if you need this much watts, do this

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is important for deciding what you need. Why those places? Every state west of where you live has millions of acres of public land you can camp on, and you can find nice weather all year by moving around.

IMO, it's best to start minimal. If you like to motorcycle trip, then it seems that would be very minimal, plus a lot of weather exposure. Having a more luxurious experience in a van would be very easy!

Will you be full time or just taking trips? What part of the country, and what time of year? What sort of rig do you have in mind?
Why those places? I managed a trucking company for years and that's what I'm familiar with. Now, my intro thread talked about a marathon road trip I hope to repeat AND my "retirement" plan is to spend 6 months or so of each year somewhere cooler, and the other 6 somewhere warmer, if you follow.

Yeah, the bike trips were minimal. Those were days. We cheated and hoteled a lot, though. And I agree that a van-camp experience will not be quite as minimal as that.

I envision full-timing, though practically I know it'll take a bit to work up to that. I have years to ramp up into this. I think the best rig for this job will be a DIY minivan conversion, because 1) I'm handy enough to do it and keep it functioning 100%, 2) it'll give me the freedom/flexibility to build it out over time, 3) I won't have to deal with a trailer or other rig when I stop at places I want to be.

All my questions about electrical are focused on building the knowledge to build my van correctly when I spend the effort. I saw a setup on YouTube that I really liked but the guy is an electrical engineer! So, baby steps.

Now, my intro thread talked about a marathon road trip I hope to repeat AND my "retirement" plan is to spend 6 months or so of each year somewhere cooler, and the other 6 somewhere warmer, if you follow.
I just saw your intro thread and replied. I'd never get a minivan for vagabonding, but it would work for people who don't venture offroad.

So are you planning on 2 different homes, or just traveling with the seasons in your rig?

Getting back to the electrical question, it doesn't sound like you are going to have enough room for a lot of unnecessary junk. A vent with fan is a good idea, maybe a fridge, laptop, maybe internet and a couple led lights? That's about it for electrical. The fridge would be the biggest energy load, ~300Wh per day but will vary a lot depending on temperature.

I just saw your intro thread and replied. I'd never get a minivan for vagabonding, but it would work for people who don't venture offroad.

So are you planning on 2 different homes, or just traveling with the seasons in your rig?

Getting back to the electrical question, it doesn't sound like you are going to have enough room for a lot of unnecessary junk. A vent with fan is a good idea, maybe a fridge, laptop, maybe internet and a couple led lights? That's about it for electrical. The fridge would be the biggest energy load, ~300Wh per day but will vary a lot depending on temperature.
I don't anticipate "off-roading" very much. A gravel track is about as rough as I anticipate.

And no 2 homes for me (thanks for thinking I have that kind of scratch.) Traveling with the seasons.