Hey All

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick01

Reaction score
A youtuber linked to this site, so here I am. I'm interested in buying a cheap van or rv and maybe a couple acres of land to camp on, and learning about the lifestyle. It's crazy how expensive housing has become!

I'm getting on in years and I'm tired of worrying about becoming homeless bc I don't own property to camp on if the bottom falls out.

I'm currently in central Florida, and in need of better housing somewhere in the south. An RV might be a good investment. A lifesaver even. the way this country is headed. I've lived out of vehicles several times over the years. A car, a conversion van, and tractors in my trucking years. Now maybe it's time to go that route again.

I welcome meeting new friends and learning all I can. Please feel free to contact me if you have any tips, or just to say hi.

Thanks and best wishes to all.
ps: This nostalgic pic is me and my old Chevy, 1985. Boy those were the days!

We've been traveling for nearly a decade. Life on the road is a great adventure! Just talking this morning, about our preferred places we frequently stay (BLM) for free as we transverse coast to coast. Same places driving 2-6 hrs apart. We then stay until our tanks need dumped.
In Florida, there are many northern countries that allow rv's. Lake, Union, etc. with less expensive land for living. The catch? Is installing water, septic & electric. Perk tests often fail or huge amount of fill required to raise septic drain fields.
Relying on rv parks can often lead to an owner selling his property, cashing out while occupants are stuck trying to relocate or extremely higher fees.
Best wishes with future travel.

I love this idea!
Hehe that'd be cool what Texas Gypsy suggested. If I owned land I'd be happy to host.

Relying on rv parks can often lead to an owner selling his property, cashing out while occupants are stuck trying to relocate or extremely higher fees.
Yep, same thing with trailer parks. You own the home but not the land beneath. Owner might sell and new (corporate landlord) double the lot rent overnight. At least an RV or camper would be much easier to move.

Last edited:
One reason to use something like AirBnb is they provide insurance to cover your liability, property and insure all license fees and tax is paid. It is why many people have decided to take the risk with their properties as you are almost guaranteed to have problems and damage to deal with eventually. To let someone stay on your property even those you know really well is a risk without a rental agreement and proper insurance coverage. Last time we stayed with my son he wanted a rental agreement signed as he has been doing AirBnb rentals for some time now and has seen what can happen! Lol!!!

Is your land your sanctuary? The wrong person coming to it and causing you grief can spoil that sanctuary feeling forever. The kind of emotional violation people can feel after a thief breaks into their home.

If it is just a business then you know you are taking a business risk. But if it is your sanctuary that creates a whole different set of emotional reactions to having the space violated.

These decisions are not just about the financial consequences. You need to take emotional factors into consideration as well. Such as are you really OK with strangers you do not know occupying your personal property?

Last edited:
I have land and have been considering allowing nomads to access. But I am worried about that one AH that will get hurt or damage their vehicle and sue me. Also worried about that other DA that will trash my property and cost me thousands to clean up. Which I don’t have btw.
Check your zoning and your insurance coverage. And do you also live on this land?

I know it sounds really groovy and all to share your land. But I've spent enough time in several intentional communities to know what can go wrong. Consult an attorney about how to write a good rental agreement. And make sure your local county/municipality is good with what you want to do.

Wow ... y'all took that idea and run with it.
I in no way meant as a permanent commune thing. More like the same rules as BLM.....move frequently so people don't mess it up.
Just land. I've had bad experience with squatters. I wouldn't have any improvements on the property. Maybe an equipment style shed for shade if there were no trees but that's it. Definitely have a time limit.
Only members of the group can boondock on the land. No adding it to free camping apps.
I suppose you'd want to start with a few folks with land and add others carefully.

Wow ... y'all took that idea and run with it.
I in no way meant as a permanent commune thing. More like the same rules as BLM.....move frequently so people don't mess it up.
Just land. I've had bad experience with squatters. I wouldn't have any improvements on the property. Maybe an equipment style shed for shade if there were no trees but that's it. Definitely have a time limit.
Only members of the group can boondock on the land. No adding it to free camping apps.
I suppose you'd want to start with a few folks with land and add others carefully.
Yup, you would. But HOW can you prevent people from putting the word out?

Escapee’s Club started out by getting a group together to help Interstate nomadic construction workers meet the needs of living a nomadic life. Just take a look at their history. Maybe even consider joining! They have a boondocking group and publish free parking places in their magazine and campground guides as well as offer low priced campsites in their parks with some restrictions.

Well since everyone involved would have their own land...... I'm sure they wouldn't want the word put out about their place.
That's why you would need your own property to be part of the group and why you would add members carefully.

I have occasionally looked at land to purchase in order to have a backup plan to always traveling. Sharing with others in a sort of community or RV Village has an appeal to me. There are many vacant land opportunities listed with almost nothing down, owner financing, and payments well within most of our reach. Certainly much less than RV lot rents. But, I also see terms like due diligence, As-IS, HOA, etc. in the documentation and statements that any build requiring permits is not allowed until the land is paid off. What is most often lacking are answers to questions about RV parking. IE: Is it allowed, for how long, etc. To learn that, one is told to go ask the county agencies. I haven't even decided what state appeals to me! Researching at every county office is daunting.

It would be nice if we could leverage our community of RV nomads to gather such information so each of us didn't have to start from scratch. I think this would be a great first step that could actually build into something. "Many hands" = "light work" sort of thing.

I have occasionally looked at land to purchase in order to have a backup plan to always traveling. Sharing with others in a sort of community or RV Village has an appeal to me. There are many vacant land opportunities listed with almost nothing down, owner financing, and payments well within most of our reach. Certainly much less than RV lot rents. But, I also see terms like due diligence, As-IS, HOA, etc. in the documentation and statements that any build requiring permits is not allowed until the land is paid off. What is most often lacking are answers to questions about RV parking. IE: Is it allowed, for how long, etc. To learn that, one is told to go ask the county agencies. I haven't even decided what state appeals to me! Researching at every county office is daunting.

It would be nice if we could leverage our community of RV nomads to gather such information so each of us didn't have to start from scratch. I think this would be a great first step that could actually build into something. "Many hands" = "light work" sort of thing.
There is that place that Bob Wells reviewed a while back where this guy has a huge piece of property and charges people about $1,000/year to rent a space there. I can't recall the pricing but to get the cheaper rate which is around $1,000, you pay it all at once) He has a nice laundry there and showers with hot running water and a night club/clubhouse type thing were folks get together and have a good time. It is out in what appears to be desert country somewhere. I am sorry I can't recall the name of the place or more details but I saw that video quite a while ago. I remember it thinking I am going to tuck that info away in case I feel like staying in one place for a while. It looks to be a nice place and he has many people staying there too. I think it is a good example of what can be done when considering having folks stay on your land. If I get a chance, I will look up that video (I think Bob did 2 videos on this place) and provide a link, otherwise, it can be looked up on Bob's YT channel if anyone is interested.**EDIT**
Found it: Caballo Loco Ranch near Tucson, AZ

Last edited: