I THREW MY PORTA POTTY IN THE DUMPSTER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does appear I am not correct on Big Bend open zone camping. A permit is required.

It's been a few years but Arches and Canyonlands used to have dispersed camping.At least nobody bothered us when we camped.

Lucky MEeeee! I never bought a porta potty.  I never used anything except a 3.5 gallon bucket (available at Home Depot, instead of the more popular 5 gallon bucket), put trash bag liners inside for the solid matter, put a luggable Loo lid that snaps on top of the 3.5 gallon bucket, put spare trash liners, toilet paper, inside so I have everything I need, when I need it.  It's important to remember to take the TP & spare TB liners OUT, B4 dumping.

A 5 gallon bucket takes up more space that is necessary + I don't dump so much that I need the holding capacity of a 5 gallon bucket. 

AFTER dumping squeeze all the air out of the trash bag liner, give the top a few twists & put everything into a used 1 qt FREEZER ziploc bag which when sealed will contain the odor forever.  I disposed of the filled ziploc baggie when I stop at any rest area.

I would love to see the ratio of M to F regarding the responses in this thread!

I'm sorry to have to say it (well, not really), and maybe I'm being sexist (but I doubt it), but when it comes to the American male of this species, I've never seen anything so 'delicate' as when it comes to human waste.

IT'S JUST USED FOOD, GUYS!

Not my experience. I think it is more growing up in the city vs. country.

All the kids I knew growing up were tasked with cleaning out the manure trough in the barn as part of their morning and afternoon chores; shoveling 200+ lbs of bovine goodness.  Could also tell in school who was running a manure spreader each fall and spring; hard to get that smell out of your hair.  After that dealing with human waste is no problem.  Citified cousins (male and female) couldn't handle it.

Now pig sh*t is a different story, smell still gags me.

-- Spiff

The problem I have with a 3.5 or even a 5 gallon bucket, is that it's too short for my looooooong legs. At 6'4" I'd have to sit the bucket on top of something to get it to a useable height, and that "base" would then take up extra room in the van.

A friend of mine is a swimming pool contractor and regularly has a large supply of super sturdy, white chlorine buckets that look to be about 7 gallons.
They're slightly narrower than your standard bucket and noticeably taller. They also have a really nice ratcheting lid that simply won't come off unless you want it to.
I'm going to give one a try and see how well it works.

I'm pretty sure a Gamma lid wouldn't fit the rim, but then my plan has always been to use either a swimming pool "noodle" or a piece of foam pipe insulation to sit on. Less stuff to store that way. Just curl the noodle up inside the bucket when not in use.

BigT said:
The problem I have with a 3.5 or even a 5 gallon bucket, is that it's too short for my looooooong legs.

Squatting low is supposed to be a better ergonomic position for elimination.  Takes some getting used to but things come out better  :p

-- Spiff

BigT said:
The problem I have with a 3.5 or even a 5 gallon bucket, is that it's too short for my looooooong legs.  At 6'4" I'd have to sit the bucket on top of something to get it to a useable height, and that "base" would then take up extra room in the van.  

A friend of mine is a swimming pool contractor and regularly has a large supply of super sturdy, white chlorine buckets that look to be about 7 gallons.
They're slightly narrower than your standard bucket and noticeably taller.  They also have a really nice ratcheting lid that simply won't come off unless you want it to.  
I'm going to give one a try and see how well it works.  

I'm pretty sure a Gamma lid wouldn't fit the rim, but then my plan has always been to use either a swimming pool "noodle" or a piece of foam pipe insulation to sit on.  Less stuff to store that way.  Just curl the noodle up inside the bucket when not in use.

You're RIGHT.  I'd be laughing my A** off if I saw you trying to deal with a 3.5 gallon bucket.  MEeee, I'm 5'6", it's just right.  I've had some fun with some of my big & tall friends regarding the size of the bucket; they all use the 5 gallon bucket, or larger/taller. if they can find one.

Back in my grandparents day, there were a lot of jokes about the long drop outhouse & the short drop outhouse; one-holers, & two-holers. Sears or Montgomery Ward catalogs were normally nearby.  The catalogs were considered a cut above corn cobs although I must confess I've never used a corn cob.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Squatting low is supposed to be a better ergonomic position for elimination.  Takes some getting used to but things come out better  :p

Funnily enough, the product that accomplishes the opposite (raises the legs), the "Squatty" is a popular item for people with normal home flush toilets.

Spaceman Spiff Wrote: Squatting low is supposed to be a better ergonomic position for elimination.  Takes some getting used to but things come out better said:
muddy

Funnily enough, the product that accomplishes the opposite (raises the legs), the "Squatty" is a popular item for people with normal home flush toilets.

The Squatty Potty simulates the low squat method of elimination for the western toilet.  It just keeps you from falling over!!! :D :p

well anyone who needs a platform for a 5 gallon bucket would need a taller one for a porta potti, at least my old as dirt porta potti
I actually use the bucket method, the potti came with the trailer and, although I have no problem with it, I don't have an easy option for dumping it (my FWB won't use the bucket lol, she insists on the potti)
as for train chaser and spiffs assertions, I doubt it's gendered at all, it's more like whether you've been exposed to such doings before
my now ex wife, ex MIL, and me all cleaned up my FIL's doing when we were caring for him through the dementia that took him, but her other sisters wouldn't touch that duty (doody?) instead doing other necessary tasks
Oh and spiff, I'm a 'city boy' :D

muddy said:
Actually, if you know how & have good balance & leg strength; put a fist size rocks on the ground, one for each heel.  put your heels up on those rocks that should be spread apart, drop your drawers, squat, & then drop your load.  No need to worry about dropping your load in your pants which should be above your knees when squatting.  Like I said, this requires a good balance & a sense of humor.  You want to do this on level ground.  The trick is simply elevating both heals above ground level.  If you've ever done deep knee bends, sometimes referred to as "squats" during high school gym class, all you need to add are a couple of rocks, drop your drawers & be holding toilet paper in your hands to finish the job.

2 bricks and a hole is the toilet in most of the rest of the world believe me it works and when i came back from some of my longer around the world journeys it was weird to sit down on the "Porcelain Throne"

OK, you bucket lovers have convinced me!  I just ordered mine (with a pretty green seat) from Walmart, and look forward to giving it a good workout.

Tussah said:
OK, you bucket lovers have convinced me!  I just ordered mine (with a pretty green seat) from Walmart, and look forward to giving it a good workout.

Tussah said:

Steady diet of black coffee and jalapeños oughta do it.

Tussah said:

TWO Small, thin trash can liners need to be used to line the bucket, so the dump lands inside the liners. then it's easy to carefully squeeze the air out, twist the top, & at your earliest convenience, discard the liner in a nearby trash can at a rest area.

It's a good idea to use the liners for #2 ONLY, if the liners are filled with a lot of #1 (pee), the weight of the pee will likely leak out.

IF you plan to spend several days/nights in a remote area, or in a dispersed camping area, then you'll want to put the dump container trash bag liner inside a 1 qt FREEZER ziplok baggie which will contain contents & odor for several days, up to a week if the weather is cool/cold.

I keep toilet paper, 1 QT Freezer ziplok baggies, & a roll of thin trash can liners inside the el cheapo bucket/porta potty.  You just have to remember to take them out BEFORE taking care of business (the voice of experience speaking).