I THREW MY PORTA POTTY IN THE DUMPSTER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highdesertranger, what kind of areas? Is it like a county-wide kind of thing, a park, forest, blm thing? Where would one find out these regulations? Especially if it's not a BLM, NF, NP, SP area? I had no idea. And what are the "approved" kitty litter type things---what makes them approved, I should say? This one is new to me. Those areas that have these regulations, I'm guessing they also don't approve cat holes?

this is becoming more wide spread. in the BLM LTVA's you basically need to be self contained with at least a 10 gallon black water tank. there are exceptions but they are highly regulated as to where you can stay and no cat holes. in Death Valley National Park(the only National Park that I know of that allows dispersed camping) no grey water on the ground and no cat holes. along the Klamath river in Northern California and many river watersheds(Grand Canyon, Snake river, Rogue river) no grey water on the ground and no cat holes, dispersed campers must use pot-a-potties or the kitty litter boxes. the kitty litter boxes are common among river rafters and are similar to the bucket method only with an approved kitty liter type of substance. btw on the Klamath River the forest service tells you to pee in the river and not on the shore above the water line. so coming to an area near you(this is how government works) no grey water on the ground and no cat holes will be the norm. highdesertranger

HDR, thanks for the info. I can actually understand and appreciate why they want to have those restrictions considering how many people either don't have a clue or don't care about proper grey and black water disposal and proper cat holes. Many public restrooms and even ones in restricted areas with limited access (bank locked down areas where only employees can go) that are so filthy you wonder about the people who use them are good indicators of how well some humans take care of things that aren't their own---and that's with immediately accessible trash cans and flush toilets.

I'll never understand that mentality. I was raised different than that but it's not a generational thing since there's people of all ages that are that way. Lots of laws get on the books because of just some people who can't seem to behave well without threat of consequences---then those people still don't care. It's like a locked door keeps an honest person honest...........

In Bob's video about poopin he talks about using a 5 gallon bucket. He put pipe insulation around the rim of the bucket. Sounds way more comfortable that way. Does anyone know what size pipe insulation he used?

I actually used two layers (yes, I pamper my tooshy!). The first was the smallest and the second was the largest. O've also used "floaties", the round tubes for kids swimming.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I actually used two layers (yes, I pamper my tooshy!). The first was the smallest and the second was the largest. O've also used "floaties", the round tubes for kids swimming.
Bob

Thank you, Bob. I appreciate the response.

I'm not out there yet but will be this Fall. Trying to get organized before that day comes.

One Awesome Inch said:
I hear you bro. I am consider myself to be a fairly considerate environmentalist, but when it comes to poop... um I just cant do it.

Consider using biodegradable 'eco' bags and have at 'er.

I too want to go with the 'deal with it one at a time, and only mine' routine.  But:  where do you put the bagged business until you get to a garbage can if you're camping somewhere that doesn't have trash facilities?  I'll be out on the road with a few family members soon, so it could add up quickly over more than a few days ...

akrvbob said:
Bob

Bob:  what exactly is dispersed camping?  I've heard you say frequently, perhaps in videos for RTRs "we'll be dispersed camping".  Why does HDR say Death Valley is the only place that allows dispersed camping.  And what's up with the regulations about portapotties or kitty litter gadgets?  I thought a couple of bags were acceptable.  Thank you.

Dispersed camping is camping in a non-designated spot on public land. In other words it's not a campground and there are no signs anywhere that say, "Camp Here" You chose a spot and camp there. They do ask that you use spots that have been used before and not create new ones, but that pertains to rock fire rings, and i never build fires.

Nearly all National Forests (as opposed to National Parks, they are different things) and BLM land allow dispersed camping. In the few times it is not allowed, I consider it their responsibility to put up a sign and tell me that. In other words, unless there is a sign that says I can't disperse camp, I assume I can.

While the National Fores almost universally allow dispersed camping, the National Parks almost universally forbid it. Death Valley NP may be the only one that allows it, I'm no certain of that. Big Bend NP has something like it, but you must get a free permit and park in designated sites.

Very, very few places have any rules about porta potties. Digging a 8-10 inch hole and pooping in it is almost allways allowed and, again, I consider it their responsibility to post a sign and tell me if it is not.

This is one of the very few times I've seen where dispersed camping is NOT alowed, and it is clearly signed to alert the public
dispersed-sign-1.jpg

Bob

The whole concept of people being squeamish and uncomfortable about their own poop evades me. Then again I grew up hunting, fishing, and in the construction industry so pooping in the woods and in a 5 gallon bucket in a van has always been 2nd nature to me. If people only knew how much poop was under their foundations. Used to be common practice for all the trades to poop in the basement and then when they poured the cement floor at the end of the project it was covered forever.

I said that Death Valley National Park is the only "National Park" that allows dispersed camping. this is to the best of my knowledge, also this is for vehicle camping not backpacking. highdesertranger

Sameer said:
I would like to shower in my van!  I have switched to a plastic kitchen trash can.  I keep Walmart shopping bags in the bottom and just loop the bag on each end and it makes a perfect place to 'go'......tie the top.....throw it away....and I am done with it.  It fits perfect and is comfortable and discrete.   What is the problem with 'people poop'?  How can my waste be any different than any other animal's waste?

There are a lot of us. Altho all animals can spread diseases and parasites in their waste, we can carry a lot of human-specific ones in our waste, and it is hard to enforce regulations on squirrel and moose in this matter. The major things are to keep your waste away from water sources and other humans, and to bury it deeply enough that it can rot in peace but not so deeply that it cannot rot at all because there is too little oxygen for the bacteria to function.

Has anyone ever thought of building it into the driver's seat?

I think the drivers seat would be impractical. But the passenger seat that most people have turned around would work for an interesting project. Not for me!! I am not having it in my van for longer than it takes to bag it up and throw it out......if I am not using a cat hole.

Sameer said:
I think the drivers seat would be impractical.  But the passenger seat that most people have turned around would work for an interesting project.  Not for me!!  I am not having it in my van for longer than it takes to bag it up and throw it out......if I am not using a cat hole.

Just thinking, it takes up valuable space and the area under the seats is usually wasted. It would solve some of the city stealth problem and would be out of the way.

"Thought Big Bend NP had dispersed camping." I don't know do they? it would make a good sticky, "National Parks that allow dispersed camping". the only one I know of is Death Valley NP. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"Thought Big Bend NP had dispersed camping."  I don't know do they?  it would make a good sticky,  "National Parks that allow dispersed camping".  the only one I know of is Death Valley NP.  highdesertranger

I went to their web site, https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/fees.htm under camping fees they show: 

Backcountry Campsites
Backcountry campsites require a $12 backcountry use permit ($6 with applicable pass), which must be acquired in person at one of the park's visitor centers during normal business hours.

and at https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/camping.htm they say:

The National Park Service operates three developed frontcountry campgrounds:
and under Camping Limits

Visitors can stay in the park up to 14 consecutive nights in either a front or backcountry site.

They do not mention dispersed camping anywhere on their site.  I'm wondering if the backcountry sites are the same?   

And to stay on topic of the thread;

This thread convinced me to never get a porta potty.  I decided after reading this thread that a bucket and bags was the way to go but I knew my wife would not agree.  After a lot of reading and much consideration I went with a commode chair and bucket liners.  Basically a fancy bucket and bags.  Drive Medical Folding Steel Bedside Commode

COMMODE 600.jpg

The chair is adjustable in height, has a lid for the bucket and a regular toilet seat.  There are bucket liners that have a powder that expands and adsorbs up to two quarts of liquid. Carex Health Brands Commode Liners

Commode liners.jpg 

With a black shower curtain and a tension rod to separate the bath area from the sleeping / living area, my wife was very comfortable with this setup.

Attachments

• COMMODE 600.jpg
    COMMODE 600.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Commode liners.jpg
    Commode liners.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6