How do u live on $700/month, truly?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big problem I see is there is a lot of things you could do now to make it better for yourself when you can no longer live as you are now and believe things won’t have to change much to continue living as you are! If you don’t actively work at doing better now it will be much harder later. As I have described previously I am living on around $700 a month expenses because I work seasonally, don’t travel during the season, pay $50 a month for a full hookup lot, eat big meals (I’m gaining about a pound a week!) once or twice day as there is plenty of leftovers for $5 a meal at the employee dining area and getting up to a 30% discount on everything else including gasoline. With my Social Security and most of my pay checks going into savings to live off the months I don’t work. Everybody is worried about gasoline prices, my electric bike which I charge for free has caused me to have to put stabilizer in my vehicles because I use them so little! Yes it will cost more when I travel this fall but I am making more now than I ever have and will simply travel less or work (easy work like shuttle driver or front desk) the winter season after 2 or 3 months of travel. As stated in another thread there is a difference between a Hobo and a Bum. Just because you are cheaply living a nomadic life doesn’t mean you can’t do an easy simple seasonal job to make living this life even more cheaply but you need to be constantly looking and willing to change your plans. People need to realize having less than $700 in expenses is not the same as only having $700 income.

I thought about the original question, how do / how would you live on $700 a month, and decided I was coming at it wrong. I have a relatively privileged life in which I live on quite a lot more than that, and I had started where I was, by saying "what could I cut out, or change to be cheaper."

It was much more humbling and actually showed me the potential for a decent life living on a very low income when I started at the other end.

So ... if I were a person on the street, naked and with nothing but some charity clothes on my back, what would my deepest needs be, and how would I meet them. Clean water. Enough calories to keep me going. Enough shelter - personal or "borrowed" - to keep me within functional temperatures, and dry. Society would punish or reject me if I didn't properly dispose of my bodily wastes, or I became so dirty and smelly that I was intolerable. I built up from there, considering people's lives who actually live at this level. What's essential, what makes it better, what's the next reasonable thing to seek. I need a way to keep my things with me and safe. My eyesight is terrible, I could not survive without glasses, which would need occasional replacement. I'd want a sturdy reliable pair of shoes. I would feel very unsafe without some sort of structured shelter, even a tent would give me some sense of protection and privacy.

I also considered Peace Pilgrim, and Rob Greenfield, both of whom live(d) on little or nothing and use(d) their social capital and skills to barter for what they needed.

Building this sort of life from scratch is Really extreme, and Really difficult. And perhaps, more satisfying than anything a boilerplate life could ever offer.

Just ETA, the point of this for this forum was that by the time I got around to "own a locking vehicle I can sleep in", I was bowled over by the luxury of that, how many boxes got checked in a single swoop.

Last edited:
How Would I live on $700 a Month SSI?

SSI only allows you to earn up to $20 per month so I'd not be able to work really. Or risk loosing it.

I would certainly do these steps first

1. Sign up for SNAP (Food stamps) With their deductions, that low monthly SSSI amount, + our small Property tax payment, I would qualify for the max amount of $250 a month in Food Stamps.

2. I would plan to get someone in an RV to live on my Property. They'd receive internet, endless water, and use of the outdoor kitchen & outdoor shower for $110 a month (cash under the table).

3. I would probably visit the Food Bank but would visit anyhow... only because this town gets the County Food Bank leftovers only. So most of the time it's the same items but in major abundance!!! So much it more than feeds the town and it's so much it would be thrown away, usually, not always. The entire town is off-grid so currently, all non-refrigerated items leftover are dropped off outside the only commercial building in town since this is their last stop. They do not want to bring anything home. During COVID, there was barely any items and once there was almost none so they didn't show up. The town gets last dibs only. Sometimes there is SO MUCH of a certain item you can easily predict it and make meals accordingly. Due to this resource, I would do both #4 & #5 below. I would also do canning

4. I would host a weekly Game Night & Potluck every Friday except taking some breaks for Xmas and the Summer Months. 50% of the time,I'd be making garlic mashed potatoes or whatever the food bank had an abundance of- some kind of Soup such as vegetable, Split Pea, etc.. so food would come from that resource. I would advertise it as a free community event in the local paper and place flyers about town. I have NO DOUBT at least 5 people would attend. Likely it would be about 10 people each Friday but maybe more. Someone who used to do this in our town (where we would be living) and it was successful. They had about 14-17 people each week. The FOOD BANK visits the 1st & 3rd Friday so to host this on Fridays is perfect.

5. Pick Blackberrires by the river, freeze them.

I would I always make garlic mashed potatoes on weeks we had no food bank because my potatoes are free, I grow them and it's just $1 for butter, garlic, salt and pepper. They are very tasty, amazing, compared to store bought.

5. I would try to have a weekly bible study with a 1x a month Potluck. I would provide a dish filled with whatever was leftover in abundance from the food bank

6. I would grow my own potatoes as I do now for almost free. $20 initial investment for seed potatoes which keep going. I add wood ashes to it to keep the PH at bay.

7. I would use Medicaid's Ride share, however that works. There is a very poor lady in a nearby town who does this part time, driving a lady who lies in the town to her appointments. She is happy to allow you to grocery shop after your Dr. Visit. (she will grocery shop too). Anytime I don't have to use my car, and only having $700 a month income (or $800 with a Tenant) I would try not to use my own car.

8. I would continue riding my Mtn Bike to to stay in shape and ward off disease.

9. I would use Solar Power + batteries to run the house. Just as we do now (no electricity bill, only about $15 a month during winter.

10. Have lumber chopped so I have it to supplement keeping the house warm enough. I am very cold blooded so go most of the winter not lighting a fire and remain comfortable

Last edited:
I think $700 a month is do-able you have an inexpensive home base, Land can be pretty in-expensive but it's probably best to have it be located in a remote area where you can build a tiny home under heavy tree cover to live in part of the year. Also ensure the land is very cheap with a year round water source. There are possible pitfalls to be aware of though-

We bought 19 acres in Northern Calif 8 years ago for $51K. It's in a town which is entirely off the grid.
We built a 700 sq foot Un-permitted home on it....which is only 75% completed...until we ran out of $.
It is legal but no foundation.
About 15-20K more would complete the build. Sadly someone turned us in to the County and now they want to deem it a house. So beware of this risk. No way can we afford all those Calif building code regulations such as adding an entire home sprinkler system. It must be a garage in the counties eyes.. We won't live there but 5 months out of the year, eventually.
We call it a garage, It's 700 sq feet
It's in an OFF GRID town with no electric or water company. It also has a deck making it appear as a house+ a loft and high ceilings. 1 bedroom/extra room. .
Town has landlines & Fibre Optic internet which is fantastic
2-3 artesian springs can pipe water into the house These didn't go dry, even during California droughts. It's important to have water access somehow, collect rainwater, divert springs, a well, etc.

I lost my job during COVID. In 2 months, I start a new job- $21 per hr/averages 30 hrs a wk. I'll work for 5 yrs until DH applies for his Social Security at age 67 claiming $1525-$1550 a month. i will be 59 and a half at that time. Next 2.5 yrs, if healthy enough, we will work his business together earning about $1500 a month combined. It is labor intensive and with his heart issues, dI on't want to work too much.

At 62, I will sign up for my SS for $600-$650 a month. We will go into retirement mode at that point because I don't think I'll have much time with him. DH uses a BPAP Machine at night for breathing. His palms sometimes turn blue for a day or half day. not lately though. He is just 61. If he dies before age. As long as he can hang on until age 70, I have taken my SS at $600-$650 a month. I can survive on that if I sign up for Food Stamps getting $200 a month (if I cannot work due to depression). $600 is a lot of money so just working 20 hrs a week at min wage could get me by until age 67 when Id get his Social Security amount.

I'd like to remain within 1.5 hrs or so from my son's home at all times so I can check on him. or he can come for dinner 1x a wk. He has schizophrenia and lives independently. I could be gone longer but don't prefer it. If/when hubby passes first, I'd hopefully marry a Christian who likes to attend church at least 1/2 the time + bible study during the boring winters+ likes to cycle (e-bike okay) & RV part of the year and lives simply.

Last edited:
A lot of people who winter in the long term visitor area in Quartzsite live on less than 700 a month. Some of them even stay on at the cheap RV parks for the summer. Those parks are $200 a month plus electric in the off season, no snobbery about the age of your RV, car, van, tent, etc. . There is a food bank in Quartzsite and they are not income restricted. Anyone with any income level can get food there. In the winter there are a number of deep discount food stores selling expired or dented cans, overstock and such.

If you are willing and able to work there are plenty of seasonal, part time, jobs in town including paid camp hosting at some of the BLM areas.

It can be done... there is no doubt about that. Whether a particular person can do it and be happy is the more complicated question.
agree with that and a biggie is who is that person? not many can go there or wanna and can truly handle that I would guess.

in today's economy as everyone is seeing right now, one's 700 WILL NOT go far at all so? heads up all, the next posts will be can anyone truly survive on 1k and most will say probably not once we settle into our higher costs for our entire life services/purchases.

big have and have not changes coming thru the almighty spending power of your dollar in everyone's lives. That bit of maintenance repair issues that was say around and known priced at about 250 will be 450 soon. We all see this and have already experienced it!! We ALL have gotten hit and see it. One can only be so frugal in life til the dollars run out and one is in true need, and yea, tons more of that is gonna happen sooner than later also. Already had big needs for many, what is next is gonna be tougher for sure.

Last edited:
Tuff gig, very tuff! that's what? 23 or so dollar a day budget? Have to learn to play guitar and busk on street corners next to a soup kitchen or something! I couldn't do it without a hustle of some sort!

I lived on less than half of $700/mo from 1990 to 2003, with zero subsidies. General inflation has nearly doubled since then, but the price of gas and vehicles has gotten pretty insane lately. So it would be tight currently.

But... if that is your income, you are way below the poverty line (which is ~$14k/yr) which means you qualify for free healthcare (the really free kind, not free insurance with a high deductible), and food stamps in most states. You may qualify for cash payments as well in particularly beneficial states. So... ya, it can be done, if you actually want to. Where there is a will, there's a way...

Some people here are on social security. Have you noticed that the 2022 SS COLA (to take effect with 2023 benefit payments) may be lower than expected because Q3 (July, August & September) inflation seems to be "magically" lower than Q2 inflation and the cola is based on Q3 inflation? It just seems odd. People pay the higher Q2 prices and then get a smaller SS benefit increase. Of course, gasoline might go higher in Q4.

What would I do to live on $700 a month? Try to save up for a Mining Claim here in California which is adjacent a river. Park my car or RV on there and live there forever. They do not kick you off. Buy 1-2 solar panels and a battery for power.

If you have severe breathing issues, get a sleep study done. Here in California, due to the wildfires, if you are on a CPAP or BPAP sleep assist machine, PG&E will give you a free battery. We have a Yetti2000 or Yetti3000, I forgot and am too lazy to walk downstairs to see it. IT can run most everything in the house with our solar panels, not just his breathing assist machine.

I would visit a food bank. Or volunteer at one and take any left-overs home. Especially if you have a dog because they toss out a ton of eggs in our area which are ready to expire. Law is all Grocery stores must donate ALL FOOD to food banks now. So food ready to expire is in abundance. You can make your own home made pet food this way.

Another thing I would do is sign up for food stamps. Some of our farmers markets will double $10 for you making it $20 a week you can spend at the Market. I suppose if more than one is doing it you could drive from town to town. Same thing regarding food banks. The emergency drive thru food banks here only ask you for a zip code so you could give them a local zip code. If you go in, you may be asked for ID I don't know.

Some churches have potlucks so you could visit them on potluck days.

I would probably live in a van either boon-docking or on a mining claim. I just saw one for $5500 in the town of Le Porte California on EBAY but it's way out in BFE so you'd be driving way too far for food, medical care, etc. So I'd do research trying to buy a mining claim somewhere not too far from a few food banks.

Driving 5 hrs costs $70 for me..so on my social security of 850, I can't go anywhere. Too much in fuel. I moved into the cheapest safe apartment..tiny studio. All utilities included. $750. Nothing left. I do get food stamps and Medicaid.

I found when van living can't live in the desert. Weather too extreme, cold in the north.

Driving 5 hrs costs $70 for me..so on my social security of 850, I can't go anywhere. Too much in fuel. I moved into the cheapest safe apartment..tiny studio. All utilities included. $750. Nothing left. I do get food stamps and Medicaid.

I found when van living can't live in the desert. Weather too extreme, cold in the north.
yes you are living a real life what it takes for you but super happy you found this apt. to suit you for a roof over your head. times rough out there for all. wishing you only the best forward.

This poster is telling like it is.....on the road, wanna be there but can't, when one is taken off the road and lose control of their travels and expenses thru natural life instances that are so personal?

so so so many gray areas for each of us here. there is no right or wrong answer in our timeline of life and our personal journey.

good post EG!

I have live in a low income situation most of my adult life. For the last 7 years I have had a job that allows me to have a modest vacation once a year and the opportunity to eat out once or twice a month with friends. Before that I had a job that covered cost of living for 5 years but no vacation money and might eat out with friends once a month. When I was on food stamps I did not buy processed or heat and serve foods because it was cheaper to put in the work to make a meal from scratch.
Living frugally has allowed me to be able to buy a home during the time of the crash. It is almost paid off. I am considering renting it out and living in a used moving truck because I could get approximately 3times my mortgage payment as rent. Plus I don’t really fully use the space and I would like to see a family in here.
Will I be able to do this on $700/mth? I don’t know. Maybe with stealth camping. I would love to be able to travel and see the country I have lived in all my life but seen so little of.

Jan. 2022 original post.

Is that 700 going as far now? even in this short of a time change in that prices are frickin' skyrocketing....who does not feel it and see it and worse to come will come as we all know, nothing goes down, only up except our 'fixed incomes'...........and of course many think 'home base' but the real factor and what this site is about kinda is ON THE ROAD living on that money so?

so off track and off topic in a way :) but of course anyone with other options like paid for home base, some land to do ??, some side jobs they work? and more we end up talking SO MANY diff. scenarios the thread becomes useless in a way being so off the original post and $ chat....weee....
Since my Original Post a short 8+ months ago (and I have read all the many, many posts since) much has changed here and worldwide.
It almost would seem unreasonable to post that question today. It's just so sad to see a trajectory spiraling out of proportions.
The people who need to survive on $700/month are not to be envied. Thanks for all the input - everyone!

I talk to many nomads who will state (well, actually gripe or complain) that they're living on a "fixed income." Upon further inquiry they "get by" on $2k, have a home base somewhere - or storage with stuff.
How they manage to have no money left at the end of the month is beyond me.
What I would like to know is how you, dear reader, live on, say $700/month. Period.
Not after house/car payment, not "after" whatever.
Let's say you're a healthy senior on original Medicare, with no more than the $700 of SSI (after Part B withholding).
ALL your expenses come out of that amount, yes, food and drink, gas and vehicle insurance/maintenance (van or small RV, paid for), CC and other fees, clothing, everything.
How do you live with any degree of comfort on that?
Same here friend. $700 and change BEFORE they take out Medicare! It’s not possible to live on it. Can’t even survive on it.

I have live in a low income situation most of my adult life. For the last 7 years I have had a job that allows me to have a modest vacation once a year and the opportunity to eat out once or twice a month with friends. Before that I had a job that covered cost of living for 5 years but no vacation money and might eat out with friends once a month. When I was on food stamps I did not buy processed or heat and serve foods because it was cheaper to put in the work to make a meal from scratch.
Living frugally has allowed me to be able to buy a home during the time of the crash. It is almost paid off. I am considering renting it out and living in a used moving truck because I could get approximately 3times my mortgage payment as rent. Plus I don’t really fully use the space and I would like to see a family in here.
Will I be able to do this on $700/mth? I don’t know. Maybe with stealth camping. I would love to be able to travel and see the country I have lived in all my life but seen so little of.
Wonderful frugal approach. A lot of people can't do what you've done, but I bet a lot of people can do it but haven't fully considered or planned for it. I hope more people can put themselves in your position, tough as it is. Because of course it gets much tougher. Best wishes to you, and your plan and all its sacrifices, indeed.

If you don’t have an healthy savings and emergency fund you need to get into a situation where you can save one up such as by living simply, doing a seasonal job or diversification of what you have. Supporting organizations like this one, care centers like Escapees run ( they will basically give you a site and a meal maybe even ice cream for volunteering ) and changes in government programs to solve medical, mental health and our society’s problems by keeping informed and involved for those times when disasters occur hopefully will get you by. Developing supportive community and friendships by helping others can make for a rewarding and wonderful life, it’s just a lot of work! Lol!!!

Can we get back on the topic of living on $700 a month now?

I could live on $700 a month if that's all the income I had. But many would not fair so well.