Help: Rear Door latch on 1989 Ford Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding info or parts on the locking/latching mechanisms on my 1989 Ford Econoline. The latch (if that's what it's called) on the bottom of the passenger-side rear door is stuck and the door won't close. It's gotten stuck before I and removed the door panel and latch to get it fixed. I feel like I should replace it so this doesn't happen again (like when it's raining).

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding this part or a technical schematic of the locking/latching mechanisms? Anyone have a similar Ford van?

Thanks!

Dude....one word

JUNKYARDS!!!

Junkyards are full of these older Ford vans, and you'll be able to pick-and-pull one for probably under $10.

or...have you taken your's apart and cleaned and relubed it?? It's probably just gummed up with old gunk and sticking, or simply rusted. I believe there's two skrews that hold the base plate that skrew in from the bottom, and then there's a pin that has a cotter key that connects the flat bar that comes down from the door lever to lift the latch to open the door. It's actually quite simple.

Has the door ever been hit hard?? Could be that it's binding and not sitting square like it should be too.

Having the doors go bad on vans (and pickups) is very common. All the doors on my Chevy Express are balky and the back door just went south entirely.

I went through this also on my Ford F150 and I replaced the mechanism. It was all messed up again within a year. I think the replacement parts are no where near as good as the original so they just don't hold up.

I agree with Patrick, go to a junk yard and find replacement parts or even a whole new door. Be a lot cheaper and last a lot longer.
Bob

I posted this some place along this forum. I don't know if this is your problem, but it may help someone.
I have had this problem on many doors. The latching part trips to the closed position before the door is closed. Then the door latch seems broken. Push the button or lever and use your finger to return the latch jaw to open position.
OK I just reread. The bottom latch has a spring to push it down and is connected to the handle with a rod to pull it up for open. Have you tried lots of lubricant and penetrating oil to relieve the friction?
If that not the problem,, I agree get a complete door from a front end wreck.

FYI, I removed the lock/latch and cleaned it up and lubed it. After I reinstalled it worked fine. It's holding the door closed and locked very tight.

Guess I got lucky. :)

The people at my local junk yard know me by name...

Yep. Rows upon rows of vans at the JY.

I find that even if I don't know the ins and outs of a particular component, I can afford to tinker with it on a junker in a yard before I mess with my own vehicle.

Latest posts