New NYC transplant w a dream

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A minivan conversion seems like an ideal solution. So, I'm here to learn.
This is interesting info when combined with your other threads!

You said you saw yourself "camping" at Walmarts and truckstops... and that you'd be on a motorcycle if you could. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling you'd like to camp in the boonies... which is very easy to do in the west, comfortably all year.

If that's potentially true, I wouldn't have a minivan. The ground clearance is universally atrocious, which is a big limiter on where you can go.

Better would be a SUV if you like cozy spaces. A decent one will be able to go anywhere. I have buddy who does extended camping in a 1st gen Rav4.

I only built my current monstrosity because it was going to be for two people, but there is only me left, and it's way more than I need. I previously lived in a little Toyota truck, and that was about right. Before getting the Tundra in '16 I debated getting a Frontier 2wd 4cyl 5 speed stick, which was the closest new vehicle to what I used to have. Honestly I wish I had! Boost the suspension, bigger tires, regear and add a locker... that would go anywhere also.

You said you saw yourself "camping" at Walmarts and truckstops... and that you'd be on a motorcycle if you could. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling you'd like to camp in the boonies... which is very easy to do in the west, comfortably all year.

If that's potentially true, I wouldn't have a minivan. The ground clearance is universally atrocious, which is a big limiter on where you can go.

Better would be a SUV if you like cozy spaces. A decent one will be able to go anywhere. I have buddy who does extended camping in a 1st gen Rav4.
These are great thoughts to chew on. I have never been inclined to camp in the boonies BUT I'm giving it a go over the next couple years here in TX. I have the rest of grad school to test out some ideas to see what sticks. I'm not dead-set against the SUV idea but that'd take some digesting and research.

I have never been inclined to camp in the boonies BUT I'm giving it a go over the next couple years here in TX.
TX doesn't have BLM and very little NF land. It's not a good place to boondock. I did camp on private land (owned by a huge outfit) SW of Terlingua last winter and no one bothered me, but you never know.

Go a little further west, and it's a whole nother world. Free camping everywhere...

TX doesn't have BLM and very little NF land. It's not a good place to boondock. I did camp on private land (owned by a huge outfit) SW of Terlingua last winter and no one bothered me, but you never know.

Go a little further west, and it's a whole nother world. Free camping everywhere...
Around me in N TX, there's a few NWA spots where one can go for nothing or darn close. I'm not 100% sure I want to be any boonier than that, yet.

It’s gonna get cold in North Texas in winter I would seriously look at hybrid vehicles for the ability to keep temps comfortable. A simple inverter hooked to the hybrid vehicle would solve all your power problems as well.

I saw an old friend...in his late 50’s and told me last year[,] he was considering getting an apartment...
A couple-three weeks ago, we went to the big Health And Wellness Expo at the fairgrounds.
Strategically placed between the funeral parlors and hearing-aids, several vendors represented old-timers homes, those all-inclusive warehouses for geezers to gradually wilt into the carpeting.
Free! Lunch! with a tour, so we checked into a few.
By 'checked into', I mean 'investigate'... not retire my muddy goated Carhartt over-hauls for a pastel cardigan and Velcro® loafers.
The grub is pretty standard institutional, I suspect the same as you might get at the loonie asylum or an upscale jail.
We came to the conclusion they just aren't ready for us yet.
And, besides, they told us we need to store our ExpeditionVehicle off-campus.
Don't want any of the resident geezers getting ideas...