Homeless Man on a Mission

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hibiscus

Reaction score
I decided to be blunt on my subject in order to read myself of my realty and accept it and face whats coming after the 22nd of November, Hotel checkout time. I'm not going to write about how I got into this situation but I am putting myself on a big mission. That mission is saving for a "school bus" or an  "RV" or a "bus." Why these? Because I keep getting haunted to continue my music writing and possibly an autobiography. I say "Possibly" because it very traumatic and sad and vulnerable for triggers but if I can pass those I believe my autobiography could make me very good money but it could also bite me in the... if my SSI/SSDI gets taken away or stopped. I wanted to work park time but after a recent "repo" I was told that that income would surely be going to the "creditors" so why go work? It also has now prevented me from buying land on owner financing. What am I left with? Starting from the ground up and save, save, save all the money I can from my monthly disability income. I hear and have seen many who get online and ask for financial help and even brag about it on their U Tube channels. I'm not a drunk or druggie but just someone who has made many-many mistakes and Iv'e hit rock bottom. I've learned that suicide is not an answer but prayer and holding very-very tight to my income is a way out and a way to renew my life and build myself back up.

Now in my near mid fifties i have been staying at a hotel and frustrated asking for help from family, Housing Dep, SPDAT, and begging for a reply from my "medical case worker" has been a failure. Besides, why return to pay hundreds of dollars to pay rent hundreds in utility bills and be stuck in a box while you slowly rot then die. My remaining years (and I hope they are longer and beyond my expectations) They where called once "case workers" I am not meant to be in a "life in a box" yet for others that may be good or "normal."  

The last time I was offered a place to live was at a homeless shelter and that was through my case worker. Oh, sorry... case workers are now called "medical case worker." I refuse to go to a homeless shelter and deal with the insanity of bullying and severely mentally ill. I've given up on such programs and have a huge dream and desire to convert a bus or an RV into a music recording studio while I use it to live in as well. The price tag for that will be high but well worth it in the end. For now, I've only a few grand saved and enough free food giveaways to keep you fit and healthy. I know my biggest challenge will be finding a place to sleep yet waking up early and brewing my coffee in my small propane stove will be worth waking up to and then going to a park to play my instruments and find some tranquility and peace of mind reading my Bible study books. 

I could go on and on and on but do apologize if this message was too long for you then reading might not be your thing. Perhaps someone who enjoys reading found it enjoyable and wanting more.  Whoever created this website is to be commended because some have no one to talk to and vent. I have been reading lots of threads and found enormous helpful information. 

Signed

The Homeless Man With a Mission

PS I will be trying to upload videos on U tube and keep a log. And if you feel it in your heart to help with this mission then I will set up an address and info on how to help but at later time or simply reply to this message privately. I currently have saved about $2700.00 on my own.  Every month I will be adding $400 to $500 from my own income until I reach enough to afford the main roof, the "Magic Bus." You will know me when you see me because it will be open to all musicians who roam and live free in their "magic vehicles" and all free of charge.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I've deleted a couple of posts. Please read over Bob's Vision Statement

Vision Statement:

Hi, my name is Bob Wells and I’m the owner of the site and forum. I post as “akrvbob”. Let me tell you how this forum came into being. When I was living in my van in Anchorage, Alaska, I woke up one cold fall morning and there was a car parked next to me and through the frosted windows I could make out a mom and her two kids trying to sleep in it. My heart leaped out to her because I knew intimately the kind of despair she was feeling right then. At that moment cheaprvliving.com and this forum took root. It was many more years before it was born into the world and grew into what it is now but it still reaches back to the seed that was planted that day. This is my vision for us:

1) To teach people (especially people in need) how to be reasonably comfortable living in their car, van or RV.
2) To inspire others to follow their dreams and live mobile. We’re specifically oriented towards living cheaply and most often in vans, but all are welcome. Vandwelling is an attitude and not a choice of vehicle or residence.
3) To create a tribal community of like-minded people to support and care for each other.

Spirit of the Law:

Every post should somehow make members's lives better. We are here to be helpful, kind and supportive. If you need help, we want to hear from you. If you have help to offer, we want to hear from you. Sometimes we do that with technical or how-to information; sometimes we do that with a kind word, a good story or even a good laugh. But every post should make someones life better and easier.

If your posts make other members lives harder or unpleasant you are forcing the moderators to make a decision between the whole forum and you. Please understand, we will choose the forum every time!

Letter of the Law:

1) No political discussions. Half of us have opposite political opinions with the other half and we are not going to change each other minds. That means there is nothing to be accomplished by political discussions except anger and frustration and that does nothing to help anyone. Political posts will be deleted.

2) Don’t ever attack, belittle or denigrate anyone. If you have something bad to say about someone, keep it to yourself. This includes politicians, police officers and the homeless. You can hate them if you want, but you don’t get to spread your hate here.

3) Don’t judge other member’s posts or opinions. It’s perfectly fine to disagree or offer a counter point of view, but never in a negative way. An attitude of “I’m right and know more than you!” creates an unacceptable negative atmosphere. I’ve had people tell me they were afraid to post here because they were afraid someone would mock or belittle them. Any posts like that will be deleted.

4) Don’t be a know-it-all or dismissive of others. We’re family and we’re here to help and support each other. So before you hit the “Send” button, ask yourself if what you are writing is helpful and supportive or is it to make you feel better about yourself. Are you just trying to prove you’re smarter than everyone else and you’re right and their wrong? That turns into fighting and bickering over nothing and that makes this an unpleasant place for people who come here in need.

5) Don't waste space and be brief. Often people come here in desperate situations and they only have online access through a library computer or their cell phone. They need help, and they need it now, but if they find the forum full of wasted space, they can’t get to the information they desperately need. The majority of vandwellers have a limited amount of data each month and we don’t want to waste it.

Here are some ways you can help them:

* Don’t waste space with needless quotes. 1) Please don't quote the post directly above yours. After all, it's right there! 2) Please trim your quotes. Don't quote an entire post or even whole paragraphs to respond to a sentence or two. 3) Edit the quoted text down to only the point or points you need to provide context to your reply. 4) Please avoid including picture links from previous posts when quoting. Pictures are slow to load for many of our mobile users. 5) If you simply want to be clear about who you are responding to, use '@ username' at the beginning of your post instead of quoting.
* Don’t import large photos.
* Make your point as briefly as you can. Chances are that long meandering posts won’t get read anyway.

I'm glad you're here, together we can change peoples lives!
Bob

Can't let this one go by. OP, you owe no one an apology. Sometimes putting down what you're dealing with gives others a chance to see a similarity in their life. The responses can help many more than you and you are the catalyst for that. You are already doing positive things with the place you find yourself. What you are describing for your future sounds healthy and positive. Folks dealing with what you are need that kind of inspiration. You are saving and working towards your goals. keep your eye clear and on the prize, it may come sooner than you expect. Music is a great uniter, I don't have to tell you that. You are so right, suicide is not an answer. Some of the places you have reached out to sound like they have failed you. Yet you still have a plan and a course, I don't hear any quit in you. I think you may be much more powerful a force in your life than you recognize. Believe that I and many, many others here are listening and pulling for you. Stay positive and keep trying. Ernest Hemingway said " The world breaks everyone and afterwards some are strong at the broken places."

@owl "Bird of Pray." I constantly keep seeing this crazy image of me driving up to "The Slabs" and greeting the person who built "The Range" then discuss working on putting together a line up of the best local performers and those driving to perform. It literally will be a live promoted concert. Lot's of planning though! Wow! What a great day that will be. J[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ust hope everyone grooves and behaves[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif].[/font]

It'll be a long climb but determined to get back to the garden, music. I must [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]literally [/font]first sleep in a little tent somewhere and pay my final dues. The build requires techs and wiring geeks as this will not be a simple 2 channel interface with a laptop setup. 

Thank you for the encouragement and beautiful words.

Good luck, tough being on disability and constrained by that income and other things. It's a trap and fortunately, you can get a vehicle to live in and live the dream.

@pnwnative Support and motivation is very important right now. How long can you really park out in the desert and not get harassed? Not one to enjoy hours of driving either. I would not fear the desert if I could remove this phobia of scorpions, tarantulas, and gila monsters, or snakes nesting inside a compartment. An option is buying land after the bus. If I could find a parking spot closer to a city and not have to pay over 400 bucks monthly then I'd do it but not at an RV/trailer park. Been considering finding a rehearsal room in Los Angeles and negotiating a parking deal on their lot.

Marvin said:
Carry on, my wayward son :angel:
@Marvin
Kansas musicianship was and is a huge influence but they lost my interest after they got into those pop keyboard intro's. That dark gloomy power sound got lost somewhere in the 80's taking them downward. I saw em live several times before they got lost in that bubble gum pop sound change and was happy they only performed one or two of those ugly bubbled pop songs.

" if I could remove this phobia of scorpions, tarantulas, and gila monsters, or snakes nesting inside a compartment"

that's easy get to know what you are afraid of,

Scorpions, very few species in the US you need to worry about. however never put your hands where you can't see. there is really no way for them to get inside you rig unless you bring the desert in with you, without checking it first of course. if you sleep outside shake your boots off before you put them on.

Tarantulas, they look 100% scarier than they are they are. actually quite docile and if you happened to get stung they are not deadly. also they eat scorpions so let them be.

Gila Monster, none in California. mainly in Arizona and Sonora Mexico. they are a slow moving rather large lizard. don't stick your finger in it's mouth and you will be fine.

Snakes in the desert the snake you need to worry about are rattlesnakes the 3 main desert rattlers are sidewinders, diamond backs, and Mohave greens. of the three the greens are the most dangerous and beautiful. you got to remember snakes are not out to get you and will retreat unless cornered. again never place your hands and feet where you can't see. if you follow that rule you will never get bit.

on a side note I have been traveling the desert since the mid 60's. I have only seen about 5 sidewinders and 3 Mojave greens. now I have encountered many, many diamondbacks but like I said all snakes want nothing to do with you and would rather run than fight, give them an exit and they will take it.

highdesertranger

I'm pretty sure SSI/SSDI can't be garnished so you don't have to worry about that much.