I THREW MY PORTA POTTY IN THE DUMPSTER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you plan to get rid of the shower water? A single pan like that may be awkward to empty without bending/folding. Small "sump pump" into a container?
Or something more permanent?
RS

realspur62 said:
How do you plan to get rid of the shower water? A single pan like that may be awkward to empty...
If you are referring to the one in our rig? Each shower uses about 3 quarts of water... and some biodegradable soap... it is easy to take outside and water the plants with and not doing any harm to van floor (i.e. no mess) or the ground/plants. If we need to we have a small gallon container i can take into a toilet and dump.

My five gallon bucket toilet has never been used for its purpose yet, only as a trash can. But a friend flew down with her 3 year old boy and stayed in the van with me for a couple weeks. We always went to a public bathroom right before bed and had no troubles. Until the last couple nights. She needed to pee and I told her to christen the bucket. Instead both times she used one of her kid's diapers to pee into! I guess her ick factor is a little different than mine. :)

View attachment 1184View attachment 1185View attachment 1186View attachment 1187View attachment 1188NO LAUGHING! The shower works!
Thank you everyone who inspired me!
THIS IS A SIT DOWN SHOWER....THE WATER COMES FROM A D-CELL BATTERY OPPERATED GARDEN SPRAYER. THE SPRAYER RUNS FOR ABOUT 14 MINUTES BEFORE ALL THE WATER IS USED UP. YOU GET IN THE SHOWER AND TURN THE WATER ON AND THEN RUN THE WATER FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES TO WASH HAIR AND GET WET. THEN YOU TURN THE WATER OFF AND WASH. WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WASHING YOU TURN THE WATER ON AND RINSE. YOU CAN RINSE FOR 10 MINUTES. YOU HAVE LOTS OF ROOM TO WASH AND RINSE. IT IS A DOUBLE SHOWER CURTIN SO THE WATER ONLY GOES IN THE TUB. YOU CAN ALSO STAND IN THE SHOWER, BUT YOU HAVE TO CROUCH A LITTLE BIT.

wagoneer said:
I will chime in again since we all know my poo don't stink. If you can eat a lot less meat altering your diet the smell can be controlled separate solids from liquids. I pee in a wide mouth bottle add water so on so forth. compost becomes a reality.

I heard Kim Jong un dosent poop or pee! :D :p

I would rather walk a mile or lean against a hornets nest to poo if I had to in place of a bucket. I just can't do the bucket thing and whats worse is everyone thinks my bucket is full of poo(it's a trash can.).

Using a router I cut a groove in a wood toilet seat to fit the bucket rim feels like home. separate liquids and a hand full of peat moss done. 2-3 weeks between dumping no odor no fuss. Cassette toilets are overkill for me and messy to deal with.

akrvbob said:
That's your civilized mind. It's a curse we all have to deal with somehow.
Bob

Yep.  When you have to go, you will go....  anywhere!  The bucket comes in handy when the urge CANNOT be ignored!  Otherwise, better have dark brown carpet........  :rolleyes:

This thread has inspired me to move to the bucket option. A luggage loo is far cheaper for one, and the whole knuckles in my poo thought was the clincher. The only time we'd ever need it is when we're boondocking, which won't be very often (at least for our first year).

I may have missed it, but where do you dump your garbage bags of poo? Do you just throw them in a dumpster?

You put them the same place you put soiled baby diapers and dog poop you pick up: in any dumpster.
Bob

I just found this thread. I had to laugh when I read this because I did the exact same thing! I lived on the road in professional transport. I had a porta-potti my mother borrowed me. I'd had a very long day driving and went to use this thing. Apparently I either didn't latch the two halves properly or the seals sprung a leak because it spewed whiz everywhere. I was seriously cranky and mad! I had it (thankfully) sitting on a rubber-backed rug so that was easy to take out and run through a washer.

I immediately called my mom and said, "This  $*%* sprung a leak! Do you want it back?" She emphatically said, "NO!"

Like a toilet-bouncer I promptly dragged it out of the truck by it's toilet shirt-collar and threw it rudely in the nearest dumpster. It hit the bottom with a satisfying thud. Gone that fast.

The setup I ended up using and is still my go-to when ya gotta go:

A luggable loo (5 gallon bucket) with a lid. I double lined this with at least one black garbage bag, the other could be white. I added a few cheap, generic disposable diapers turned inside out and a camping toilet toss-in packet purchased from the WalMart RV section. I kept a roll of the small 4 gallon bags (Ruffies?) handy for...solids. When done, the small bag was tied up and tossed in with the rest. With the lid that snapped down and the diapers, spills and odors were not a problem.

This setup would last me around a day to a day & a half.

I found that I had more leakage problems with the 'ultra-flex' type bags, so I ended up staying away from those. I would look for the thickest mils bags. And I've had problems with the larger rolls of the Ruffies-style bags occasionally splitting up the side if you get a bad roll so I wouldn't use those for bucket liners - but for a solids bag the little ones work well.

A'though we claim to be queasy, we sure do like to talk about it. With out a RV with running water and a blacktank, nothing is easier or better than a 5 gallon bucket. unless it is my 3 gallon commode as office chair.

Does anyone use those camp stool type contraptions with the attached toilet seat? I asked this on another thread and got a reply. Would be interested to know if anyone on this thread has used one. They have good reviews on Amazon and the other poster said she liked hers. I like the fact they can be folded up and stored away until needed.

I had one of those folding commodes and I just couldn't trust it. If it ever gives way you'll end up dropping directly on whatever you're eliminating. I always felt like I was on a gallows waiting for the trap door to open.

So, I tried a few different things, and have ended up with a solution I'm surprised to be comfortable with: pooing directly into the Piddle Pail, or a 96oz widemouth Nalgene bladder, which have approximately the same sized openings.

Perhaps "comfortable" isn't the right word, but I find I greatly prefer the simplicity and the space savings to anything else I've tried or would consider trying.

Growing up in the construction trades, I guess I just took for granted pooping in buckets was normal. It wasn't very long ago everyone was doing it. (Think Chamber Pots) and in many parts of the world people still don't have toilets. I always found it funny everyone is so squeemish and fragile around this stuff. Every living creature produces it.

I have never posted to this thread but I want to point out that in some areas, you must have a black tank in some other areas you must have a pota-a-pottie, or you must use one of the approved kitty-litter type things(no poo in a bag in a bucket). I am not agreeing with this, I am just pointing it out, and yes I have been in one of these areas and have been checked out, if I didn't comply I would have been forced to leave. also in some areas you must have 100% containment of grey water. highdesertranger