How can I secure my van's doors against someone breaking a window to reach in and opening the door?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. Each of my van's doors can be easily unlocked if someone breaks a window glass with a stone and reaches in to raise the door's lock lever below that window.

Image 1.jpg
How about I put one of these at the bottom of each door on the inside, but out of sight? These can be unlocked with the flick of my finger.

Image 4.jpg
And this hasp would go at the bottom of the driver's door on the outside, allowing me to get in with a key.

Image 3.jpg
With the above hasp on the driver's door, I could use this high-security padlock on the hasp, which has unpickable keys and is designed to prevent sawing, cutting, or hammer strokes.

But this is just what I could figure out myself. If you have a better idea, please let me know. I'm taking some time to find the best answer before I start.

Those interior latches are not very strong but would slow someone down if you're just looking for some extra time when you're in the van. If you're thinking of having the lockable hasp on the outside of your drivers door, I would advise against it as someone could lock you in. Here's what I'd suggest:
https://www.mul-t-lock.com/us/en/products/mul-t-lock-vehicle-protection/armadlock or https://www.viro.it/en-gb/hardware/padlocks/van-lock-fastening-unit-for-truck-and-vans or https://danasafetysupply.com/tufloc...MI0_ep-abF-QIVCBhMCh3PVA5gEAQYBSABEgKRqfD_BwE. These can't be locked without a key.
Not inexpensive but very secure. The Viro lock has an interior cable that you can use to unlock from the inside.
There are a few other brands and styles but I think these three are the best.

Hey you can secure your doors by using a light duty cam-buckle cargo strap, the kind with a hook at each end. Just pass the straps thru the door handles (assuming they have an opening thru the handle) and then attach the hooks to each other. A long one might reach all the way and back or you can use two of the shorter ones.

Dark colors work best, they are a bit harder to see if someone is looking in thru the glass.

I don't recommend you use the ratchet type, they can be a bit a of a pain to deal with and you might apply too much tension and break a door handle. Use the cam-buckle style.

These will only slow down a determined intruder. Someone determined enough to break your windows will not be sent home by simple nylon straps but it will slow them down a bit.

1660445922515.png

Last edited:
Before going out on the road most people are very scared of break-ins. In 2 years of full time dispersed camping a break in has never even been attempted.

Better than locks is traveling with a group of friends. Other people around is your best security. urban boon docking is riskier for break-ins than dispersed camping.

Those interior latches are not very strong but would slow someone down if you're just looking for some extra time when you're in the van. If you're thinking of having the lockable hasp on the outside of your drivers door, I would advise against it as someone could lock you in. Here's what I'd suggest:
https://www.mul-t-lock.com/us/en/products/mul-t-lock-vehicle-protection/armadlock or https://www.viro.it/en-gb/hardware/padlocks/van-lock-fastening-unit-for-truck-and-vans or https://danasafetysupply.com/tufloc...MI0_ep-abF-QIVCBhMCh3PVA5gEAQYBSABEgKRqfD_BwE. These can't be locked without a key.
Not inexpensive but very secure. The Viro lock has an interior cable that you can use to unlock from the inside.
Thank you! These are so much better than what I came up with.
And I really like Viro's idea of being able to pull a cord from inside to unlock the door.

Before going out on the road most people are very scared of break-ins. In 2 years of full time dispersed camping a break in has never even been attempted.

It feels good to know you've never had a problem. I've had my van in the city over two years, in a bad neighborhood, and also have not had any breaking attempts, I'm happy to say.

I think my van is the perfect vintage and condition: If newer, it might make someone think I'm rich and would have something valuable inside. And, the fact I keep it looking nice with paint, and other external repairs, makes it seem like "just another vehicle" that no one really notices.

You're right about them not being "inexpensive". All three cost more than $200. *Yikes!* But looking them up on Amazon led me to a far better design choice than what I'd listed in my first comment above. It led me to locks that are actually intended for use on a van, as shown below.

Image 5.jpg
This one only costs $42.81, looks great, and mounts very securely to the door and frame. So I think I'll purchase it for the driver's door, to prevent the door from being opened even if someone can reach in through the window.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[tx2 Mod Edit] Cosmick has asked that we update this information to reflect a better quality alternative lock mentioned later in the thread, but retroactively updated here.

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/...and-opening-the-door.46874/page-3#post-578599
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B6WYF3P?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&tag=forumyield-20
[end of mod edit]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by a moderator:
That one is a much better choice than your first two however if you're inside the van and haven't locked these yourself, someone could lock you in. Even if they don't have the specific "puck lock" shown, there are two loops that this lock joins together and a padlock could be used. Assuming your locking three doors you could lock two from the outside and then when you're inside you can roll down a window and lock theist one yourself, but it would be difficult to get out in a hurry if you needed to. Thats why I like the other locks as no-one can "accidentally" lock you in.

That one is a much better choice than your first two however if you're inside the van and haven't locked these yourself, someone could lock you in. Even if they don't have the specific "puck lock" shown, there are two loops that this lock joins together and a padlock could be used. Assuming your locking three doors you could lock two from the outside and then when you're inside you can roll down a window and lock theist one yourself, but it would be difficult to get out in a hurry if you needed to. Thats why I like the other locks as no-one can "accidentally" lock you in.
Make sure you are able to get out quickly in case of emergency.
You don't want to be fumbling around with keys while breathing in smoke.
You guys are taking care of me as though I'm your child. Ha ha! 🙃

I still plan to secure each of my other three doors with one of these on each, hidden from view down at the floor:

Image 1-b.jpg
These won't need a lock or a key since they will be on the inside. And just a flick of my finger will release the door in case of an emergency, or any other time I want out.

But obviously, I need one door with a key lock instead. That's why I'll put the above lock on the Drives door, and on that door only.

You're right about my needing to keep some mischievous person from putting their own padlock on my door! I'll look into how best to solve that problem when I have the lock and can see exactly how to use it.

Last edited:
When I think of these things, I think it's more about making you "feel" more secure. Locks were never designed to really keep people out...they are more about being a deterant. If someone wants in your vehicle, they will assess the situation and either get in or move on. If they really want in, they will get in. If they are willing to break a window, and not be afraid of alerting anyone, they can get in.

When I think of these things, I think it's more about making you "feel" more secure. Locks were never designed to really keep people out...they are more about being a deterant. If someone wants in your vehicle, they will assess the situation and either get in or move on. If they really want in, they will get in. If they are willing to break a window, and not be afraid of alerting anyone, they can get in.
You are totally correct, Tony. I'm only seeking the best deterrent. If someone REALLY wants into my van, proper use of a locksmith's comb pick on the driver's door will do the trick. And if it's only a rock-throwing window buster, they can clear away the particles of glass and crawl in through the missing window! But I'm hoping that if a person wants in, they'll either be too uneducated and ill-prepared to use locksmithing technology; or, they will prefer to "move on" rather than risk getting caught stuck halfway through someone else's window.

One more deterrent is the age of my van, along with its "homemade" look. I don't think many would assume diamonds, rubies, and gold are stashed away in there, which reinforces the deterrent of not wanting to get stuck in the window. They'll want to "move on" to easier -- and far more rewarding -- targets.

Last edited:
To act as a deterrent from smashing door windows, you could use a snap in (or rather slide in) metal mesh that could be locked in place or fastened such that it can only be slid in and out when the door is open.
However, you can't do that to all the many windows.

To act as a deterrent from smashing door windows, you could use a snap in (or rather slide in) metal mesh that could be locked in place or fastened such that it can only be slid in and out when the door is open.
However, you can't do that to all the many windows.
Yeah. I thought about doing that. But I'm concerned that could make people think there must be high-value items in there to warrant so much protection.

Any time I see one of these or a similar lock on a van, my first thought is "I wonder what they are locking inside of that van". Don't give people a reason to wonder. While I have no intention of ever bothering anyone's stuff, it does catch my attention.

1660602350103.png

Since you're taking about kicking from the inside, there are extremely simple solutions. Long ago, my dad had animals he wanted to be able to come in and out of the sliding glass door. While he could have put a window lock on it, that was inconvenient as he was in and out of that door a lot.

So he simple drilled a small hole through the top frame and through the door at the point he wanted the door open. And drilled another where the door was closed. Then he just put a nail in the hole after he moved the door into the slightly open, or closed position. Worked great. People tried to open the door from outside and couldn't.

You can do the same, just modified for the van. You can even make it from simple home Depot parts of you wanted to get fancy. Something like this, installed a little lower but easy for you to get to would be quick and easy. And cheap.

Remember, if it takes more than 30-60 seconds for them to open a door, they are probably leaving before they get spotted. It doesn't have to hold forever. Just long enough.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-L...w-Diecast-Base-Chrome-Plated-U-9847/100168244

. . . . if you're inside the van and haven't locked these yourself, someone could lock you in. Even if they don't have the specific "puck lock" shown, there are two loops that this lock joins together and a padlock could be used. . . .
Image 15.jpg
That's an excellent point that I had not thought of. Thanks for the tip. I'd still be able to go out another door, but then I'd have to find a way to get their lock off my driver's door. Likely not easy to do.

Any time I see one of these or a similar lock on a van, my first thought is "I wonder what they are locking inside of that van". Don't give people a reason to wonder. While I have no intention of ever bothering anyone's stuff, it does catch my attention.
Image 5.jpg

You're right on. Another thing I had not thought much about.

So now I have a new idea for the driver's door: I'll remove the button for unlocking that door from the inside, creating a way only I know how to use inside for unlocking it. How simple! Nothing to see on the outside.

My intention is to prevent the common "smash and grab", so easy to do with a rock or even a steel nut slammed against a window before reaching in to open the door from the inside. But if they come equiped with a hydraulic pry bar, diamond-studded power saw, impact wrench, jackhammer, and three sticks of dynamite, I suspect they'll manage to get in. However, if there's not even a lock they can see added to the outside of my poor-man's van, I think their choice will be to move on in search of greener pastures.

A "smash-and-grabber" won't be carrying a bag of tools, and someone fully equipped will seek something that sports signs of wealth.

Last edited: