How do you carry, if you carry a gun?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A 22" long shotgun is a big gun, especially if it's 12ga. But size doesn't matter in this scenario. Any gun, small or large, really should be kept hidden and locked when the owner isn't around. Doesn't matter if you're only gone 20 minutes. Some scumbag thief only needs 20 seconds to smash a window, grab and run. A majority of guns used in crime are stolen guns. Yes, we should all be able to defend ourselves, but we need to be responsible.

You apparently don't know your guns.its 22 inches long total. I don't leave my shuttle bus for more than a couple hours at a time in which I put it up.i do lock my doors both when I'm gone and at night. Inside my bus is my home and the 2nd amendment gives me the right to defend it and myself.
Point taken. But I think I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Rest assured anyone dumb enough to break my lock and enter my"home" while I'm in it will be carried by 6.

In our current cultural climate I would not leave anything of value visible inside my vehicle when I'm gone, even for a couple of minutes.

You apparently don't know your guns.its 22 inches long total. I don't leave my shuttle bus for more than a couple hours at a time in which I put it up.i do lock my doors both when I'm gone and at night. Inside my bus is my home and the 2nd amendment gives me the right to defend it and myself.
Nothing I said reflects I don't know my guns. I didn't comment on the length of your gun or say anything about your 2nd amendment rights (I have no desire to discuss anyone's rights to anything that doesn't affect me).

You stated you leave your gun in clear view of the door for people to see. I commented based on my experience: if a thief sees you have a gun that length in your bus, they're going to assume you're not carrying it with you, so that gives them a reason to break into your bus when you're not in it. Your bus can be broken into and ransacked in way less then 20 minutes, especially if they know what they're looking for, so 2 hours is golden. The best way to prevent theft is to keep all valuables out of sight and to lock your doors. Of course, you're free to do what you want. I'm just passing along the info.

You really need to read up on gun laws, some states will disagree with that. Also if your Shotgun is only 22" long it is most likely illegal. My 870 has a factory 18" barrel and counting the stock is closer to 38" long.

Federal law is 18" minimum barrel length without a Class 3 firearms license. The shotgun in question is most likely pistol grip with no shoulder stock. While completely impractical to hit anything, a shotgun with no stock is completely legal most places, depending on local state laws. Read up on local statutes before you get yourself in a pickle.

Federal law is 18" minimum barrel length without a Class 3 firearms license. The shotgun in question is most likely pistol grip with no shoulder stock. While completely impractical to hit anything, a shotgun with no stock is completely legal most places, depending on local state laws. Read up on local statutes before you get yourself in a pickle.
Do you really think the firing mechanism is only 4" long?? Most shotgun shells are 2 3/4", mine is chambered for 3" Magnums.

He says he has a mossberg 500, that is a pump shotgun, so if the barrel has been shortened to less than 18" the shotgun is illegal.

Last edited:
Oh geeze, your math is better than mine. The receiver and grip would add about 10". 22" total length is sawed off territory. I'm withdrawing from this conversation if it does in fact involve illegal firearms.

A 22" long shotgun is a big gun, especially if it's 12ga. But size doesn't matter in this scenario. Any gun, small or large, really should be kept hidden and locked when the owner isn't around. Doesn't matter if you're only gone 20 minutes. Some scumbag thief only needs 20 seconds to smash a window, grab and run. A majority of guns used in crime are stolen guns. Yes, we should all be able to defend ourselves, but we need to be responsible.

You really need to read up on gun laws, some states will disagree with that. Also if your Shotgun is only 22" long it is most likely illegal. My 870 has a factory 18" barrel and counting the stock is closer to 38" long.
You're a good soul. I've learned to keep info about guns, laws, and rights to myself, unless specifically asked. The last time I tried to explain federal law vs state law and the limitations of 18 USC 926A, it did not go over well, I was verbally abused, and I said never again. Right or wrong, law enforcement and their public defender can tell them way better than I can and those people get paid to do it.

Wow. Didn't know there was such an animal. Kind of reminds me of the old Western show on TV where the guy had a .45 revolver with a cylinder that was modified to include one .410 shotgun shell.
There was a pistol in the 1800's called a LeMat that was a 45 cal revolver and had a single shot shotgun barrel. Civil War models were cap and ball, later versions were modified for cartridges.

Attachments

• LeMat.jpeg
    LeMat.jpeg
    4.1 KB
Last edited:
Also had over and under rifle shotgun combo's. Still popular in German Shuetzen Clubs.

Cheers.

A couple points....

The short shotguns/"firearms" without butt stocks are by no means difficult to hit with, it just requires a decent technique, and "from the hip" or other lower level position is hollywood stuff, not practical technique. Held up to eye level so one can see over the barrel, basically the same position of the gun as when a butt stock is present, gives quite good shootability. Theres a number of youtubes of peple shooting skeet and other flying clay targets with the shockwave and remington tac-14 guns, its all about using them correctly.

In my case, with a serious back and shoulder injury, I cant shoot a normal shotgun or moderately powerful rifle normally. I tried a shockwave, its entirely comfortable to shoot held out from the body as described, with no unpleasant recoil or kick to the shoulder. I wanted a basic defensive piece for critters and whatever, and a good snake and nuisance critter gun usable in areas where a rifle or pistol may not be safe to shoot. It fills that niche very well and Im very happy with it.

Theres basically nothing "illegal" about shorter than standard guns, they just require federal paperwork to own. Some states, as was mentioned, restrict certain types more than others, but as a blanket statement of short barrel shotguns or rifles, suppressors/silencers, etc, its a registration and paperwork question for the most part. The tax stamp cost varies between $5 and $200, and one has to do fingerprints, photos, full background check and other stuff, and have a safe and secure place to store said items, and I believe permission to transport interstate, i also believe its subject to checks to see if the item(s) are in fact there and safe. Such things used to be very unusual, but in the past 20 years have become quite common for ordinary people to own if one wishes to go through all the paperwork and permits process.

Keep in mind that the shockwave and tac-14 guns are legal in the form they left the factory, but one can NOT alter an existing shotgun to the same specs, as it was orginally manufactured in another form, and you would be "manufacturing" a different class of firearm. The commonly known limits for ordinary shotguns is an 18" barrel and 26 1/2" overall length. Any common shotgun can be modified to this size without issue. The shockwave and tac-14 guns use the federal definition of "firearm" rather than shotgun or handgun which stipulates an overall length of 26 1/2" and barrel length is not a factor in the definition otherwise, hence the 14" barrels being legal. If you change the raptor type grip for the common "pistol" grip that are often used on some shotguns, it falls below this limit and one would be in violation of the federal laws. The raptor grip that is on the shockwave and tac-14 is actually a much improved grip over the common pistol grips, which are generally considered rather unpleasant to shoot.

Last edited:
In the good old days of my youth (and long before) it was not at all unusual for the cowboys I went to school with to have a gun rack mounted in the rear window of their pickups complete with shotgun, 30-30 or what have you. Nobody cared, nobody broke in and stole the guns, nothing was said about the truck being parked at the school. We didn't have the internet back then putting stupid thoughts in ignorant minds. There were no school shootings, parents knew if their child was mentally deficient and DID NOT buy them 9mm pistols.
WHY would you advertise that you are armed in your van/bus? Sorry, I'm an old Police Chief and have to ask.

A town not far from where I living at the time, a persons car broke down, so he parked it on a school parking lot. This was in the summer and school out and on a Saturday night. When the local Cop checked out the car, he found drugs in plain site in the front seat. This kid just got him a felony, the same could happen with a gun that is openly displayed.

WHY would you advertise that you are armed in your van/bus? Sorry, I'm an old Police Chief and have to ask.

Interesting. I didn't see anyone suggest this but simply having a thread like this basically does.

Why? As a deterrent would be my guess.

Its like me advertising my truck has cameras and audio recording, it acts as a deterrent.

Interesting. I didn't see anyone suggest this but simply having a thread like this basically does.

Its like me advertising my truck has cameras and audio recording, it acts as a deterrent.
See post #130. He says he mounts a shotgun on the dog house of his shuttle bus. Many posts after that discuss the wisdom of doing that.

In the good old days of my youth (and long before) it was not at all unusual for the cowboys I went to school with to have a gun rack mounted in the rear window of their pickups complete with shotgun, 30-30 or what have you.
WHY would you advertise that you are armed in your van/bus?
I guess some want to relive the Good Old Days.

Why? As a deterrent would be my guess.

It's a deterrent when someone is inside the vehicle with the gun. It's not a deterrent when nobody is inside the vehicle and people know that a gun is still inside the vehicle. Then it becomes a reason to break into the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts