How do you carry, if you carry a gun?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the olden days in the military the women had special protection from unwanted attention with an item we called RPDs. Any old wacs remember them?

RPD stood for Rape Prevention Devices. 384BC7C3-3CE6-48A7-BB7E-15E45FD0636A.png

When the guys wore them we called them Birth Control Glasses, cause you not going to get a date wearing those.

It's a deterrent when someone is inside the vehicle with the gun. It's not a deterrent when nobody is inside the vehicle and people know that a gun is still inside the vehicle. Then it becomes a reason to break into the vehicle.

Very true, 100% agree. Especially when its on display. But the question was phrased "WHY would you advertise that you are armed in your van/bus". So I didn't connect it to the shotgun show and tell. lol

In these times its always best to conceal and don't tell a soul.

My bad it's 27 inches overall. I bought it this way.FYI. Just curious where do you all camp/leave your bus/campervan etc on the south side of Chicago? East St Louis? You make it sound like there are roving thrives out there following you around-scary.

Attachments

• 20220227_155940.jpg
    20220227_155940.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220227_155933.jpg
    20220227_155933.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 6
My bad it's 27 inches overall. .FYI. Just curious where do you all camp/leave your bus/campervan etc on the south side of Chicago? East St Louis? You make it sound like there are roving thrives out there following you around-scary.
LOL. I was wondering the same about you since you feel the need to mount a shotgun on the doghouse to, "let people know you mean business". Where do you travel to?

Last edited:
Very true, 100% agree. Especially when its on display. But the question was phrased "WHY would you advertise that you are armed in your van/bus". So I didn't connect it to the shotgun show and tell. lol

In these times its always best to conceal and don't tell a soul.
I would like to think that was what I was trying to say... people used to leave folks stuff alone, theft wasn't as prevalent and people didn't wear "I don't want to get involved blinders". You display a shotgun when you are there, people see and know you have it... they wait and watch you leave then break in and get themselves a shotgun, pistol whatever you have.
Where do you travel that you feel the need to display a weapon? I agree with Ripper238 " In these times it's always best to conceal and don't tell a soul. " I opt for the surprise factor - you're not going to know I was armed until you're on the ground waiting for the ambulance to arrive... they would be called as a courtesy.

A visible gun (in the vehicle or carried on the person) is seen as a deterrent? Since when? Stop and think: What two things are the most attractive items for theft to the criminal mind?

Try 1) a wad of CASH, and 2) a GUN.

Advertising that you have a gun is mainly just an ego trip. A criminal can see it and make plans to steal it without you even knowing, then attack you by surprise. A hidden gun can be a nasty surprise to a criminal. Which sounds best?

LOL. I was wondering the same about you since you feel the need to mount a shotgun on the doghouse to, "let people know you mean business". Where do you travel to?
Although I have that shotgun mounted on the doghouse doesn't mean that's my only defense.i guess I'm slow but I don't plan on staying anywhere I don't feel safe to begin with. Are all your Walmart's full of murderers? I'll steer clear of those.

Although I have that shotgun mounted on the doghouse doesn't mean that's my only defense.i guess I'm slow but I don't plan on staying anywhere I don't feel safe to begin with. Are all your Walmart's full of murderers? I'll steer clear of those.
I've stayed at dozens of WMs over the years and no, they don't tend to be 'full of murderers'. Where did you get that idea? WMs have lots of lighting and cameras so really they are pretty safe. I usually park directly under one of the lights. They are at least as safe as other types of places in most cities. Many 1000's of RVers and truckers stay at WMs all over the country.

Last edited:
Someone broke into my van once at a Walmart in South Dakota once. I was in the Walmart for only 20 minutes. They only went into the cab, took my bag full of water hoses and attachments, very strange. I had my handgun concealed on me, but it did me no good in that scenario. I'm sure if I had a shotgun sitting on my doghouse, that would have been stolen it for sure. Don't leave guns sitting out in the open. One of the main ways criminals get their guns is through theft. Apparently, don't leave your garden hoses out in the open either!

I get the idea from comments that a no trespassing sign is the best I can do. I do have a spine and a brain and I use both.FYI.

That's great but I'd still like to know where you travel to that is so dangerous that you need a shotgun sitting on the doghouse. I think most of the posters on this thread are all for self-defense when travelling but do it in a way that wouldn't be so 'in-your-face' to people they might casually come in contact with. But I guess some people are just more fearful than others.

Last edited:
I would rather surprise them and pull out the 9mm and point at their head.

Haha, if the hoses were stolen today, yes, I'd be sure they needed it to siphon fuel. But really, who breaks in and takes garden hoses? I was pissed because all my hoses had nice brass quick connects. They took my shower head and hose too! I had to wash with a bucket, I felt like such a peasant! Maybe if they saw a shotgun sitting on the doghouse they would have stolen someone else's hoses!

Status
Not open for further replies.