Interesting Articles Relating to EVs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, a gasoline powered Tesla:

This is hilarious.
My Dr Dawter just bought a new Tesla and I was advising her to maybe get a Lexus hybrid but she went with the Tesla Y , I think. Not sure the model.

Anyway, so I’m jokingly saying to her a couple weex back that if you go on a long cross country trip just carry a decent sized but portable generator and a gas can with you - just in case.

I have forwarded this vid you’ve posted to her.
😂
jonny lectrik charge

I looked up the Model S and with a 120v charging source (Level 1) it will take one hour of generator run time to add 3 miles of range...approx 2-4 minutes of driving time.

Which is probably not enough to get him to a charging station unless his EV died literally a mile or two from the station. And that could happen I guess.

When I was young anything made in Japan was crap. Japan got better QC but china took their business making crap bur are getting better. I think India will replace china.

• 14 million — The approximate number of electric vehicles purchased worldwide in 2023, up from 10 million in 2022.
  • In 2023, the majority of new cars sold worldwide were not electric vehicles (EVs), as only 18% of new cars sold were electric:
    • Global: 18% of new cars sold were electric, which is double the share from 2021.
    • United States: 10% of new cars sold were electric.
    • European Union: 22% of new cars sold were electric.
    • China: Almost 40% of new cars sold were electric.
    • Norway: More than 90% of new cars sold were electric.

The global new-car market grew by double digits in 2023, and the total number of vehicles sold was 92.4 million units. This was a 10.8% increase from 2022, when 80.2 million vehicles were sold

Harvard’s 6,000-cycle EV battery that charges in 10 minutes gets funding boost​

Early this year, a Harvard spinoff company, Adden Energy made headlines by developing a lithium-metal solid-state battery technology that could offer significant benefits.
According to the team, their solid-state battery could achieve a full charge in just 10 minutes and offer a charging cycle of at least 6,000 times.
Now, this breakthrough battery technology seems to be gaining a stronghold. Added Energy recently announced that it has secured a funding of $15 million to bring its ultra-fast charging batteries to the EV market.

“To scale production and bring this technology to car manufacturers, the company has raised $15M in a Series A round led by At One Ventures,” said Adden Energy in a press release.

Practical applications of solid-state batteries​

This development marks a major step towards the practical application of solid-state batteries in various industries and commercial settings.
“Lithium metal anode batteries are considered the holy grail of batteries because they have ten times the capacity of commercial graphite anodes and could drastically increase the driving distance of electric vehicles,” Xin Li, Associate Professor of Materials Science at SEAS and a co-founder of Adden Energy, said in a press release while introducing the technology.
Notably, this battery technology was initially unveiled by the researchers in January 2024. They focused on a challenging aspect of solid-state batteries: the formation of dendrites.
“These structures grow like roots into the electrolyte and pierce the barrier separating the anode and cathode, causing the battery to short or even catch fire,” mentioned the press release.
Adden Energy has cracked the code to controlling dendrites. Their solution to the problem is a self-healing separator. It helps lithium metal tackle the risk of dendrites and aids batteries in performing better than traditional ones.
During experiments, Adden Energy successfully demonstrated the technology in a postage stamp-sized pouch cell, which retained 80% of its capacity after 6,000 cycles, surpassing the performance of current pouch cell batteries.

Norway is...Major oil producer, and yet they all drive electric cars.

And it appears...they are moving towards reducing the number of cars altogether, which is what's needed to reduce energy consumption...
Contradictory nonsequiter.
Norwegians produce major fuel, Norwegians need to reduce 'energy' consumption.
[edited to add]
On a personal note, can I ask you to please stop pluralizing 'toward'?

Contradictory nonsequiter.
Norwegians produce major fuel, Norwegians need to reduce 'energy' consumption.
[edited to add]
On a personal note, can I ask you to please stop pluralizing 'toward'?
If you are going to school me on grammar (or is it spelling?), then you should note that I didn't say anything about Norway needing to reduce energy consumption... merely that reducing the number of cars is needed to reduce energy consumption.

Also, towards and toward are both correct. :p

If you are going to school me on grammar (or is it spelling?), then you should note...I didn't say anything about Norway needing to reduce energy consumption... merely...reducing the number of cars is needed to reduce energy consumption.

Also, towards and toward are both correct. :p
Norwegians would never say 'towards'.
Pillage, yes.
Conquer, most likely.
Row their ships to North America a thousand years ago, sure.
But 'towards', nah, that takes too much energy...