How do you carry, if you carry a gun?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanbrat

Reaction score
I have been thinking of having a gun as part of our equipment in our van. There will be times when we will be working and handling large amounts of cash. And we are now old enough to look like easy targets. I now have and carry pepper spray, but as of yet have not been handling the cash after hours..... We are planning to hit a fair route as soon as this social distancing is over. But that means late night walks to the car after hours. And going to a hotel or camp late. 

I have had people suggest different guns and how to be sneaky about how to use them/carry them. But I have also had a friend that is a cop and has been a special MP or something, any way he is very weapon educated. He said he would help us find the right gun as some are not legal everywhere and some are easy to use and such, but he also said he would help us learn about how and where to have it in the van as there are some places that it is legal here and not there etc. He also thought since we would be in the situations we may find ourselves in it might be wise to have something...… He really likes that we do have pepper spray.

He is offering to educate us, but now I am asking you all. If you don't carry no judgement, if you do no judgment. I feel like this is a very personal choice. I won't get into a debate with anyone about this just trying to get as much education on this as I can.

When actually carrying a handgun one needs to be discrete. Not everyone out there is into the gun culture. With the right gun, belt and outside the waist band holster, it can be done comfortably and discreetly.

I live in a constitutional carry state, but I still have a permit.

When one isn’t carrying, the weapon needs to be secured. The number one score for a thief is a handgun.

Hopefully this thread doesn’t get political.

For your stated purpose, where strangers will know or assume you have large sums of cash on you, a decision to carry a firearm means you are comfortable with killing someone.

The only legal way to travel with a gun is to have a "concealed carry license" issued by the state you are in. Understand not all states accept a concealed carry license issued from another state. An option to consider is "open carry". Some states do not allow open carry. Either way a loaded firearm inside a vehicle is breaking the law in general terms so that can be a problem. So protecting yourself and your money to and from a vehicle is a different matter than protection while driving. With open carry you will need to unload the firearm in the vehicle. This may vary in some jurisdictions.

That said, take some lessons from a "professional". The NRA offers Firearm Pistol classes and are worth attending a couple.

Try several brands/types/calibers of handguns at the range before you buy anything. The best one for you is the one that you feel comfortable handling in every scenario. Loading, holding, aiming, shooting and carrying at the very least.

Best of luck to you.

With the pandemic most people have realized transactions are best if not required to be done by credit or debit cards. Many states prefer to have unemployment provided through them. I think one of the phone attachments and apps would save you a lot of tax and accounting required to do business and prevent the risks of conducting a cash business. I did security for several years handling large amounts of cash late at night and was not permitted to carry a weapon as everyone understood we were to give them the money and run rather than chance injury in a shootout. The only loss was when one of our own employees took off with the money. Arrangements can usually be made to insure your safety but I feel a cash business will soon be a thing of the past. In today’s legal environment even the police can take cash if you transport it as many of the remaining cash business is illegal activity. Possibly you could hire a local off duty policeman or fairgrounds security to help you to the bank and avoid dealing with all the different state requirements for carrying a fire arm.

I carry with a sturdy gun belt and a fitted holster. OWB is an acronym that means outside web belt or something like that. Cargo shorts work good with a gun belt. Cover the gun with any loose fitting shirt.

I carry like that most all the time, while driving or doing whatever.

Concealed means nobody should ever know

I conceal carry in a waistband "Sticky" holster or belly band depending on what I'm wearing. That being said,  the most important thing to learn is situational awareness. I would suggest, as Bob Wells has, that everyone take a self-defense class annually. How you carry YOURSELF can be a deterrent. And please, if you decide to carry, please, please, please learn how to handle your PPD (personal protection device) and practice regularly. Most local ranges offer classes or have connections with certified firearms instructors. As I woman, I have found my local The Well Armed Woman chapter to be a great resource.

One, often overlooked yet discrete method of carry is a 'gun vest'...I am referring to a casual looking leather or denim vest, NOT a tactical vest....and they can be leather, for cooler climates, or denim or webbing for warmer climates...the advantage is they can have exterior pockets for carrying miscellaneous items, plus interior 'slot' pockets on either side for a small, easily accessed pistol or revolver.

The most comfortable way for me to wear one is buy the size that is one size too small, then use 'extenders' to allow it to fit comfortably with the front of the vest 'open', allowing easy access inside, if and when needed. Depending on your body size and shape, this may or may not work for you.

If, and that is still an IF, we get a weapon We will be getting training. If not hubby. I will.

We did the 'carny' thing 45 yrs ago and we learned to be careful. Most of the time we did just cash way back then. So did everyone else. But we will be using cards and such also this time around. We didn't have any trouble way back when, but we now look like "older folk" and some times that makes us look like easy targets.

The cop we have talked to agreed with us that sometimes it is just smart to be able to at least not look like the easiest target around. To be aware of what is around and don't be the last one out type of thing. We will be taking more self defense classes. He is offering us what ever training info we may want ETC... Just wondered how it is working for anyone else. I'm trying to figure out how to store it in the van. How do you deal with state by state licenses and laws etc.

I have a not to knowledgeable in-law trying to tell me I have rights etc. I'm just not into fighting with any one about it in another state. I am smart enough to trust the gun smart/educated guy more.

One must obey the laws of whatever local you are in. Be careful carry out side the jurisdiction you are licensed.

Yes, training and education is the most important thing to do imo.
My m.o. is to de-escalate and retreat. You cannot shoot anyone over thievery, they can have it as far as I am concerned.
Once you have taken the shot, there are no take-backs, so, only if I fear for my life will I take a defensive posture.
The legal ramifications and emotional burden that would follow would be life changing.
Good luck with your decision. Pepper spray is a good thing to have.

I carried cash out of my business for years no gun no problem. You can’t shoot someone for steeling without a lot of problems, if you pull out a gun then they may pull out a gun, two drawn guns, two scared people, never ends well. i get the feeling you guys are not the type of people that want to shoot anyone..What about outsmarting the would be thief, maybe concealing the bulk of your cash in a pouch on your leg or waist, carry another bag or fake wallet with a bit in it to give to the thief.

bullfrog said:
With the pandemic most people have realized transactions are best if not required to be done by credit or debit cards. Many states prefer to have unemployment provided through them. I think one of the phone attachments and apps would save you a lot of tax and accounting required to do business and prevent the risks of conducting a cash business. I did security for several years handling large amounts of cash late at night and was not permitted to carry a weapon as everyone understood we were to give them the money and run rather than chance injury in a shootout. The only loss was when one of our own employees took off with the money. Arrangements can usually be made to insure your safety but I feel a cash business will soon be a thing of the past. In today’s legal environment even the police can take cash if you transport it as many of the remaining cash business is illegal activity. Possibly you could hire a local off duty policeman or fairgrounds security to help you to the bank and avoid dealing with all the different state requirements for carrying a fire arm.

For this exact reason, I'm considering lessening my use of my debit card and increasing my use of cash.

I pack a pistol. It's literally packed. In a case, unloaded, in a locked steel cabinet.

I've had it unpacked five times: once because I had spooked myself about a place I was boondocking, once to show a curious friend, and three times when I left it with friends while I traveled in Mexico.

Patrick said:
I carry with a sturdy gun belt and a fitted holster.  OWB is an acronym that means outside web belt or something like that.  Cargo shorts work good with a gun belt.  Cover the gun with any loose fitting shirt.

I carry like that most all the time, while driving or doing whatever.

Concealed means nobody should ever know

Outside Waist Band. Some have clips, no need for a belt.

This link is about mental attitudes for using a lethal weapon in self defense. The source is a blog on a site that sells ammo magazines. There are three parts. The third deals with the aftermath, when people's attitudes will change towards someone who has taken a life. The text after the link is from the link.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/considerations-for-lethal-force-part-1/

Fighting and Shooting are Not the Same

Let’s clarify that fighting is an entirely different activity than target shooting or hunting. You can target shoot, shoot competitively, and hunt your entire life and still be unprepared to perform well in an actual fight with one or more violent humans. This is where the “I’ve been shooting my whole life, I don’t need instruction” crowd goes off the rails.

Thank you for all the info and comments.
I have thought about will I be able to shot another human.... only for saving my or hubby's life. Not so much for the cash.
My family always had hunting guns around even though dad only went hunting to drink beer with his buddies. I learned to shot young, but I am very much aware that it is different then shooting at a live human. Also I did not like to shot it hurt my ears so I did not do it much. Hubby taught our sons to shoot and the power of a gun. He made them listen and understand the roll a gun can be to change your life.... as well as others. We both also know that we may need it some time to stop someone from doing US harm. There are stories for both sides of this.
He grew up in carny lots and farm camps and sometimes under bridges, he knows how to stay out of trouble, unless trouble is determined to find you. (As in Cash around)
I am, like I said, trying to figure out how, if, and what, to think about all this...
Maybe the gun will be his, the pepper spray mine....
Both of us will need to practice and then practice and then practice some more. We will take lessons from the cop friend and do what we can to be legal. I'm thinking this might not be fun if we don't.
I like the idea of a vest type holder, but Hubby may want a belt thing.
I plan to have a strong box in the van to hold it, but the friend was saying because it is a van, there may be some places where it will need to have the bullets somewhere else, not in the same place and some states say it has to be in certain areas in the van. He said some states are real buggers about it. Has anyone had any problems with this issue? I want to have it if needed,(?) but not so it can be stolen or used against us. And not so it is not legal.
We are planning to have the money safe bolted to the floor someplace out of sight and only between banks. Not many banks open at 2-3 am....
As you can see this is something we are not taking lightly. The cop friend has made sure his wife and now daughter are both very capable with hand guns and has said it is not a bad idea. He has seen to much he says. As long as we are careful....

Be aware that even bullets can get your van taken from you if crossing the border into Mexico I believe and several places like school parking lots where they are not allowed could be a problem as well. Make sure you count bullets and keep track of all of them.

Packing a gun on your person is not just an occasional thing for most people that do it. It requires a proper mindset, and that generally equates into the practice being more of a lifestyle than a mere task. Because of the responsibility and liability you assume upon yourself, your situational awareness is (ideally) forever "switched on". Pistol carriers NEED to be people-watchers; observers of their surroundings. It really is the mildest case of paranoia,...not an unhealthy one, but positive.

Entire books are written on this subject every year. Its impossible to tell you what you need to know is just a few postings.

One of the unfortunate facts about people carrying pistols as they get older (when they are more often seen as prey and really need a weapon) is that one's reaction speed and nimble ability is slower. And most importantly, young punks know this. It has happened often that an elder person has felt need to present their handgun to ward off an attacker,...but that person doesn't respect anything and figures they are fast enough to snatch the pistol or knock it out of their hands. It happens far too frequently, I'm afraid. This teaches us a few things to keep in mind as an older pistolero;...1. Never carry a gun unless you know you are capable of actually shooting someone, because hesitation can get you relieved of your weapon by your assailant and used against you. Therefor, don't pull it unless you know you are likely to use it (not to mention legally justified), and..., 2. Never give an asshole an even break,...meaning that if you give your assailant too much time to comply or surrender or run away, and they just stand there looking at you,...in their head they are deciding whether they can take you. Hesitation can kill you. Don't give them time to figure out how to defeat you.

Aside from that, the biggest challenges are trying to not let your little friend get seen by the sheep around you (they are so easily disturbed), and trying to not accidentally forget it Silly as it may sound, when you wear one regularly, it eventually becomes such a normal thing for you, that you can become complacent about it like its a set of car keys or other personal effects. Ever set your keys down (or phone) and forgot where you put em,...in a public place? I can't tell you how many guys have taken their pistol out and set it on top of the toilet so it didn't pull their pants down with a loud clank,...only to zip up when done and leave and forget they left their pistol in the bathroom. Yes,...that is actually a real thing and more common than you know.

There are so many jurisdictions that have different rules, it is nearly impossible to know for sure what is legal wherever you are. While you should of course try to know the law wherever you may be and do your best to comply with it,...it is also critical to be very good at keeping your weapon very well concealed. That way, if you accidentally stray into someplace where you are actually violating the law by accident,...less likely anyone to find out. What nobody knows won't hurt them.

As others have said, training is a good investment. I would also point out that having good first aid trauma skills are also a good idea. Perhaps your situation that is grave enough to result in you having to shoot someone also results in someone else being wounded who needs attending to. Whether or not you ever decide to carry a weapon, those skills are good to have, especially for folks who travel into the places where help or other people are not immediately near to assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.