Upgrade door locks on my 1985 Chevy G30?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 38027

Reaction score
Hello, everyone :) I have picked up an old van from a previous roommate who had to leave in a hurry. Unfortunately they were targeted often and had the van broken in multiple times. So all of the locks are not working well anymore. It's very difficult to use the keys with it, currently the side sliding door can be opened with some effort and the key works fine for the ignition. Now that the van is in my hand, I'm not moving in until I have had a chance to replace the locks. All the locks I could find for the van seem to be of the same style rather than something newer and more secure. I'm willing to make the effort to install it and whatnot. So I'm just wondering how would I go about upgrading all of the locks? I'm also wanting to add the thunderbolt lock system or something similar to it.

Any inputs would very much be appreciated! Thank you!

In my opinion locks can’t keep out a determined thief. It’s more about opportunity and risk that the thief considers when deciding to break into your van. Where you park will be more important than how you secure it. Many times more damage will be done breaking in than the value of what is stolen. A van that appears empty or unlikely to have anything valuable in it is less likely to be broken into in many cases. Old vans are easier to steal so a hidden disable switch or battery power cut off switch will most times prevent that. Motion lights where they draw attention are good cheap insurance. Even signs someone may be in the van like dog water bowls or large size work boots setting out side or in view help. A simple bar and a couple handles on the back doors along with the factory locks can prevent their use same with most side doors. Securing front doors with more than easily opened factory locks just gets the window broken in many cases, Again a good motion sensor alarm is probably more protection against items being stolen as well as keeping those items out of view. Just my opinions. When traveling groups work best until you learn to pay attention to your senses and develop your sense of situational awareness.

In my opinion locks can’t keep out a determined thief. It’s more about opportunity and risk that the thief considers when deciding to break into your van. Where you park will be more important than how you secure it. Many times more damage will be done breaking in than the value of what is stolen. A van that appears empty or unlikely to have anything valuable in it is less likely to be broken into in many cases. Old vans are easier to steal so a hidden disable switch or battery power cut off switch will most times prevent that. Motion lights where they draw attention are good cheap insurance. Even signs someone may be in the van like dog water bowls or large size work boots setting out side or in view help. A simple bar and a couple handles on the back doors along with the factory locks can prevent their use same with most side doors. Securing front doors with more than easily opened factory locks just gets the window broken in many cases, Again a good motion sensor alarm is probably more protection against items being stolen as well as keeping those items out of view. Just my opinions. When traveling groups work best until you learn to pay attention to your senses and develop your sense of situational awareness.

I'm completely aware of all this... The locks are still broken anyway and I figured this would be a good opportunity to replace them with something nicer. As it is, I can't enter via the front doors. The back doors and side sliding doesn't lock at all. I thought I've made it clear that I will not be stopping at this one thing. I will be working on adding multiple security features to this van. Lights, camera, etc...

So yeah, I still need recommendations for replacement door lock that's a bit better than the base 1985 locks for the van.

Actually; while ur fixin the lox; sounds to me like you need a new neighborhood to hang out in……..

sayin
intjonny

That's how I got to know the previous owner. They moved out of the area into the cooperative I was living at elsewhere. I've since then moved again so yeah, I'm nowhere in the area. Still need to get the locks replaced anyway and wanting to see what sort of upgrades I could do with this part of it.

Thank y'all

If you want to get really fancy you can have the outside door handles disconnected or removed and have installed remote controlled electric door openers that can be disabled by a simple hidden or keyed master power switch. Any custom hotrod shop should be able to make the modification.

Can I have an actual part recommendations please? I still need to get all of these broken locks replaced anyway

Can I have an actual part recommendations please? I still need to get all of these broken locks replaced anyway
Just to be clear, what you are asking for is recommendations for drop-in replacements for the OEM lock cylinders, but having demonstrably higher security than the commonly available and relatively inexpensive OEM-quality parts?

Just to be clear, what you are asking for is recommendations for drop-in replacements for the OEM lock cylinders, but having demonstrably higher security than the commonly available and relatively inexpensive OEM-quality parts?
I'm HOPING that there is such an option. But if there is not, then I will go with the regular replacement ones and figure out the rest of my security later on. Like I said, I still need to replace them no matter what.

I'm HOPING that there is such an option. But if there is not, then I will go with the regular replacement ones and figure out the rest of my security later on. Like I said, I still need to replace them no matter what.

I believe that was SACASAM ....................

I checked RockAuto (online) and they still list lock cylinders and some additional parts ...............

The Real problem EVERYTHING is almost 40 yrs old.........the latch mechanism is worn and tired and sloppy ........plastic links and keepers are brittle.....parts are not available

And access is limited.....it's all hidden away inside the door..........it's tough...........you need Houdini

You usually need to find a "Donor" vehicle for replacement parts

You might find that some of the parts may be the same as pickup trucks of the same era. Although expensive LMCTRUCK.com at (800) 562-8782 may be able to help.

Viro makes a good one mul-t-lock also makes a similar one. There are other similar but not as sturdy.
These also work on the sliding doors of vans too.

Here's a very good lock that I have and has a keyed exterior and a cable to unlock from the inside.
https://www.viro.it/en-gb/hardware/padlocks/van-lock-fastening-unit-for-truck-and-vans
Here is another similar to or the same as the thunderbolt.
I had a similar lock and found that older vehicles that may not have a "tight" clearances it can be difficult to lock unlock as there's very little wiggle room: https://vehiclesecurityinnovators.c...ombo-kit-side-slide-door-and-rear-swing-door/

A style I do not recommend is the puck lock style. If you don't lock it, anyone else can with their own lock and either lock you in or lock you out.

Here is one to reinforce existing locks:
https://www.amazon.com/Jimmi-Jammer-Protection-Silverado-Avalanche/dp/B008D7P9U8

Last edited: