Guns - to Carry One or Not?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cortttt

Reaction score
I was recently camped near someone and we talked and with regard to a coyote pack nearby he said something about the gun he assumed I was carrying. He wasn't the first. 

I don't carry a gun! The only reason I might carry a gun is if I went into heavy grizzly country and even then I would probably rely on bear spray.  Otherwise I just couldn't imagine carrying one. In three plus years of boondocking plus a couple of years earlier I've never had any reason for a gun and hopefully I never will. 

Has anyone else? 

(I do have two fairly large dogs though!)

Thoughts?

If you have that reaction to the idea of carrying a gun you probably shouldn't
i carry on a regular basis, to the point I don't really even think about it
I'd rather have it and never need it, that need it and not have it, like airbags and a seat belt, or my on the road tool kit
You're likely better off with the dogs, they don't have the moral compunctions we humans talk ourselves into, and won't hesitate, where a human who isn't committed to the idea of no compromise self defense likely would, and become a statistic
First question I ask folks who ask me about a gun for home defense is: "Are you 100% positive you could take a life?"
If the answer is "no" or contains any qualifiers whatsoever, I tell them "A dog" even "well if my life was in danger..." No
"Yes" with no qualifiers, or get a dog

First off, all you have to do with coyotes is yell at them. Don't ever be nice to them or let them get close - it will just make them comfortable around humans and eventually get them run over or put down.

I am unlikely to actually use a gun if it came down to it so I don't carry one. In my possession it would just make things worse or at the very least create hassles I don't need. So far in 43 years I've never been in a situation that would have been better with a gun in my hand and several that could have gone very wrong. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm not saying this is true for everyone. We all have our own experiences and place different values on things.

If you don't see an immediate need and aren't inclined to shoot things, you probably shouldn't have a gun.

The reputation that vandwellers have of being armed is just fine with me because it means fewer people bothering me :)

I have a CCW and I carry a 9mm Glock. I hope I don't ever have to use it but if I'm forced, well, I will not hesitate. To each his/her own, though.

VanGrrl57 :)

I find it sorta funny that one of the most stolen items seem to be firearms. How does that happen? Why advertise you have something to steal? Simplify the less you have the safer you are.

This is a personal choice. If you choose not to carry, fine. If you carry, fine.
"With great power comes great responsibility."
A firearm gives one great power.

I keep a gun close at hand at all times. My choice. Neither a good or bad choice.

And...... coyotes have attacked small dogs, on leash right by their owners. Hungry or rabid, it is a matter of record. I'd want more to defend with than my size fifteen shoe applied vigorously. Just sayin'......
Here in sunny Florida, that same thing can be said for gators.

You know.......... I've been traveling and camping for WELL over 1/2 a century throughout this magnificent country. North, South, East, West..........
NEVER have I felt the need for protection with a firearm.

Protection from tornadoes? Yes!
Protection from mosquitoes? Yes!

Protection from Wild life or crazy humans?
Not once.

Dave

East of the Mississippi River I may have one in my rig.  West of the Mississippi I may have it on my person.

If you are out by yourself and traveling where you know no one,  you may have to protect yourself.   Male or Female.   There may be no one around to do that for you.   I just see this as "one" of the many concerns for those choosing the nomadic lifestyle. 

I may have it backwards about being in the west & east and which is safer by and large.

This may also relate to one's age and or gender.

To each his(or hers)own.
The only way to meet violence is with extreme violence. over come the threat with great power.
Two things for sure one cannot live with out when needed, a parachute and a firearm.

I'm still going back and forth on taking one gun. I can get it into the safe with a box of ammo, and have the top shelf free for my binoculars, but still. I don't know, I'll keep thinking about it. I don't really need it.

I carry concealed with a permit.
I am too young to die, and too old for an ass kicking.

Seriously about 8 years ago I drove past a crime scene. It was in Carson City Nv. Some nutcase went into an IHOP, (pancake breakfast house), and started shooting people he did not even know. I thought wow, what if I was hungry 30 minutes ago. What would I be able to do. Another guy went nuts in a coffee shop I think. If I was there, what would I do.

A short while after getting my permit my neighbors dogs got loose, (six of them). They kill anything that gets into the neighbor's yard, (like a cat). I got my small dog put up in the house and was walking over to the neighbor's place to let them know. The dogs came after me. They started to circle me and were only about 3 ' from me. One 9mm round into the dirt between us changed their minds. Since then, the neighbor has put in a double fence.

I carry wherever it is legal. I think the dumbest thing in the world is a no gun zone. Let's pretend the bad guys will obey that law.

Twice in my near-60 years on this Earth, having a gun on me came in very handy. It's like insurance. Usually you don't need it. But when you need it, you NEED it. I can't carry a cop in my pocket.

I carry everywhere I go, where it's legal. We're in Arizona, so almost everywhere is legal, no ccw necessary. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. As far as cross country, I'll obey any laws along the way.

If a bear were approaching me, I'd rather have a firearm than bear spray. They have to get pretty close to you to use bear spray, and I'd prefer more distance. Ditto for rattlers.  :D  Women are also more vulnerable then a large man, so it's also a great equalizer.

DesertDweller said:
 We're in Arizona, so almost everywhere is legal, no ccw necessary. 

Is this also true for non residents of the State?  I know that they honor Nevada CCW permits, so if everyone regardless of their State of residency can carry, there would be no need to honor a NV permit.

I carry 24/7 in every state West of the Mississippi, except Colorado.

As was pointed out by DesertDweller, it's better to have one and not need it, as opposed to needing one and not having it.

Personally, I would not van dwell without a firearm.

I agree with Art and Reducto, if you are hesitant about buying or using a weapon save your money. Carrying a weapon should feel natural to you without any qualms about using it in self-defense or defense of others.

Just use your natural senses and avoid dodgy places. Sometimes crazy hits in upscale places but less often than urban areas.

Be safe, Rob

there are a lot of broken people walking around America, a lot of vets have mental health issues, a lot of dysfunctional adolescences, a lot of scared people, guns are a minor problem if fact almost not worth a mention. 100 people die everyday from firearms, 60 of them are suicide and 36 are gang related so that leaves 4 most of those are known to the victim so random killings are very rare. If you are worried about dying, you should ask yourself the question should I carry or consume meat or dairy products, those kill over 20,000 people every day, a much larger problem, totally avoidable simply by changing your diet. I bet most people don't think about that every time they chow down a burger while feeling for their sidearm when someone suspicious walks into the fast food joint. People are ignorant to the real dangers around them. I think people are just looking for something to be afraid of. Carry on

It seems to me, that if you have to ask the question, the answer is probably 'No'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts