How do u live on $700/month, truly?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's in my first comment. Food stamps to pay for food, $75 a month for phone, $75 a month for insurance, and $160 a month for gas (assuming the person isn't traveling).
I guess in my monthly budget I include repairs, propane for cooking and heating, netflixs is free on my phone plan but Prime is 10 a month but even taking just your expenses... food 300 phone 100 65 ins for cars, fuel about 200 a month $55 a month rent for park $4 every 2 weeks for truck to come empty black tank so not buying anything else like clothes' solar dodas etc etc t still comes out to $738 then if I add what it has actually cost me in repairs of RV and vehicles for the last 3 years we are talking about $250 a month extra so pretty close to a grand a month...of course we all have different vehicles, food budget and comfort levels

That sucks. I thought western states would be higher. Thankfully vanlifers aren't stuck in AZ. If food stamps are only $16 a month there, I would apply in a state where it's higher. In North Carolina and South Carolina, it's at least $200 with an income of $700.
depends where but for my sis at least if they raised the amount she got in SSI then the food stamps went down by same or more lol we used to laugh about that the net extra was usually about 50 cents to a dollar more!

depends where but for my sis at least if they raised the amount she got in SSI then the food stamps went down by same or more lol we used to laugh about that the net extra was usually about 50 cents to a dollar mor
Yeah, Arizona apparently sucks. The Carolinas are way better. And I think Virginia is better than the Carolinas.

Reactions: Sky
I guess in my monthly budget I include repairs, propane for cooking and heating, netflixs is free on my phone plan but Prime is 10 a month but even taking just your expenses... food 300 phone 100 65 ins for cars, fuel about 200 a month $55 a month rent for park $4 every 2 weeks for truck to come empty black tank so not buying anything else like clothes' solar dodas etc etc t still comes out to $738 then if I add what it has actually cost me in repairs of RV and vehicles for the last 3 years we are talking about $250 a month extra so pretty close to a grand a month...of course we all have different vehicles, food budget and comfort levels
Exactly. I've only lived out of a Yaris and in 16 years the only needed repairs were a serpentine belt and a water pump. I did have to replace the clutch when my car was stolen by someone who didn't know how to drive a stick but I don't count that as a valid expense. I couldn't even imagine paying $250 a month on repairs. At that point I'd be looking at a newer vehicle with a warranty.

Even with your figures though, if you weren't paying for food, your budget would only be $678 including repairs. In an SUV/minivan, gas would be less and someone could eliminate parking and the cost of the black tank. Then with a cheaper phone plan, they could save about $100 a month even with spending $250 a month on repairs.

My actual budget when I was in my Yaris was way higher because I was spending what I had but especially living in a SUV/minivan and receiving food benefits, a person can easily live on $700 a month if they're not paying for things like medications, student loans, etc.

O how nice it would be to live off a fixed income. My 30 years of working in sales has had me at the highest highs and lows lows (with money). It would be so nice and predictable to have a consistent stream of income so I could budget properly. Even if its not much.

So I have been practicing reducing any costs to live and saving for whatnot. So far I came up with 1000-1500 a month would be very comfortable. But just yesterday I wanted to calculate how low I could really go living on the road if I found free land to stay at and did less driving. The below assumes no vehicle payment and $$$ saved for emergency repairs and whatnot.

Car ins- 100
Phone- 100
food/Msc- 300
gas- 200
=700
I quite likely could cut food costs and gas usage even more.

The one thing ill need to figure out is health insurance. Which would be a big chunk to add since i am not close to retirement age, but you don't have to have insurance.

Comfort is me sitting by a fire in the woods with no-one around. Pure Gold!
That is impressive. Well I lived in my step van back in the early 80's at age 21 and I was the ''working poor'' as well as during one of those downturns. I required far less and after taxes working 2 pt jobs flipping Pizza at a Corporate chain's, lived on $700 month after taxes. Mind you I ate skimpy and where I worked, so food was not as much cost back then plus I had zero consciousness about 'you are what you eat and drink'. I parked at friends for no monetary costs and did exchanges instead, so my costs as far as gas was very low like $50.00 p/m. One thing I learned and was advised by my father who made a lot more money in RE sales and a CEO than I will ever in this lifetime. "It's fine if you want to sit on a mountain and meditate all day but buy the mountain". Also after living in my van I walked away with 2 priorities. #1 Buy some dirt so I have a home base and am free-beholding to no one.
#2 I personally would prefer a unit that is 30 ft and that I can detach from and is not my sole only transportation. That said I did have a 17ft travel trailer and went out in 2015 which changed my priorities because even though I am very astute at driving a trailer rig would rather not. I sold that and have been watching the small RV's 21 ft but the greed and asking price that has inflated has me on pause with that. I got the piece of dirt 20 + yrs ago and given the gas consumption or costs plus covid I am so glad I did. In 2015 and since I am a bit soured on roaming as I utterly hate the cost of gas and the idea of participating in that consumption. It feels as empty as throwing my hard to come by $ down the landlord/rent hole. Dirt is cheap in many places still and taxes are as dirt cheap and just takes looking into and often in the SW as low as $500-700 a 1/4 acre and cheaper if you get it at tax auction.

Yeah, Arizona apparently sucks. The Carolinas are way better. And I think Virginia is better than the Carolinas.
My niece lives in Florida and mentioned recently that Florida is booming with many moving in from So Carolina and so I was thinking that the prices in SC may be going down if people are moving out. Got to look into that. Could really use a warmer place in the winter to Snow Bird too.

That sucks. I thought western states would be higher. Thankfully vanlifers aren't stuck in AZ. If food stamps are only $16 a month there, I would apply in a state where it's higher. In North Carolina and South Carolina, it's at least $200 with an income of $700.
Wow that is impressive in NM it is similar to AZ but I think a little better maybe? Years ago when I was ill with no income for a time and 1 dependent NM gave $200 + but when no dependent and temp dis income of $700 kicked in they dropped me to $16. I was so disgusted I told the guy at the Human 'Not' services dept. to forget it and walked out. I have an elderly neighbor who said she get's a lot more due to covid but in NM you only get food stamps worth subsisting on if you have no income in my past experience.

Exactly. I've only lived out of a Yaris and in 16 years the only needed repairs were a serpentine belt and a water pump. I did have to replace the clutch when my car was stolen by someone who didn't know how to drive a stick but I don't count that as a valid expense. I couldn't even imagine paying $250 a month on repairs. At that point I'd be looking at a newer vehicle with a warranty.

Even with your figures though, if you weren't paying for food, your budget would only be $678 including repairs. In an SUV/minivan, gas would be less and someone could eliminate parking and the cost of the black tank. Then with a cheaper phone plan, they could save about $100 a month even with spending $250 a month on repairs.

My actual budget when I was in my Yaris was way higher because I was spending what I had but especially living in a SUV/minivan and receiving food benefits, a person can easily live on $700 a month if they're not paying for things like medications, student loans, etc.
Keeping in mind I paid a $1000 for the Dodge 1993 Cummins Diesel and I've put over 90000 miles on it in the last 10 years with about 5 grand of repairs total and I could sell it tomorrow for at least 4 grand..Been from AZ to Mexico, Oregon several times etc etc never stranded with it.... So over the 10 years 1000 plus 5000 gran in repairs works out to about $50 a month AND that's with improvements to engine etc etc so not too bad BUT when the repair bill is all at once that sucks for sure.
I've had it both ways vehicle wise and a new or newer vehicle one is looking at 200-350 a month for 20 grand then on top of that is the full coverage ins of at least 150 a month so right there to save my 250 in repairs there is a monthly of 350 to 500 and no guarantee that it will not break down either..I had a Ford F250 that NEVER broke down but got 6.5 miles pulling my trailer..when I went to Texas to work for 3 months it cost $700 each way so $1400 % 3 equals $466 a month just in gas ..so I never really drove that thing...Had a friend in park that his turbo broke in the truck that he used to pull his house the nthe tranny went all told over $4000 to repair..I pulled him into the park with my truck till he could afford to fix it and someone let him stay on their for for free...Now granted this are trucks for pulling trailers but the same thing applies to a Dodge caravan or any other vehicle...Hondas and yamahas are very reliable BUT when they break they cost more to fix often and they are more expensive upfront...of course IF it comes down to living under a bridge or in a car I could get my bills much lower but that is a personal thing for each has to define for ones self as far as WHAT is the minimum level...some need top ramen once a day others want Rib Eye for lunch and dinner lol....Some of my friends look at me like I am crazy for living in a RV and others wish they had a RV so ...all depends
The snow is me stuck in rest area due to snow..rescued 2 others that were without heat for the 36 hours we were there...me internet food... heat all the comforts of home AND able to share them with those poor folks too!

Attachments

• 20190511_094336.jpg
    20190511_094336.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200116_193627.mp4
    3 MB
  • IMG_20190516_140115455.jpg
    IMG_20190516_140115455.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
SSI isn't social security. It's for low income people with a disability. So when the OP said healthy, I assumed they meant physically healthy and that they were getting SSI for a mental illness. Unfortunately for a lot of people, having a mental illness that qualifies the person for SSI means they're unable to maintain consistent employment for any significant length of time. I had a friend who received social security and SSI for a mental illness. Even though they reduced her SSI for any income she made over $65, she would still try to work. She could only maintain it for a month at most before her condition interfered with her job and then her dad would have to jump through hoops to ensure that her SSI wasn't negatively affected. It's usually more trouble than it's worth for people on SSI to work.

Just wanted to spell that out for anyone else reading this post.
I am not sure but I think they also put people who are retirement age and just did not make much in their lifetime be it housewife or whatever reasons ? On it as well. I know of two elderly women in my area who subsist on the same amount but I do not know officially if they were deemed mentally challenged as their disclosure was just how little they make work to live on. Yet I know of a nomad who was gainfully employed as Master's level counselor but had horrendous losses during 2008 and ended up living in a van but was getting a lot more than the other's 1 -2 k and said she was on SSDI for and clearly visibly so, mental break down and illness. Just to add to the information as well.

That is impressive. Well I lived in my step van back in the early 80's at age 21 and I was the ''working poor'' as well as during one of those downturns. I required far less and after taxes working 2 pt jobs flipping Pizza at a Corporate chain's, lived on $700 month after taxes. Mind you I ate skimpy and where I worked, so food was not as much cost back then plus I had zero consciousness about 'you are what you eat and drink'. I parked at friends for no monetary costs and did exchanges instead, so my costs as far as gas was very low like $50.00 p/m. One thing I learned and was advised by my father who made a lot more money in RE sales and a CEO than I will ever in this lifetime. "It's fine if you want to sit on a mountain and meditate all day but buy the mountain". Also after living in my van I walked away with 2 priorities. #1 Buy some dirt so I have a home base and am free-beholding to no one.
#2 I personally would prefer a unit that is 30 ft and that I can detach from and is not my sole only transportation. That said I did have a 17ft travel trailer and went out in 2015 which changed my priorities because even though I am very astute at driving a trailer rig would rather not. I sold that and have been watching the small RV's 21 ft but the greed and asking price that has inflated has me on pause with that. I got the piece of dirt 20 + yrs ago and given the gas consumption or costs plus covid I am so glad I did. In 2015 and since I am a bit soured on roaming as I utterly hate the cost of gas and the idea of participating in that consumption. It feels as empty as throwing my hard to come by $ down the landlord/rent hole. Dirt is cheap in many places still and taxes are as dirt cheap and just takes looking into and often in the SW as low as $500-700 a 1/4 acre and cheaper if you get it at tax auction.

A van or compact RV would be ideal for me too. I contemplated a trailer but it would hinder the versatility and mobility of my 4Runner, plus I too would rather not tow a trailer everywhere I go. I'm planning on buying some dirt in WV, hopefully ~5 acres. Its always good to have a home base.

Reactions: Sky
I just watched this YouTube video last night about eating for a week, 3 meals a day, on $10 shopping at the Dollar Tree. And not a Ramen noodle meal in the bunch!

I see she also has one about buying the food at Aldi's.

I was impressed.

I talk to many nomads who will state (well, actually gripe or complain) that they're living on a "fixed income." Upon further inquiry they "get by" on $2k, have a home base somewhere - or storage with stuff.
How they manage to have no money left at the end of the month is beyond me.
What I would like to know is how you, dear reader, live on, say $700/month. Period.
Not after house/car payment, not "after" whatever.
Let's say you're a healthy senior on original Medicare, with no more than the $700 of SSI (after Part B withholding).
ALL your expenses come out of that amount, yes, food and drink, gas and vehicle insurance/maintenance (van or small RV, paid for), CC and other fees, clothing, everything.
How do you live with any degree of comfort on that?
Lol. Mine was even less. Under $500 after part B (medicare makes me boiling mad, don’t get me started).
This month I’m truly living off my SS which has been 670 lately and some online sales as a reseller. It’s been scary! Gratitude and prayer always help.

I have had no debt for decades, but at this belt-tightening juncture, might have to reluctantly get a credit card to ramp up my online sales. A new, fast phone was crucial for business and I’m sorry I didn’t buy it last year. It’s a game changer for online sales plus keeping up technical skills is important.

I have full coverage on my 2006 car and that is a priority. My last big recent expense was a new alternator which came out of my emergency fund (depleted now).

I’ve been applying for PT jobs - that bit of extra income would do the trick - but have an old small mean biter dog who cannot be left in my suv for hours while I work and doggie daycare won’t take him.
Plus, omicron will be a danger until mid-march. So it’s better if i put more time into ramping up online sales instead of working with the public. Catching Covid would kill me.

I really hate to apply for social services. I have ptsd from my last horrible encounter with them in 2018. It’s a last, last resort.
I would much rather hustle and make a better income. I like to work. 2k mo is great. With 3k a month I can save 1k or more a month. I’m great about saving up cash when my income is higher.

I’m a city nomad so I have a small cheap office. Storage here is very high, the same as an office.

I could sell my metal detector if I had to raise cash fast. Prefer to use it! 🤣🙏🏽

I talk to many nomads who will state (well, actually gripe or complain) that they're living on a "fixed income." Upon further inquiry they "get by" on $2k, have a home base somewhere - or storage with stuff.
How they manage to have no money left at the end of the month is beyond me.
What I would like to know is how you, dear reader, live on, say $700/month. Period.
Not after house/car payment, not "after" whatever.
Let's say you're a healthy senior on original Medicare, with no more than the $700 of SSI (after Part B withholding).
ALL your expenses come out of that amount, yes, food and drink, gas and vehicle insurance/maintenance (van or small RV, paid for), CC and other fees, clothing, everything.
How do you live with any degree of comfort on that?
Hello Guenter, this is not exactly what I think you want which is hard numbers and facts now in 2021-2022. But thank you for posting the topic which is seldom discussed and somewhat a social taboo since so many want to live beyond their means, outside of this blog. I have noticed that most people I meet both on the road, and not almost always spend in direct relation to how much money they have even including savings. The people I have encountered who live on $700.00 or less seemed to always have ways to hussle more money via crafts and such talents as well as figure out how to use their limited amount of money more wisely. Ya know the ole adage ''too much money and no sense''. In my case it was not enough $ and very low sense until I matured and learned otherwise from those people I mentioned above who had impressively a lot of ''sense''. I find many of those folk in this online community. The key is to find out what is requiring more resource and reduce if not eliminate it. When I was on the road I found I spent a lot more than when I am set up in one place long term. I spent A LOT more on gas, on tech because I would have to have more to navigate places and on other stress related spending, ya know a stimulant drink here a snack there just to do so on the fly. When I am not moving my gas averages $30-50 p/m and no beverages or snacks on the fly and my tech communication goes down to my $11.00 p/m cell phone bill. I am amazed at how much some people here spend on technology and cell phone bills as opposed to food or better quality foods. Oh and my auto insurance averages $20.00 p/m with Geico when I carry the bare bones and $50.00 when I carry the moon/more. It is moving around more that I find costs more period, just common physics I suppose. With hyper inflation destined to keep creeping in, yes it will be very hard to make ends meet so clearly people will have to figure out how to survive as they have already done for quite a long time. Those that I met on the road would set themselves down in Quartzsite AZ for many months and literally lived on a shoestring but seemed happy with that. I myself have to be in nature and so for me when I honor my most top needs, I just am able to be content and even happy and spend less. I am counting the days to when I can get rid of this satellite bill and only am online when I am in wifi surfing range which the library in town has free access and a very nice parking lot whereby nomads frequent. When it comes down to it I am a diy survivalist and have already had those serious moments of thoughts about ''really'' what and how much do I really need what is really important esp. if SHTFan and there is $5-10 + p/g gas, or the entire grid goes down or ??? etc... I ask myself often, "what do I seriously really need to live well each day from the perspective of surviving and thriving self sufficiently as opposed to what as an indoctrinated consumer slave that I ''think'' I need daily?
Oh and the other thing is that I am and was for work a Gardner and I keep increasing how much food I grow and can store as well. LOL I had a business in Calli 2+ decades ago and told my elderly clients that really I was just a frustrated farmer doing Gardening. Now I get to have some of my own dirt and farm my own organic quality edibles. I even had a plan of how I would do that in Quartsite when and if I ever return there. Hope this helps someone ~ Old Native American adage, "know where your water comes from, know where your food comes from..." The more I was in close range to so called civilization and such areas the more I had to spend as well on everything that when set I can provide for myself for cheaper i.e one Berkey water filter and rain water catch cistern and I never buy water again for anything.

One of the things I realize when I try to systematically budget, is that the only flexibility I have is what I spend on food.
Phone plans maybe, and auto insurance a little bit.
Gas, well you can just try to drive more economically and hunt for cheap gas, but then you save maybe 10%?
So I'm back to ramen, beans and rice. 🤣

I just watched this YouTube video last night about eating for a week, 3 meals a day, on $10 shopping at the Dollar Tree. And not a Ramen noodle meal in the bunch!

I see she also has one about buying the food at Aldi's.

I was impressed.

it can be done for sure....just a choice...My choice is fresh everything nothing premade or packaged at all

Attachments

• 484815_10201961955307640_763538036_n_10201961955307640.jpg
    484815_10201961955307640_763538036_n_10201961955307640.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 527030_3957128563797_193459117_n_3957128563797.jpg
    527030_3957128563797_193459117_n_3957128563797.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 548102_3992850496823_1247030415_n_3992850496823.jpg
    548102_3992850496823_1247030415_n_3992850496823.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 995085_10203487930296061_6051135600226670013_n_10203487930296061.jpg
    995085_10203487930296061_6051135600226670013_n_10203487930296061.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 10458779_10203651999877698_265853533369674079_n_10203651999877698.jpg
    10458779_10203651999877698_265853533369674079_n_10203651999877698.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4
Guenter,
When I budget I do all that I can think of to LIVE BELOW my means. (I really did live on $250 a month and became debt free in the process on an SSDI income of 650 a month)

Ideas:
Prioritize and keep the list where I see it all the time. This helps me to form questions when a choice or decision comes up - even little decisions like what my next meal will be.
Take advantage of everything available to help me (and keep me healthy, which is one of my priorities): Lifeline phone service. Food Banks. Thrift Store clothing give aways. Medicare. Medicaid. Hot meals at Senior Centers. Libraries. Public Parks. Bathrooms and dumpsters at public locations. Only with permission gas station microwaves, hot water and ice. Newspaper style shopping flyers and shopping bags (trash, #2 etc). Rec Center and homeless shelter showers and laundry. Church assistance or pot lucks. I'm certain there are things I am forgetting to list.
Become Radically Independent: I understand that others and agencies will help with food and clothes maybe blankets - they are NOT going to help me fix my vehicle. So I am doing maintenance all the time. There's not much to save, but I set aside everything I can for an EMF (emergency fund). Fix what breaks, I use You Tube University a lot. I make sure that both I and my vehicle home look neat and clean all the time. I avoid looking in any way typically'needy' I have learned to think like a long distance hiker or perpetual traveler, it pays off for me to live with less 'stuff'.
Budget:
Gas: 100 or less for gas - when I use it up I stop driving, which means that I might need to camp somewhere for 14 days and move as short a distance as possible and camp again.
Food: food pantry only 0-50 ( I no longer do this it was not healthy for me I now get 20EBT and budget 200)
Vehicle Insurance: only my state's minimal requirements 45 (my income is higher now and I increased the amount and added roadside assistance as well now 55)
Medical insurance: 0 Medicaid and Medicare only (with QMB through the MAO for low income people with less than $1000 per month)
Phone: Safelink lifeline (Currently with EBB)
Household stuff: cooking fuel. TP. Etc 25
That was it!

I hope that helps some.
Feel free to ask me questions.
Simply Lesa

A van or compact RV would be ideal for me too. I contemplated a trailer but it would hinder the versatility and mobility of my 4Runner, plus I too would rather not tow a trailer everywhere I go. I'm planning on buying some dirt in WV, hopefully ~5 acres. Its always good to have a home base.

I'm planning on buying some dirt in WV, hopefully ~5 acres. Its always good to have a home base.
"It's fine if you want to sit on a mountain and meditate all day but buy the mountain". Also after living in my van I walked away with 2 priorities. #1 Buy some dirt so I have a home base and am free-beholding to no one.
I got the piece of dirt 20 + yrs ago and given the gas consumption or costs plus covid I am so glad I did. In 2015 and since I am a bit soured on roaming as I utterly hate the cost of gas and the idea of participating in that consumption. It feels as empty as throwing my hard to come by $ down the landlord/rent hole. Dirt is cheap in many places still and taxes are as dirt cheap and just takes looking into and often in the SW as low as $500-700 a 1/4 acre and cheaper if you get it at tax auction.

I strongly disagree about "buying dirt" as a generally good idea for a vehicle dweller. If you buy dirt you have ongoing property taxes and rules. You can't just park your camper on your land legally, unless it's specifically zoned for "anything goes"... and I frankly don't know if that's true anywhere. I know in the west that isn't the case, at least anywhere you'd like to be. You may get away with it so long as no one complains, but you won't be legal unless you have a septic (at a minimum) and get the proper paperwork, inspections, pay the fees, etc... and that is assuming that campers are even allowed as dwellings. Plus then you are stuck in one spot... with neighbors.

Why not do it for free on the bazillion acres of public land in the west? You have to "buy the mountain", you already own the right to park on all of them! 20 years ago I parked on NF and BLM all the time (13 year stint), did not pay any attention to limits, and never once saw a BLM ranger, and was never told to move by a NF ranger. I was in remote areas most of the time, but if I found a nice spot I'd return to it for months. But even if I obeyed the letter of the limit rules, it wouldn't have involved a lot of driving.

Just because you are living in a vehicle, doesn't mean you have to put 15k miles (or more) on it per year! You hardly need to drive any more than if you were planted on a piece of dirt as a home base. If you like to travel around, then you are going to do that regardless.

Guenter,
When I budget I do all that I can think of to LIVE BELOW my means. (I really did live on $250 a month and became debt free in the process on an SSDI income of 650 a month)

Ideas:
Prioritize and keep the list where I see it all the time. This helps me to form questions when a choice or decision comes up - even little decisions like what my next meal will be.
Take advantage of everything available to help me (and keep me healthy, which is one of my priorities): Lifeline phone service. Food Banks. Thrift Store clothing give aways. Medicare. Medicaid. Hot meals at Senior Centers. Libraries. Public Parks. Bathrooms and dumpsters at public locations. Only with permission gas station microwaves, hot water and ice. Newspaper style shopping flyers and shopping bags (trash, #2 etc). Rec Center and homeless shelter showers and laundry. Church assistance or pot lucks. I'm certain there are things I am forgetting to list.
Become Radically Independent: I understand that others and agencies will help with food and clothes maybe blankets - they are NOT going to help me fix my vehicle. So I am doing maintenance all the time. There's not much to save, but I set aside everything I can for an EMF (emergency fund). Fix what breaks, I use You Tube University a lot. I make sure that both I and my vehicle home look neat and clean all the time. I avoid looking in any way typically'needy' I have learned to think like a long distance hiker or perpetual traveler, it pays off for me to live with less 'stuff'.
Budget:
Gas: 100 or less for gas - when I use it up I stop driving, which means that I might need to camp somewhere for 14 days and move as short a distance as possible and camp again.
Food: food pantry only 0-50 ( I no longer do this it was not healthy for me I now get 20EBT and budget 200)
Vehicle Insurance: only my state's minimal requirements 45 (my income is higher now and I increased the amount and added roadside assistance as well now 55)
Medical insurance: 0 Medicaid and Medicare only (with QMB through the MAO for low income people with less than $1000 per month)
Phone: Safelink lifeline (Currently with EBB)
Household stuff: cooking fuel. TP. Etc 25
That was it!

I hope that helps some.
Feel free to ask me questions.
Simply Lesa
Hi Lesa always like hearing from you and cheers 2U great information and I too found food bank food not doable for my health as well. Although there has been collaboration between food banks and local small and organic farmers in recent time especially during covid whereby supplying food banks with local and organic produce is more frequent at least in NM. I have at times been actually able to donate to the one in town when had overages of organic kale,onions and tomatoes.

You described my financial situation perfectly.... I am in Washington. I stay here because we are the liberal benefits state. If you are playing your cards right and not in a state that offers nothing and over 65, it's not as bad... I will explain.

If you want max benefits... Try California their state supplements to SSI are several hundred dollars... But everything is so expensive.

I get SSI/SSA dual checks with a small $38.50 state supplement, I believe we get to cover the Medicare meds copay I did not have before, total monthly exactly 899.50.

If you are single in WA on SSI there is a special state category for you and you get more food benefit than you would otherwise.. Plus you don't wait on hold forever, you are special, lol.
My Food Benefits are $191, but because of COVID, WA has added $95 a month to that.. So for now $286 food benefit, it was $304 til recent SSA raises.

If you are 65 and on SSI, WA state pays all of your Medicare monthly costs, I pay zero to Medicare. You should not be paying Medicare for anything. My $1400 a month of meds costs me like $10 month..

What you need if on SSI-SSA is the SNP Medicare Advantage plan... Which is for people getting both.

From them I get,which is not reported or counted against SSI
$610 every 3 months over the counter drugs and transportation benefit... Soap, vitamins, socks, first aid etc... All kinds of stuff you can buy. I use $26 bottle Neutrogena, anti wrinkle cream lol... Why not 😁 💵 💵.. Let's stay young
$150 cash on flex card, every 3 months as part of the Chronic Illness Benefit (you must qualify by illness) that pays for my dog food and supplies for the Dog. They consider emotional support.
Plus $85 a month Fresh Food Benefit.
Medicare Advantage is a great scam by health care corporations, but it is good for me. Glasses, dental.

I have the usual bills
Car ins.
Fuel, heat
Net Server
2 cell services
Weed and cigarettes lol
One credit card.. Small balance

So.... My Brother got bad cancer, my Family live in So Fla. His state benefits and Co pays etc. When he explained, I was happy I was living here.

I would like to move, buy a few acres in like Arizona, New Mexico. I went to college in Boulder. But benefits are an issue. I think better to brave the winters and stay here.

So for guy on Disability benefits... In total I have a pretty good sum coming in now. COVID cash helped out too, COVID has been good for me.