My Progress!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotSpringsCyclist

Reaction score
After many MANY months (years?) of making lists, working my a$$ off, spending time watching Bob's videos while I work, and doing product research towards this lifestyle, I have a 100%-ready system to try out Memorial Day week.  

The plan is:  2000 Ford Focus, manual with a ratchet strapped-on cartop carrier.  Inside the cartop carrier will be our "housing," - did I mention there will be three of us in the car plus two more caravanning with us), tent, bathroom tent for my disabled partner with a 7 gallon bucket ($29/Amazon)+Yeti toilet seat ($50/Amazon - lots because it was the best reviews and SAFETY - a for-sure seal is a MUST for a disabled person) and gamma lid ($7/Amazon), and a walker for support handles.  REI Quarter Dome.  REI Half Dome.  Cheap-O Walmart tent for 6 - would never have bought this, but we won it in a drawing and the kids love it - so whatever!  Hammock tent, individual tent - all kiddo things... fun for them.  Blankets and pillows galore.  $79 foam toppers from Costco - everyone loves these, and everyone has one.  We do not skimp on comfort.  We love our backs!

That's the car topper stuff.

Inside the car - back hatch:  Food container:  Mostly Costco stuff - got a gluten free person - Madras lentils, too many Girl Scout cookies, V8 energy drinks - I love these.  Canned meats of every kind.  Mayo and mustard packets.  Books on harvesting and collecting wild greens (backed up by plenty of at-home experience).  Cheese and crackers.  Bacon.  Peanut butter.  Ramen.  Tortillas - won't squish like bread.  Vitamins and home-made tonics for overall health/sleep disorder/women's issues, etc.  Hygeine items - Diva cup, pads, toothpaste and toothbrushes, some jewelry, first aid supplies, pit stick, wipes and TP., handwashing supplies.  Water storage bottles.  Coleman single burner propane stove.  "Propane and propane accessories," [said in Hank Hill voice].  Large spaghetti pot with metal handles... (I like this a LOT better than Coleman 2-burner... what the heck *fits* on there, to feed 5 people without cooking in multiple rounds?! - NOTHING!  If they had square pots, that would be a different story!)  Anyways - love the one burner - I am a big fan of ONE pot meals.  Pyrex bowls with lids for leftovers.  (Future:  Solar setup for my Vitamix and InstantPot).  

Lots of rope and tie-outs, guy lines, stakes galore - mallet, garbage bags, backpacks for day trips and a small denatured alcohol stove.

Clothes - so we roll the clothes and focus on small/layerable:  fleece Columbia jackets, tank tops, and compressable, high quality coats in compression stuff sacks.  REI undergarments/long johns.  Socks, shoes, Teva sandles - everyone has 2 pairs of footwear.  I wish I had a shoe dryer, but the cigarette lighter in the car doesn't work. They do make a shoe dryer with this adaptation. Swim stuff. Quick-dry towels.

Tire fixing supplies, extra coolant & oil.

Bear spray (for both bears, and the prohibitive use of it against humans if necessary - easier than taking guns across state lines and probably more versitile, depending on the attack), bear bags for days we overnight into the woods on a backpack.

Believe it or not, this Focus actually came with a tow hitch!  Ha!  So I slid my bike rack right into that, and it seems to handle 3 mountain bikes just fine.  So... helmets, locks, tools for repairs, all things to keep active kiddos occupied.  It really is amazing that ALL this fits in/on this Focus, but it DOES and it works!

Ultimate goal is to drive this rig down to the RTR and stay awhile in 2020... maybe a month. Maybe two. And also, escape Spokane in August... smoke season is just no fun

What am I missing?  Any glaring omissions?

Tell me more about the bear bags. I've been scared to try camping out in certain parts of the Southwest because of bears' legendary sense of smell. I imagine them responding to some ancient crumb of fast-food wedged down in my upholstery somewhere....