Hey All

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Septic systems = Follow the Money. My neighbor had a new one installed 3 or 4 yrs ago... $10,000.

To be fair, composting toilets do require some attention to detail, and we all know that there are folks out there that can't manage that. I suspect that's what is often on the mind of the PTB. And of course, never discount plain old bureaucratic inertia. Nevertheless, it borders on criminal to use potable drinking water to flush the icky-poo away, IMNSHO.

Here's my favorite bare bones system - Very easy to implement. (Obviously not suitable for frequent travellers, although I use (something like) this system at my summer digs.)

Great video. I have seen other very sensible toilet systems designed for and used in rural areas in other countries. For many people in the world, this is a great step up. And there is no good reason they would not work in the US as well. I have built more than one (I call them diverting toilets instead of composting) RV toilets. I also bought a Boxio toilet from Amazon to use in my van. If these work in an RV, there is no reason they wouldn't work in a sticks and bricks as well.

Yes, it would require the users to actually change their habits and take a more personal responsibility in how their human manure is handled. But, IMHO it would make far more sense than wasting clean drinking water as a conveyor for our waste.

Retired outhouse, Lake Valley, NM.
outhouse.JPG
BTW, well worth a visit. It, and the Lake Valley National Scenic Byway, would make a semi-ambitious but comfortable half-day trip from either Elephant Butte or Hatch, NM. It's a real ghost town (no ice cream shoppes). Not a lot else around there except a whole lot of God's country. The site host gig (it's day use only, but I think there is someone onsite 24-7) could be fun if you reeeally like solitude. They have weird closure days so check before going.

Retired outhouse, Lake Valley, NM.
View attachment 33905
BTW, well worth a visit. It, and the Lake Valley National Scenic Byway, would make a semi-ambitious but comfortable half-day trip from either Elephant Butte or Hatch, NM. It's a real ghost town (no ice cream shoppes). Not a lot else around there except a whole lot of God's country. The site host gig (it's day use only, but I think there is someone onsite 24-7) could be fun if you reeeally like solitude. They have weird closure days so check before going.
Wow! The last fellow to use that outhouse must have eaten a bunch of bean burritos for it to be blown off the foundation like that. It's a 2-holer so you know there had to be some blowback. I bet he won't do that again.

Latest posts