don't forget to get a parking permit at one of the Stripes). You can get water at the fire station on Flour Bluff.

If you are self contained, stop in at Shady Oaks Mobile Home & RV Park on Flour Bluff (just past the Library, next to the laundromat, if you go past the Stripes, you've gone too far). We lived at Shady Oaks for 6 months in a Class C.

http://nuecesbeachparks.com/

I am now technically homeless, woot!! Signed off on stick n bricks house an hour ago. Stack of cash going with me tomorrow.

Thank you all for the tips on staying down there. You'd think I wouldn't have a problem, having grew up in the area, and lived there in the 5 years until 2012, lol. Just a newbie with boondocking, I suppose. :D

Would post a link to the rig, but don't wanna jinx it just yet. It may not be there, anyways, will know tomorrow. So excited!!!

I actually didn't get it, sold before I got there. Oh's well's... Don't have it for a reason. All is well.

I did find another one, put a deposit on it so it is taken off the market and held for me, since it's a good 4 hours away from my home. Guess it's safe to post the link, since I have held for me. :)
http://www.rvs.com/rvsales/class-c/1995/gulfstream-ultra/353813/

It will be ready for me next Wednesday after a 101 point inspection on all things rv. They cannot guarantee chasis or motor, as they do not have mechanics for those things on staff, but have the option for them to take it to one for inspection, if wanted. Not sure if I will do that or take the old man with me to do his own mechanical inspection of those things. Am liking everything about it so far. :)

Yep, I saw that as well. The salesman walked all over the top, so he said, and found no signs of softness. And it was fixed and sealed. However, it will sure be a bargaining chip for me on the purchase. :)

Going to see it and hopefully buy it on Thursday at 1pm. :)

Ryannis said:
Yep, I saw that as well. The salesman walked all over the top, so he said, and found no signs of softness. And it was fixed and sealed. However, it will sure be a bargaining chip for me on the purchase.

EEEwwwwww.....

Bad points on the salesman....as you're NEVER supposed to walk on the roofs of these things.....EVER!!! :mad:
(this is common knowledge for anybody whos been around RV's at all) That's why sealing these roofs is such a big deal!

yeah...I'd use that in itself as a bargaining point!

Hope it's everything you've been looking for! Good Luck!! :)

There's a ladder :p but good point... I see some $$ slipping outta his hands, bwahaha...

Woot woot!! Bout to head out of Okiehoma and go to see my hopeful new rig in Texas. Wish me luck!! :D

I'd just like to post one quick(?) thought...

you're gonna be driving quite a ways to check out this RV. Don't get too excited and buy it WITHOUT spending several HOURS driving it, getting it checked out mechanically, and just basically hanging out in it. If it doesn't 'feel' right, then simply walk away. You don't owe nobody nuthin'!!!

I stress the 'Hanging out' part, as this is what you're gonna be doing for MANY hours, days, weeks, and months in this rig.
See how much elbo room you've got when sitting at the dinette. Do you bang anything??
How easy is it to get in and out of the beds, the dinette, and even the entry door?? Do you need to duck your head to keep from banging it on any cupboards??
How 'bout the potty?? Can you sit comfortably without hitting your knees? Is there enough room to get up and down easily?? Is there a shower, and can you manouver around in it OK??
Are the kitchen counter tops at a comfy level?? Do you have enough room to cook a 'real' meal in this galley?? Do you hafta close cupboard doors just to open the fridge or oven??
Since I believe that this is a Class 'C'...can you get in and out of the overhead bunk easily enough...and once you're up there, is there enough headroom?? Does it make you feel claustrophobic at all up there??

If you do make this purchase...make sure the guys on the lot walk you through ALL the operating systems on your new rig. Make sure they watch you while you light the oven, light the fridge and heater's pilot lights, make sure you understand the water and sewer hook-ups. Have them show you the fuse box, and that you understand what each of the different circuits and fuses do. Do these with them present. It's a whole lot easier than learning this stuff from watching YouTube videos.

Like I said....take your time. There's alot of great RV's out there for sale these days, and we want you to be happy, safe, and comfy in yours!! Good Luck!!! :D

She's here!

Left at 7:30am yesterday and didn't get him until 10:30pm. But sitting in the driveway is the new girl (have to think of name for her).

Thank you, Patrick, for the words of wisdom! :) I actually did just about everything you mentioned (not the lighting the fridge (electric) and every fuse). We were there 3 1/2 hours before driving it off the lot.

The roof area in the bathroom had only wavy wallpaper where it had a previous leak. Was solid. They included 2 coats of sealant on the roof for me (no charge) since I had shown a concern. Spent all day on it making sure everything was in working order. Spent time on the walk through.. haha.. but not as much as some, I'm sure. Most of the systems I have experience with so he didn't have to explain every single detail. All systems were turned on or running in my presence. Even made them check the oil so I could see myself it was good. :D

Anyway.. a stack of cash was handed over and I got the keys. The drive... oh man!!!!! Like a freakin dream!! Took us 5 hours to get back and it was utterly awesome! Drove smoother than my daily ride ('07 Ford Escape). Daughter followed me and said from her end I drove it perfect, so keeping the correct place on road and turns was no problem. Might have to adjust one mirror as it was hard to judge people's placement after I passed them, I err'd on the side of caution and didn't move over in the right hand lane til wayyy past them.

Cruised most of the time at 70 on the open highway without a problem. Motor fired up perfect. All gauges stayed on the dot perfect the entire time. Almost full propane tank, even had half a tank of gas in her when I got her. They put in some fresh water before I left in case we wanted to use the facilities. (Oh, yep, the knee room in the bathroom was a biggy to me, for sure I checked that out! :) ) Spent a while in the front cab to make sure I felt comfy for upcoming hours driving, was very very comfortable and everything accessible.

The storage on this rig, even I am impressed!! There's not just one pass-thru storage but two! And about 4-5 other outside compartments. The inside itself had impressive storage. Under queen bed, under both dinettes, under jackknife couch, decent closet in bedroom, pantry with lots of drawer, decent over head cabinets, and lets not forget the over cab area that will not be used that much for sleeping. Am waiting for the sun to come up to go check out these storage compartments better.

Only glitch was I lost one front wheel cover down the road. :( We noticed it an hour after leaving when pulled over to potty. And I hit that metal roller thingy attached to the hitch on a curb while getting out of a parking lot in downtown Amarillo, but I guess that is what it is there for. :)

Hurry up sun, I want to go play!! lol Do I really have to go to work today? haha

Cheers all!!!

It sounds like you found a good one! We've been living in a little class C for 20 years, driving all over the country and we love it. Plenty of room for all your stuff, plenty of room for living but still small enough to be easy to drive and park everywhere. Have fun!

You have a queen size bed, a dinette, AND a couch???

How big is this thing?? I thought it was supposed to be a smaller one!
(Upps...never mind, I just found the pictures)

I figured your daughter would lay claim to the over head bunk too as her own little private domain. Mine sure did. She made a curtain to go across the front of it, and it became her private bedroom...with a view! :D

PICTURES!!!!!

Here she be... (still need to name 'er) ;)

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 23
Congrats Ryannis! Looks like a fine rig. One item I did not see mentioned. Do you know how old the tires are? Even tho they may look fine, the standard practice is they are aged out at 7 years. If they are old, I would be a bit concerned about driving it at the posted limits. Would hate for you to have any trouble.

WOW...that looks great!!!

don't be too concerned about naming her just yet....

after your drive her for awhile, she'll let you know exactally what it is, all on her own!!! :D