How do u live on $700/month, truly?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strongly disagree about "buying dirt" as a generally good idea for a vehicle dweller. If you buy dirt you have ongoing property taxes and rules. You can't just park your camper on your land legally, unless it's specifically zoned for "anything goes"... and I frankly don't know if that's true anywhere. I know in the west that isn't the case, at least anywhere you'd like to be. You may get away with it so long as no one complains, but you won't be legal unless you have a septic (at a minimum) and get the proper paperwork, inspections, pay the fees, etc... and that is assuming that campers are even allowed as dwellings. Plus then you are stuck in one spot... with neighbors.

Why not do it for free on the bazillion acres of public land in the west? You have to "buy the mountain", you already own the right to park on all of them! 20 years ago I parked on NF and BLM all the time (13 year stint), did not pay any attention to limits, and never once saw a BLM ranger, and was never told to move by a NF ranger. I was in remote areas most of the time, but if I found a nice spot I'd return to it for months. But even if I obeyed the letter of the limit rules, it wouldn't have involved a lot of driving.

Just because you are living in a vehicle, doesn't mean you have to put 15k miles (or more) on it per year! You hardly need to drive any more than if you were planted on a piece of dirt as a home base. If you like to travel around, then you are going to do that regardless.

Of course its not a good idea at all for the majority of Van dwellers, that's not there goal. Sky and I were simply discussing what we would like and its quite possible to live off 700 a month and own land.

That's why you buy dirt that fits your needs, like no rules and no issue living in your RV on your property. In my case as land becomes more and more expensive and things get crazier and crazier a peace of land will be of great benefit to my children and grand children. I think it would be nice to also offer it to van dwellers passing through. If I can pick up 5 acres of land for under 50k my taxes would be ~$200 a year in WV and the only rules i need to follow is having a septic tank if I build a house and don't shoot anyone. Otherwise anything goes in WV.

Set up a real address with family or friends in a home state and from there apply for Medicare help Medicaid snap benefits and anything else you can get. snap food stamps are usable across the entire continental United States not just in the state where you get them from You would have to return to your home state to get any benefits from Medicaid usually includes dental and vision. If you apply for the extra help program you will also have your part A Medicare premiums paid As well as qualify for Part D prescription coverage usually with no copay or premium. I've asked many millennials Who are paying for these benefits for us seniors through their taxes if they mind. none has said they do You work your whole life take advantage of it, and ask for senior discounts everywhere you go
Most states have a requirement that you seek work if you get food stamps or other assistance, and you are not working.

I guess the definition of "living well" is a matter of opinion. I don't think anyone could "live well" on $700 month if they have the customary expenses (food, housing, transportation, non insurance covered health expenses, etc) associated with independent living.

With a small budget, a creative, out of the box approach is required in order to "live well". This can be done on a item by item basis. For example, house hacking can eliminate housing expenses. Learning how to shop and cook frugally. Living in a walkable community with good public transportation. Another option is to expatriate to another country. $700 per month would provide for a middle class lifestyle in some countries. I'm familiar with Belize, and English speaking country in Central America. But there are many countries where that amount of money would not be a limiting factor in living well.
https://money.usnews.com/money/reti...st-places-to-retire-abroad-on-1-000-per-month

Of course its not a good idea at all for the majority of Van dwellers, that's not there goal. Sky and I were simply discussing what we would like and its quite possible to live off 700 a month and own land.

That's why you buy dirt that fits your needs, like no rules and no issue living in your RV on your property. In my case as land becomes more and more expensive and things get crazier and crazier a peace of land will be of great benefit to my children and grand children. I think it would be nice to also offer it to van dwellers passing through. If I can pick up 5 acres of land for under 50k my taxes would be ~$200 a year in WV and the only rules i need to follow is having a septic tank if I build a house and don't shoot anyone. Otherwise anything goes in WV.

I was not looking for land when I found mine in Apache County Arizona at that time it was still legal to camp on your land it's still kind of is the rules are really lacks out here and there's a lot of low income people land is very cheap I'm a mile from the Navajo Nation reservation so you can imagine the land is not fabulous.
I do not think that it is wise for low-income van dwellers to buy land because they probably can't afford it and they probably there's a lot that goes on with home ownership luckily my overhead is extremely low and I was able to pay for mine completely if you can pick up a half acre or an acre somewhere but then you can have neighbors there's stuff I have to say I totally enjoy having van dwellers Nomads overlander friends that are passing through to come and stay when I'm here that is a thing and once covid hit and our world changed I did build enough infrastructure so that if I and a few of my close friends had to weather the apocalypse here we probably could stay alive growing food and collecting rainwater and whatever but it's not normal I don't wish this on anybody it's a big responsibility as well and once newer neighbors from cities start buying up the cheap land and moving out thinking they know how to live off grid there's a whole new set of problems that have happened ask me about it sometime

Oh and to address the comment about becoming an expat! I've done that as well it's not cheaper just like living in a van is not cheaper than necessarily living in a house or in section 8 housing the cheaper part is what you choose and how you make life cheaper if you can make life cheaper anywhere then go for it and do whatever floats your boat. What you're going to find in the world is people are not nice to people van dwellers have the same problems with relationships and emotional connections with their van dweller neighbors as people who live in sticks and bricks have with their neighbors they don't like somebody parked too close to him they don't like how they take care of their trash or how loud their dog is barking or what it's all the same problems skip countries go live in another country you think it's going to be cheaper will is it cheaper if you always have to have a $8 coffee from a Starbucks with the Starbucks cup you know every single morning will know it's not cheaper is it cheaper if you go pick your own coffee beans and roast them yes it's cheaper but it takes more time and more energy and do you really want that life. Expats are not good to other expats and there's the whole us's in them's income-wise thing all over the world now the one really important thing that I realized living in another country and I loved it and I love my families from Central America Australia and Canada but I have to say when the s*** hits the fan okay a covid pandemic a apocalyptic type thing happens a big hairy scary something in the world happens people are going to take care of their families first even if I'm an adopted family member their grandchild comes first I'm the outsider I'm getting shoved out in the front of the firing line remember that

Hello Guenter, this is not exactly what I think you want which is hard numbers and facts now in 2021-2022. But thank you for posting the topic which is seldom discussed and somewhat a social taboo since so many want to live beyond their means, outside of this blog. I have noticed that most people I meet both on the road, and not almost always spend in direct relation to how much money they have even including savings. The people I have encountered who live on $700.00 or less seemed to always have ways to hussle more money via crafts and such talents as well as figure out how to use their limited amount of money more wisely. Ya know the ole adage ''too much money and no sense''. In my case it was not enough $ and very low sense until I matured and learned otherwise from those people I mentioned above who had impressively a lot of ''sense''. I find many of those folk in this online community. The key is to find out what is requiring more resource and reduce if not eliminate it. When I was on the road I found I spent a lot more than when I am set up in one place long term. I spent A LOT more on gas, on tech because I would have to have more to navigate places and on other stress related spending, ya know a stimulant drink here a snack there just to do so on the fly. When I am not moving my gas averages $30-50 p/m and no beverages or snacks on the fly and my tech communication goes down to my $11.00 p/m cell phone bill. I am amazed at how much some people here spend on technology and cell phone bills as opposed to food or better quality foods. Oh and my auto insurance averages $20.00 p/m with Geico when I carry the bare bones and $50.00 when I carry the moon/more. It is moving around more that I find costs more period, just common physics I suppose. With hyper inflation destined to keep creeping in, yes it will be very hard to make ends meet so clearly people will have to figure out how to survive as they have already done for quite a long time. Those that I met on the road would set themselves down in Quartzsite AZ for many months and literally lived on a shoestring but seemed happy with that. I myself have to be in nature and so for me when I honor my most top needs, I just am able to be content and even happy and spend less. I am counting the days to when I can get rid of this satellite bill and only am online when I am in wifi surfing range which the library in town has free access and a very nice parking lot whereby nomads frequent. When it comes down to it I am a diy survivalist and have already had those serious moments of thoughts about ''really'' what and how much do I really need what is really important esp. if SHTFan and there is $5-10 + p/g gas, or the entire grid goes down or ??? etc... I ask myself often, "what do I seriously really need to live well each day from the perspective of surviving and thriving self sufficiently as opposed to what as an indoctrinated consumer slave that I ''think'' I need daily?
Oh and the other thing is that I am and was for work a Gardner and I keep increasing how much food I grow and can store as well. LOL I had a business in Calli 2+ decades ago and told my elderly clients that really I was just a frustrated farmer doing Gardening. Now I get to have some of my own dirt and farm my own organic quality edibles. I even had a plan of how I would do that in Quartsite when and if I ever return there. Hope this helps someone ~ Old Native American adage, "know where your water comes from, know where your food comes from..." The more I was in close range to so called civilization and such areas the more I had to spend as well on everything that when set I can provide for myself for cheaper i.e one Berkey water filter and rain water catch cistern and I never buy water again for anything.
This is all good info. Thanks everyone!
Some corrections here: I typed SSI in error. It's simply SS - so, no mental condition.
I do work PT to supplement, but don't want to work anymore as a septuagenarian. Hence, I asked how people get by "comfortably" or "doably" on $700/mo.
I'm fully aware that everyone's lifestyle and circumstances differ - just wanted to have this forum's input to find, let's call it "kindred fellowship" (is there such a phrase?).
Thanks again.

I agree about buying dirt. It gives you an address, that you don't have to fork money over every month, and yes, there are places with no restrictions and low real estate taxes (Arkansas, RE tax $7.17 - a year.)
And you can always hole up in your own "dirt' when things turn too hairy to be on the road.

I was not looking for land when I found mine in Apache County Arizona at that time it was still legal to camp on your land it's still kind of is the rules are really lacks out here and there's a lot of low income people land is very cheap I'm a mile from the Navajo Nation reservation so you can imagine the land is not fabulous.
I do not think that it is wise for low-income van dwellers to buy land because they probably can't afford it and they probably there's a lot that goes on with home ownership luckily my overhead is extremely low and I was able to pay for mine completely if you can pick up a half acre or an acre somewhere but then you can have neighbors there's stuff I have to say I totally enjoy having van dwellers Nomads overlander friends that are passing through to come and stay when I'm here that is a thing and once covid hit and our world changed I did build enough infrastructure so that if I and a few of my close friends had to weather the apocalypse here we probably could stay alive growing food and collecting rainwater and whatever but it's not normal I don't wish this on anybody it's a big responsibility as well and once newer neighbors from cities start buying up the cheap land and moving out thinking they know how to live off grid there's a whole new set of problems that have happened ask me about it sometime
Lesa, there's an old guy who's off grid near St Johns, not too far from WW's where you're at. He's been there for about 15 years and he runs an entertaining blog about his daily life and travails. He's really done a lot though. he started off almost freezing/starving/burning himself to death but he's built a pretty sweet setup and a good set of friends since.

http://joelsgulch.com/
Cheers!

That's fine however there are places. I purchased 1/4 acres in NM and each cost $5.00 pr yr in taxes and have for 20+ yrs. So at $200.00-500. ? a quarter acre some people just might want to know they could fathom doing so. My only regret is that I had not done it sooner when they were only $25.00 a 1/4 acre. Because I thought that it was impossible having been born and raised in California and thought everywhere was un-affordable and full of expensive permits and restrictions.

If you don't have to deal with permits and restrictions on your 1/4 acre in NM, I'm pretty certain it's only because no one cares, and it's way out in the boonies. Not because it's legal. If you want to know, you can look up the state and county codes.

I talk to many nomads who will state (well, actually gripe or complain) that they're living on a "fixed income." Upon further inquiry they "get by" on $2k, have a home base somewhere - or storage with stuff.
How they manage to have no money left at the end of the month is beyond me.
What I would like to know is how you, dear reader, live on, say $700/month. Period.
Not after house/car payment, not "after" whatever.
Let's say you're a healthy senior on original Medicare, with no more than the $700 of SSI (after Part B withholding).
ALL your expenses come out of that amount, yes, food and drink, gas and vehicle insurance/maintenance (van or small RV, paid for), CC and other fees, clothing, everything.
How do you live with any degree of comfort on that?
Right: $700 ain't going to happen. Doesn't take a math genius to do simple addition.
Of course there are variables from month to month. When your nomad, fuel costs go up and down depending how far you move, going for groceries, water and then moving the minimum distance from free spot to free spot. Cell phone and internet.
Wait a minute, Automobile insurance and license. AAAHHH maintenance cost, things like oil changes and tire replacement. Those must be budgeted in as well. Many other things like taxes on property for example or storage.
You're right to cast a fish eye at $700. Ya groceries, how much? Clothes, how much?
But still, if careful, living a nomad life can stretch your dollars by a bunch, say 25 to 45 percent over sticks and bricks. Just ran across a man and wife who pay $1200 a month for lot rent for their class "A" in Florida. (plus utilities)
You are right to question numbers. Do your own math. you will get much closer to true numbers that way.

I am not sure but I think they also put people who are retirement age and just did not make much in their lifetime be it housewife or whatever reasons ? On it as well. I know of two elderly women in my area who subsist on the same amount but I do not know officially if they were deemed mentally challenged as their disclosure was just how little they make work to live on. Yet I know of a nomad who was gainfully employed as Master's level counselor but had horrendous losses during 2008 and ended up living in a van but was getting a lot more than the other's 1 -2 k and said she was on SSDI for and clearly visibly so, mental break down and illness. Just to add to the information as well.
Thanks Sky. I didn't know it was available to anyone 65 or older. At that point, the person would also be eligible for SS retirement and I know a person can get both if their SS retirement is low enough.

Right: $700 ain't going to happen. Doesn't take a math genius to do simple addition.
Of course there are variables from month to month. When your nomad, fuel costs go up and down depending how far you move, going for groceries, water and then moving the minimum distance from free spot to free spot. Cell phone and internet.
Wait a minute, Automobile insurance and license. AAAHHH maintenance cost, things like oil changes and tire replacement. Those must be budgeted in as well. Many other things like taxes on property for example or storage.
You're right to cast a fish eye at $700. Ya groceries, how much? Clothes, how much?
But still, if careful, living a nomad life can stretch your dollars by a bunch, say 25 to 45 percent over sticks and bricks. Just ran across a man and wife who pay $1200 a month for lot rent for their class "A" in Florida. (plus utilities)
You are right to question numbers. Do your own math. you will get much closer to true numbers that way.
I live on my SSI and with the 1st of the year I am now up to $814 per month and do just fine. Before the cost of living raise it was $700 and change so you can't say it can't be done.

Oh it certainly can be done, and no fancy math is required! 😜

Get an old but good condition vehicle, outfit it simply (the fewer gadgets the better) and efficiently, and learn how to keep it running. Move with the seasons so you don't need heat or AC. Park on public land for free. Don't take gratuitous trips. Minimal solar. If internet is too expensive, don't get it; you can still access while in town. If you are poor you get free healthcare now in most states. Buy real food. Clothes? Thriftstores and charities... near zero expense.

If you start with a decent "emergency fund"... maybe $10k or so?... you should be able to easily live on $700/mo forever... if you want.

I talk to many nomads who will state (well, actually gripe or complain) that they're living on a "fixed income." Upon further inquiry they "get by" on $2k, have a home base somewhere - or storage with stuff.
How they manage to have no money left at the end of the month is beyond me.
What I would like to know is how you, dear reader, live on, say $700/month. Period.
Not after house/car payment, not "after" whatever.
Let's say you're a healthy senior on original Medicare, with no more than the $700 of SSI (after Part B withholding).
ALL your expenses come out of that amount, yes, food and drink, gas and vehicle insurance/maintenance (van or small RV, paid for), CC and other fees, clothing, everything.
How do you live with any degree of comfort on that?

I really think folks with a smaller fixed income should look to pairing up with someone in a similar situation and splitting costs, I think that would be much safer than hoping and praying you don't have any breakdowns or unexpected expenses cropping up. And I think this is very doable given a van can easily pull a small cargo trailer which would be used as the other person's living quarters. Ez Pz, just gotta find someone you get along with.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile creating a sub category or channel for this purpose, like a type of "room mates" situation where people amenable to the idea could find each other.

If you don't have to deal with permits and restrictions on your 1/4 acre in NM, I'm pretty certain it's only because no one cares, and it's way out in the boonies. Not because it's legal. If you want to know, you can look up the state and county codes.
I like to post the truth as far as I know it for folks. Yes reality on the ground if you have no neighbors, or have neighbors that believe in live and let live and are not worried about their RE values and you pay attention to the least of the rules and pay your taxes in most places there is little concern. I came here to live in and with nature not people and their preferences such as turning their land into a junkyard which is why I went far out. I am simply stating the facts as I know them for people who may be interested in spite of what the dominant group of full timers prefer just to give more information for people to have all the options to decide what is best for them.

I really think folks with a smaller fixed income should look to pairing up with someone in a similar situation and splitting costs, I think that would be much safer than hoping and praying you don't have any breakdowns or unexpected expenses cropping up. And I think this is very doable given a van can easily pull a small cargo trailer which would be used as the other person's living quarters. Ez Pz, just gotta find someone you get along with.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile creating a sub category or channel for this purpose, like a type of "room mates" situation where people amenable to the idea could find each other.
23Tango hey that is a great idea to create a method in which people can come together in a smaller community based on needs. Exactly why I offered and those of us with land bases can offer safe places to be. I had met a van dweller in 2014 in town who needed a place and offered it to her and enjoyed our annual friendship, snowbirding in Quartzsite until I observed that she was exhibiting high risks behaviors both with alcohol and men she was picking up. That was fine too until she came to visit in 2017 or 18? and had deteriorated further bringing a very unsavory guy with her and had not even asked to bring him. One boundery request, that she not do so in the future and now nada she obviously ended our friendship. BTW Note this was purely non intimate with her as I am paired and not at all interested in any other. Anyways great idea to connect people not just based on income needs but lifestyle preferences as well. Cheers ~

If someone is living on $700 a month, then they qualify for food stamps. That covers their food costs. That leaves monthly costs of cell phone for $50-$75, liability car insurance for $50-75, and gas for $160 (gas is assuming they're not traveling and getting about 18-19 miles to the gallon). That leaves more than enough money for miscellaneous, entertainment, and savings.
I'm in Oregon now and was in California and elsewhere before, and your figures strike me as VERY low. Additionally, I qualified for food stamps a few years back and it was a very tight squeeze, to say the least. In the meantime, prices for a can of beans at Safeway, for another example, tripled. I drive a 2005 Toyota hatchback, with a perfect driving record, and pay far more than you quote, for another instance. I can't help but feel that you are either stretching the truth considerably or are faced with unique circumstances ... or even ones that you aren't even in.

Have you tried living on $185/mo. in food stamps? It can be done, for sure, and even cheaper. But it is not all that easy if you want to eat reasonably fresh and well. A diet of garbage can be had more cheaply, but one even remotely appealing starts to skyrocket the cost quickly, making $6/day with zero indulgences of any kind seem more like a misery or an accomplishment than any kind of reasonable joy of living. Yes, I can(and have done worse) eat oatmeal three times a day for very nominal cost. Is that living? Sure it is. Survival basis. You may be malnourished and develop ailments, but you won't die. At least not right away.

Anyway, I think you are lowballing the figures here. As someone who has been poor most of his life, with some bizarre highlights of other things entirely, your figures don't run true to me.

California and maybe Oregon have high prices on everything. Other places have much lower costs on most things. For example in Minnesota where I am now:
> I pay $596.40/year ($49.7/month) for auto insurance (liability, uninsured motorist, comprehensive).
> Gas is currently $3.199/gallon ($4.648 avg. in California 1/20/22).
> Cell: $25/month (Visible, unlimited data).
> Food: I eat very healthy on $256/month ($8.25/day).