RAM Unveils Promaster EV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhuff

Reaction score
The RAM Promaster EV was revealed yesterday as shown in an article on the Jalopnik blog. The van will have "a 110.0-kWh battery pack and a single electric motor putting out 268 horsepower and 302 pound-feet of torque to the front axle. Ram says the ProMaster EV has a city driving range of up to 162 miles, and it can fast-charge at up to 150 kW using a Level 3 DC charger or at up to 11 kW using the on-board Level 2 charger."

1705505332496.png

Most EVs have a shorter driving range on the highway than they do in the city (so I'm presuming less than 150 miles range on the highway, maybe 100-125 miles?)...but there is always the possibility that a larger battery will be offered in the future.

Concept of what they are thinking about making or is it already in production?.It is January in Quartzsite so I am not clicking on a bunch of links to download articles or video links so I can see what people are talking about.

A lot of times things that get announced on the automotive news are just designers spinning out the dreams of what a company is considering doing.

The RAM Promaster EV was revealed yesterday as shown in an article on the Jalopnik blog. The van will have "a 110.0-kWh battery pack and a single electric motor putting out 268 horsepower and 302 pound-feet of torque to the front axle. Ram says the ProMaster EV has a city driving range of up to 162 miles, and it can fast-charge at up to 150 kW using a Level 3 DC charger or at up to 11 kW using the on-board Level 2 charger."

View attachment 34975
I suspect that the 162 mile range is for an empty Promaster. Once you add living stuff, I suspect that the range will really drop.

Its aimed squarely at city package delivery and possibly in-town contractor duties. I don't think anyone will be scrambling to buy this as a starting point for van living.

But, maybe when they have a bigger battery, and longer range, since it does include an on-board level 2 charger.

As is, 50 grand is a bit steep for a van that has very limited range.

Concept of what they are thinking about making or is it already in production?.It is January in Quartzsite so I am not clicking on a bunch of links to download articles or video links so I can see what people are talking about.

A lot of times things that get announced on the automotive news are just designers spinning out the dreams of what a company is considering doing.

Article courtesy of Jalopnik...

The ProMaster EV will beat the Ram 1500 REV to market, and it's aimed at last-mile deliveries​

By
Daniel Golson
PublishedYesterday

Image for article titled Ram's First Available EV Is A Rebadged Fiat Van With A 162-Mile Range

Photo: Ram

After first teasing it during the Super Bowl, Ram unveiled the electric 1500 REV pickup truck in April, which will do battle with the likes of the Chevy Silverado EV, Ford F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T. The Ram REV will go on sale by the end of 2024, but it won’t actually be the first fully electric vehicle available from the Ram brand — that crown will go to the Ram ProMaster EV, which was revealed today and touted as the ideal van for last-mile deliveries.

Regardless of where in the world you live, you’re likely aware of the ProMaster. It’s a rebadged version of the third-generation Fiat Ducato van, which was first launched in 2006. The ProMaster wasn’t brought to the U.S. until 2013, and since then it has received two different facelifts. 2023 was the best sales year ever for the ProMaster with more than 81,000 vans sold, and in addition to the Fiat and Ram versions, the van is sold all around the world under the Citroën, Peugeot, Opel, Toyota and Vauxhall brands.

The electric E-Ducato has been around in Europe since 2019, and that’s what the new ProMaster EV is based on. Regardless of configuration it uses a 110.0-kWh battery pack and a single electric motor putting out 268 horsepower and 302 pound-feet of torque to the front axle. Ram says the ProMaster EV has a city driving range of up to 162 miles, and it can fast-charge at up to 150 kW using a Level 3 DC charger or at up to 11 kW using the on-board Level 2 charger. The battery is positioned at the center of the van under the floor, so the standard van’s flat floor and cargo capacity are unchanged.

Rear 3/4 view of a white Ram ProMaster EV van

Ram will offer the ProMaster EV in delivery and cargo versions, with the delivery model available now and the cargo launching later. The delivery van has a roll-up rear door made from aluminum and a pocket side door, while the cargo van has more traditional rear barn doors and a sliding side door. Ram says the ProMaster EV has a 159-inch wheelbase, and it will eventually be offered with two different roof heights and two cargo lengths (12 feet and 13.5 feet).

In the cargo configuration the ProMaster EV has a payload of 3,020 pounds, while the delivery model is limited to 2,030 pounds. Ram says the ProMaster EV’s 524 cubic feet of storage space is the best in its class, as are its cargo height and cargo width, the last of which is largely thanks to the van’s unibody construction and front-wheel-drive setup. Ram says the ProMaster EV “can be upfitted for virtually every conceivable commercial need,” with all of the primary vehicle systems placed ahead of the cargo area.

The ProMaster EV has a 10.1-inch touchscreen running Uconnect 5, which has navigation, built-in Alexa, Bluetooth capability for two phones, and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Ram’s Telematics software has improved fleet management functions, real-time vehicle diagnostics and over-the-air updates. The last-mile navigation system can also send walking directions from the nav system to their smartphones, to make delivery runs even easier.

Infotainment screen of a Ram ProMaster EV van

Other newly standard features include an electronic parking brake, front and rear parking sensors, multiple backup alarm sounds, LED headlights and foglights with automatic high beams, forward collision warning, crosswind assist, a driver drowsiness monitor, keyless entry and pushbutton start. Ram says that the most-requested feature was better visibility, so the ProMaster EV has an improved backup camera, and a 360-degree surround-view system and a digital rear-view mirror are optional. Also optional are a wireless charging pad, adaptive cruise control with stop and go, rain-sensing wipers, lane-keeping assist, and a Level 2 Active Driving Assist system with hands-on lane-centering.

Ram says the ProMaster EV is available to order now, but pricing and an exact on-sale date have yet to be announced. Expect it to cost at least a few thousand dollars more than the gas-powered ProMaster’s $46,955 base price, though Ram does say the ProMaster EV might qualify for the federal commercial clean vehicle tax credit.

More: https://jalopnik.com/rams-first-available-ev-is-a-rebadged-fiat-van-with-a-1-1851169532

I have not taken the time to look at the fueling cost of recharging an electric vehicle at a charging station such as the Tesla stations versus purchasing gasoline for a similar sized vehicle. In this nomadic life we would very likely have to rely on such commercial charging stations to do fill ups of power.

I would expect a lot on naysayers popping up and telling us the problems they see. Shucks, I may even see a few. But I am glad to see ANY progress on this front. Many of the rigs we drive now have been repurposed from their original target market. For myself, I wonder if I could get by with ~150 miles between camping spots to collect solar or between commercial charging station. Maybe... if I changed my habits. Then there is the original cost. But it is progress away from fossil fuel!

I suspect that the 162 mile range is for an empty Promaster. Once you add living stuff, I suspect that the range will really drop.
The article comments mentioned this seemed low for a 110kWH battery, so the commenters suspected this was a range estimate for a loaded vehicle (since "last mile" delivery seems to be its purpose).

View attachment 34975

RAM can't even make a high quality long-lasting ICE vehicle, so I would be very leary of this. And with that short of a range, it wouldn't make sense for nomads, IMHO.

For myself, I wonder if I could get by with ~150 miles between camping spots to collect solar or between commercial charging station. Maybe... if I changed my habits. Then there is the original cost. But it is progress away from fossil fuel!
Changing one's habits might be the better path for some of us.

An EV RV might actually be more practical for certain van dwellers. Commercial campgrounds (KOA, etc.) are kind of like a giant multi-vehicle charging station. Most of these already have 30-50 amp outlets available...at EACH camp site.
Think about it: A place to camp, laundry facilities, hot showers, nearby stores, people to talk to and "free" fuel when you plug in. An ICE vehicle will need to spend more just for fuel, PLUS has the separate $40-60 campground fee to have the same benefits. Thus, the right EV rig could boondock for 5-6 days and then have a 'spa day' at a KOA to 're-fuel'.
I do agree though that this Dodge might not be the best choice--but more options are slowly trickling out. YMMV

RAM can't even make a high quality long-lasting ICE vehicle, so I would be very leary of this. And with that short of a range, it wouldn't make sense for nomads, IMHO.
Range is very much up to the individual. Not all vehicle-dwellers drive long distances from day to day, nor do all of them move frequently. It certainly wouldn't work for me when I start being a part-timer after I retire, but...

As for reliability, Chevy/GM, Ford, RAM, even Mercedes...none of them are known for Toyota/Honda levels of quality. Promasters aren't worse than the others. See the "Promasters Only" channel on Youtube or his Facebook group for Promaster owners. Every full-sized van brand has it's quirks and maint requirements...

Tell me about how diesels work up north in the severe cold? If you don't have a block heater, they are useless, and the fuel can gel...
Point being that one can poke holes in new tech easily... horse owners used to laugh at the automobile... cell phones used to be huge, expensive and a pain...
There is a concerted effort to denigrate alternative energy, including hit pieces like this.... solar, wind and other non-fossil-fuel projects are under constant attack.
EVs will be the norm in a few decades... battery tech will improve, solar will improve.... look at the way us nomads have been able to make out lives better, for way less money and far better density, and it will only get better.

'Hit piece'...um ok....I see it as news...people need to try to prepare for this stuff, just like video of long lines at the gas pumps in years gone by, and news about the lack of plywood sheets at the lumber yard before a major hurricane...for example.

If the EV chargers or the EVs themselves are problematic in severe cold, people need to be aware this can happen....I had never considered it myself, until these 'hit pieces' made the news.

Yes, to be fair, diesel fuel can gel and cause problems in really cold weather, but we know about it and can take preventive measures. (fuel additive, fuel heaters etc)

The key take away is, people need to be made aware of the possible issues that affect whatever they drive.

Last edited:
There is a concerted effort to denigrate alternative energy, including hit pieces like this.... solar, wind and other non-fossil-fuel projects are under constant attack.
EVs will be the norm in a few decades... battery tech will improve, solar will improve.... look at the way us nomads have been able to make out lives better, for way less money and far better density, and it will only get better.
Well stated RvNaut!

Last I checked, not too many van dwellers pick Chicago to winter camp.

I've owned diesels for years with no problems in the cold of Michigan. In the winter stations go to winter fuel. I put diesel additive to raise the cetane after the gov lowered it & to keep the fuel from gelling. Most have block heaters but some don't need them. I'll never buy a POS EV! When they started making cars they had EVs, fuel & steam. Fuel won then & now!

^^^never say never! You may live to see them a superior product! Things do improve and progress.