Heating my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to fuel, any fuel I would rather carry it outside of the living space.
Yup. That's when a hitch mounted cargo carrier comes in handy. I have also seen small propane tanks mounted on the outside of the van.

I have to say that after reading all these posts, I haven't seen a single solution to this problem that makes me think "yes! that's it!". On really cold mornings, I've been known to bounce out of bed long enough to start my engine and car heater, then bounce right back into my snuggly covers. In about 1/2 hour, the van is warm enough to change from PJs into real clothes. Then I can just shut the engine off, and start moving around. Works for me!

Last edited:
I bought a Camco Olympian Wave-3 heater for my van build that never happened. It is sitting in the cargo trailer, unopened. One of these days I'll get it out and try it in the van and the shed. The Mr. Buddy propane heater was disappointing. In the trailer I've been living in for three years I use the built in Dometic furnace. It is much more effective than any of the electric heaters I've tried.

Public utilities made a huge difference in the way people live and spend their time. Reverting back to being your own utility company is a good reminder of how much can be accomplished when government works to better people’s lives and how much time and work are involved when we try to do it independently on our own. I’m just glad I don’t have to split firewood anymore unless I just want to!

Public utilities made a huge difference in the way people live and spend their time. Reverting back to being your own utility company is a good reminder of how much can be accomplished when government works to better people’s lives and how much time and work are involved when we try to do it independently on our own. I’m just glad I don’t have to split firewood anymore unless I just want to!

Indeed. There are so many ways that we are steered into a highly consumptive lifestyle that is inefficient and doesn't enhance our lives.

When I went to college I lived in a dorm with a roommate, and later shared a 1bd with another guy, and later a 2bd with 3 other guys... and we had a lot of fun. When we graduated and had our own place and started on the rat race, and all the rest (marriage, kids?), it just seemed silly to me. We were living in nice houses and had way more stuff but we aren't happier... and worst of all, it was pointless. Kids are one thing, but honestly raising them in the more communal environment like college would have been better. It's all a bit insane....

Last edited:
How does the tank vent? Do you need to install a stand pipe? Is drilling the tank necessary?

How does the tank vent? Do you need to install a stand pipe? Is drilling the tank necessary?
And where and how is it mounted? Underneath or inside the vehicle? Wouldn't I also need additional piping/tubing? It would have been nice if they had included one pic of it installed somewhere.

^^^on YouTube one was mounted behind the driver’s seat inside a cabinet with the fill spout and cap protruding through modified flush exterior mount RV dump access portal with locking lid. There are kits that have fuel line, clamps and filters to do what needs to be done. These units are made to be installed in boats, campers, vans and trucks so there are plenty of people selling improved instillation components. Spend a few hours on YouTube researching. From my recent viewing the Wippro 8,000 btu kit appears to have the quietest fuel pump as current thinking is the unit itself should be mounted inside as not all electrical components are completely waterproof.

You can vent tanks thru the walls of vehicles using a gas tank vent used for boats. My diesel fuel tank is vented through my trailer wall that way as are my fresh water and waste water tanks. I have nylon vents but you can get metal ones. Easy to find online or at stores such as West Marine. In Parker, AZ you can buy them off the shelf at Spanky’s Marine and RV store. I put some butyl rubber sealant under the back of vent cap to make it a watertight entry point. Year 4 and no leaks. The vents perform as expected and no UV damage.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

From the pictures it looks like the screw on cap has a vent, and of course the lower end of the sight gauge has a hose barb fitting for a plastic fuel line to your heater.

I would suggest adding an inline fuel shutoff.

If you are putting the tank inside your vehicle it is a good idea to have a vent hose that connects to a thru “hull” fitting to take fuel fumes out of doors. You do not really want to be breathing those diesel vapors while you are sleeping or hanging out indoors, do you?

I have mine mounted at my sidedoor

tank.jpg

That's not installed just yet.....mocked up !.........Holds a Gallon

"Guppy's" tank was mounted outside a cabinet INSIDE the back doors

at first it was mounted on the rear door but the "fuel line" movement was problematic

with a new 15 amp (needed 12a) power supply the heater fired right up and ran great after adjusting air flow

I have mine mounted at my sidedoor

View attachment 34770

That's not installed just yet.....mocked up !.........Holds a Gallon

"Guppy's" tank was mounted outside a cabinet INSIDE the back doors

at first it was mounted on the rear door but the "fuel line" movement was problematic

with a new 15 amp (needed 12a) power supply the heater fired right up and ran great after adjusting air flow
Your pic is worth a thousand words. :)
I see the heater below the tank. How do you vent air in and air out? Drill holes down through the running board?
it?

Geneeus, are you still here?

I've used a 2kw diesel heater for seven years in my '94 Econoline down to 18 degrees F with howling wind. It works better than every other fuel based thing I've tried so far. For quick heat, I like an open flame. It takes a few minutes for the diesel heater to produce heat. But, I can push the start button while in bed and wait, and watch the inside condensation disappear.

I also have a seventy-dollar 5kw all in one thanks to Hugemoth's link a while back. Both fuel tank caps have a hole in them, to allow air to enter while running. Sadly, that also allows fumes to escape to avoid pressurizing the tank.

A small screw to block the vent hole when not running has worked so far, even with altitude and temperature changes. A check valve cap would be nice. Mine works with the fuel line down through the top, and allows for lifting the tank and sitting it on the entry step-up. Most of the time I just fill up with the fuel pump nozzle.

After a lifetime of battling fuel oil based stinking devices and saying no more, here I am.
This is valuable. Thank you! I was less than enthusiastic about diesel, not for economical reasons, but odor. However, I think I can rig up something that will work. Maybe a vent tube that runs to the ouside air. The tube doesn't have to be very large. What brand is your 2k heater? The 5k heater? I really appreciate this help.

Your pic is worth a thousand words. :)
I see the heater below the tank. How do you vent air in and air out? Drill holes down through the running board?

I cut out the bottom/back corner.......The actual bottom has a lot going on with the slider and structure..........

heater lines.jpg

Visual during the mock-up stage........wow that mount is a bit out of Level

The Back wall is cut and BENT.........this leaves a safer metal edge near the pipes exit and affords a clamp-mounting surface close to the heater

Last edited:
@Geneeus here is something I just posted in another thread. This might or might not apply to your situation.

Another option that might work for some are heated vests/jackets, gloves, socks, etc.

They are powered by power banks and generally do a very good job.

If you have multiple power banks and enough juice to recharge them, it's a viable option.

@Geneeus here is something I just posted in another thread. This might or might not apply to your situation.

Another option that might work for some are heated vests/jackets, gloves, socks, etc.

If you have multiple power banks and enough juice to recharge them, it's a viable option.
They work great. My Son was gifted one from a vendor while working in ND. I told him to always have all his winter gear with him in case it crapped out at -10.

Never tried one, but the power draw is so small, I don't know how much they'd help. A human body at rest generates about 100W of heat, so it doesn't seem like heat sources that are far less than that would contribute much.... unless you are targeting specific parts like hands and feet?