I THREW MY PORTA POTTY IN THE DUMPSTER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tussah said:
OK, you bucket lovers have convinced me!  I just ordered mine (with a pretty green seat) from Walmart, and look forward to giving it a good workout.

As Jeffrey Chaucer wrote a long time ago:

"And the claps of thunder almost knocked me over . . . " !

How many of you bucket lovers use Gamma Lids like me? My bucket holder has a little bunny on the front.

KayakGirl said:
Does anyone use those camp stool type contraptions with the attached toilet seat?  I asked this on another thread and got a reply.  Would be interested to know if anyone on this thread has used one.  They have good reviews on Amazon and the other poster said she liked hers.   I like the fact they can be folded up and stored away until needed.

Yes I own one and using the double doodie (or what ever they are called) bags works great.  I got it because it folds up and fits better with my tiny confined space.  I haven't used it with two kitchen bags yet, but I can't see how it would be any different.  No problems with trusting it, it snaps into place and holds an amazing amount of weight.

speedhighway46 said:
As Jeffrey Chaucer wrote a long time ago:

"And the claps of thunder almost knocked me over . . . " !

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!  I read the Chaucer quote and damn near spit up my beverage!  Thanks for the laugh!

I have a 5 gallon bucket and a cheap toilet seat from the hardware store. I need nothing fancy when paying my taxes. The important part for me is getting the bag out as quickly as possible because I also use cat litter for converting liquids to solids and I don't want it to get too heavy. This is a daily trash operation!

I don't have a bunny rabbit on mine.

flying kurbmaster said:
here is a bit of logic for you casey. I have kept my porta potty and will continue to use it, like a bucket, I set a bag in it which fits perfectly and pee in a container. The porta potty is a few years old and looks like brand new, never really used, nor has any water been in it. The main reason I keep it, is that I look self contained, in other words if I happen to be boondocking or stealth camping no one gets the idea that I am polluting their turf should they ask or worried. :):)

ok a change of heart this year. I have been doing just like I said above but this year I thought why don;t I give the porta potti a chance, so I decided to try it, taking some advice about smell I chose not to pee in it only poo, I used the deodorant sachet that came with it, I wanted to see if it smelled which is what I was most afraid of and if I could empty it without getting soiled. After two months of doing this I found that it does not stink even after three weeks. I also found that it is possible to empty it without getting anything on me. In fact it works pretty good, I have a Dometic, a small one, the only issue I had was that if you have a particularly large one like a three curler, you have to be careful when doing the paper work, you must lift off a little so you don't get anything on your hands but this issue existed when I was using bags something you wouldn't run into with a bucket. So overall it worked well and I like the convenience of it. I don;t find it hard to clean or deal with. So two thumbs up :) .

The answer to this question might be buried somewhere in the 80 gazillion replies in this thread.  Read them, but can't recall.  If so, sorry.

In this case, I'm not asking how you do it.  I'm asking if there is any reason the following methods, as described here, would not work, or if problematic, why.  

I'm assuming no easy place to discard used bags daily.

Method A
1.  Double plastic bags in a bucket as often described (sizes to suite)
2.  Do business
3.  Sprinkle absorbent of choice on top (optional)
4.  Twist and tie bag or otherwise seal it.
5.  Push bag down and leave it in the bucket.
6.  Add a new bag on top of used bag and inside of existing bag liner.
7.  Remove seat and seal the bucket (some type of lid)

Repeat cycle.  Do this until the pile of bags inside the bucket gets too tall, then dump.

-----

Method B
1.  Follow Steps 1-4 from Method A
2.  Remove the bag and place it in a different storage bucket with airtight lid (gamma lid?)
3.  Put a new bag back into the toilet bucket inside the existing bag liner.

Repeat cycle.  When storage bucket is full, dump it.

-----

Method A seems better in that it has fewer parts.  Method B seems better in that it allows storage of used bags outside of the van space (hitch area, roof rack, drag from a rope, use your imagination).

Comments?

Vagabound

Headache said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!  I read the Chaucer quote and damn near spit up my beverage!  Thanks for the laugh!

I have a 5 gallon bucket and a cheap toilet seat from the hardware store. I need nothing fancy when paying my taxes. The important part for me is getting the bag out as quickly as possible because I also use cat litter for converting liquids to solids and I don't want it to get too heavy. This is a daily trash operation!

I don't have a bunny rabbit on mine.

Clumping litter, I assume? I tossed my porta potti because it decided to leak while I was toting it to my 'dump station' (sewer cleanout) right on my freshly laundered pants, ugh!
also tried using bucket with lid with deodorizer packs, don't do it, folks, ammonia city
Tried the shavings / bucket, but while it works for me, sometimes it's not workable for my company

Vagabond said:
This is what I do, with noted changes:

Method A
1.  Double plastic bags in a bucket as often described (sizes to suite)
Use a 3 mil bag as your liner bag, you will not need to change it often but will be happy you have a strong bag when you do.
2.  Do business
3.  Sprinkle absorbent of choice on top (optional)
If you don't pee into bucket this is unnecessary, if you do add before starting (experiment with amount to get best absorption).
4.  Twist and tie bag or otherwise seal it.
5.  Push bag down and leave it in the bucket.
6.  Add a new bag on top of used bag and inside of existing bag liner.
7.  Remove seat and seal the bucket (some type of sealing lid) I use a gamma seal lid.

Repeat cycle.  Do this until the pile of bags inside the bucket gets too tall, then dump.
Dump as often as you can.  Plastic bags do not hold smell in very well.  No reason to endure smell every time you open the bucket.

I have used this method for two years with no unpleasant smells in the camper from sealed bucket.

-- Spiff

Back when I was a boy scout we used to dig pit latrines for the troop and then would bury everything at the end of a camp out. We would keep a bucket of ash near by to sprinkle over the top. We would lash a beam to two trees to sit on and everyone would do their business. Is this legal still? Would it work for groups or long term camping in one place? I may be a city boy but I grew up backcountry backpacking, canoeing and traveling the country with my family. Never been afraid or outhouses or pit latrines. Porta Johns and chemical toilets though gross me out mostly because people tend to abuse them in public places.

It depends on where you are whether or not it is legal. It also depends on where you are as to whether it is practical or  not.

Some national parks, it's an absolute no no - you must carry wag bags in and out. Same as on some river rafting trips.

In the northern woods it would be fine. In the AZ desert no so good. Composting, which is what you're essentially leaving the cathole to do, requires moisture and time. The desert is lacking in the moisture so whatever you buried would be around for a long, long time. It's not going to decompose. Which means that if any number of people did it, the whole area would just become a humanure wasteland.

The other issue is whether you can dig a deep enough hole. Certainly not in the desert around Quartzite and Ehrenberg...you'd need a jackhammer to get any depth of a hole.... :rolleyes: