A safe in our Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
I want to put a safe somewhere in our van, but not just in the van, bolted on or welded to or something that will be very hard to get out. We may be dealing with large amounts of cash sometimes from vending and will once in a while need to secure it. Also, Hubby likes to take cash with us when we travel long distances just in case!?!?!? Where do you all keep things? No, I don't need the combo of your spots just ideas. Right now, we have a big dog who stays in the van if we are at a store or? But he also comes walking etc. often so I worry then. Hubby keeps most of it in a secret pocket in his light jacket but that won't work all the time either. Whatever we do I want secured to the van body itself so I'm not just bundling and putting a handle on my valuables. I have a few ideas but not sure.... I know someone can still just take the whole van and I know cash is safest in a bank and other then the emergency cash it mostly will be, but sometimes it is not possible until the next business day so???

You need to modernize and change with the times. You need to start to use your smart phone for business transactions. A card reader or something like Venmo. Even the police in certain places can search and take cash with little or no cause. Even the Federal government will refuse to take cash in certain situations. Carrying cash is just asking for problems. Fire, water and contamination causes a safe to weigh way too much and take up too much space. I like using cash because it is what I grew up using. My grandfather refused to use paper money. My kids all used plastic and my grandkids their electronic devices. Even the best hiding places are not fool proof. Had one of those shaving cream can safes with emergency cash get thrown out by a helpful neighbor once when I was sick. She did buy me a new can of shaving cream after she threw the old one away! Lol!!!

How often / easily do you need to get to the cash? If you don't need to get to it often, an out of the way spot that has a lot of your junk piled on it would be good maybe under your bed (thru bolted to the floor).
If you need easier access then I would mount it in a cabinet (thru bolted to the van floor), but not directly opposite doors as you wouldn't want people to see what you're doing. A hidden compartment might be a good solution too and could allow for easier access.

You need to modernize and change with the times. You need to start to use your smart phone for business transactions. A card reader or something like Venmo. Even the police in certain places can search and take cash with little or no cause. Even the Federal government will refuse to take cash in certain situations. Carrying cash is just asking for problems. Fire, water and contamination causes a safe to weigh way too much and take up too much space. I like using cash because it is what I grew up using. My grandfather refused to use paper money. My kids all used plastic and my grandkids their electronic devices. Even the best hiding places are not fool proof. Had one of those shaving cream can safes with emergency cash get thrown out by a helpful neighbor once when I was sick. She did buy me a new can of shaving cream after she threw the old one away! Lol!!!
We plan to do that. but still not going to give up a sale because someone wants to use cash!

Hubby likes to take a couple thousand cash in case he needs to buy a car to get home. Something his family has ALWAYS done. At his age he is not going to change. I want to put something like a strong box safe and find a way to make it easy to get if you know how, but impossible if you don't... But the cash above the emergency funds would daily, as soon as the bank opens, go to the bank.

I have thought welding something to the frame of the bed out of sight unless you crawl under there. But that would burn down the bed. there are some hidden metal boxes around the wheelwells, but we use those, and it would mean being outside the van to access. Not a good place to be fumbling with cash. I thought about a few other things but.... Hubby just stuff things in his pockets, not good as he digs out the keys ..... There have been a few times the cash has fallen out ..

I gave 200 dollars once to the thrift store in a book, because that was also something his family did. He doesn't do that anymore...

How often / easily do you need to get to the cash? If you don't need to get to it often, an out of the way spot that has a lot of your junk piled on it would be good maybe under your bed (thru bolted to the floor).
If you need easier access then I would mount it in a cabinet (thru bolted to the van floor), but not directly opposite doors as you wouldn't want people to see what you're doing. A hidden compartment might be a good solution too and could allow for easier access.
The emergency cash we don't touch unless really needed. So it would not need to be easy. But the vending money might need to be gotten to daily. I may need to think of more then one idea.

As I have gotten older hiding cash that I don’t access on a daily basis is not a good idea because after a short time I forget where I put it! Lol!!! How about in bottom of a paper napkin despenser or kitchen appliance you never use like a non functioning beat up toaster mounted to the counter top. Fake hollowed out ceiling light fixture. Inside the toilet paper dispenser spindle (just shorten the spring) hollow decorative spindle between the overhead cabinet and the counter top counter. Fake electrical fuse box complete with lock.

I have one, the kind that the LockPickingLawyer ridicules on his YouTube. A crowbar attack would split it open in a few minutes and a hot vehicle fire would likely destroy the contents. However, given it’s difficult location, it would slow down a thief.

There are a variety of cheap/fair to pretty good pistol safes made for vehicles. They range from around $20 for a small sheet metal one with a key lock and cable for attaching to a seat frame or similar, to built in console models that bolt in solid and made specifically for a particular vehicle to ones that fit under rear seats or beds for several hundred dollars. Any of them would be a huge improvement over putting it in a pocket and hoping it doesnt get found.

Keeping a few hundred in cash and a credit card with plenty open is my version of emergency money. I always keep in the back of my mind on long trips that if my vehicle died, Id get a u-haul and haul it home. Family traditions are nice and all, but sometimes better options come along. Being wise enough to adjust to the current situation is sometimes difficult but is often much more practical and safe.

There are a variety of cheap/fair to pretty good pistol safes made for vehicles. They range from around $20 for a small sheet metal one with a key lock and cable for attaching to a seat frame or similar, to built in console models that bolt in solid and made specifically for a particular vehicle to ones that fit under rear seats or beds for several hundred dollars. Any of them would be a huge improvement over putting it in a pocket and hoping it doesnt get found.

Keeping a few hundred in cash and a credit card with plenty open is my version of emergency money. I always keep in the back of my mind on long trips that if my vehicle died, Id get a u-haul and haul it home. Family traditions are nice and all, but sometimes better options come along. Being wise enough to adjust to the current situation is sometimes difficult but is often much more practical and safe.
Are most pistol safes fireproof? I had not thought of those, maybe I could bolt a set of cables or bars that have a really good lock under the bed up on the frame. out of sight..... Then I could also put some of the papers that we also take along with us there. Things like living wills and passports and such. Of course then one of us has to stay alive to retrieve it

Are most pistol safes fireproof? I had not thought of those, maybe I could bolt a set of cables or bars that have a really good lock under the bed up on the frame. out of sight..... Then I could also put some of the papers that we also take along with us there. Things like living wills and passports and such. Of course then one of us has to stay alive to retrieve it

Im not aware of any that are fire proof. The in-home gun safes that are fire proof have 2 layers of sheetrock inside, I dont know the thickness. I think the best option for fire safety of documents is to photograph or scan them and save in various places in devices or cloud, and in flash drives you can have on you at all times and copies in safe places. This also works for important photos. I think having a copy of your vehicle title and registration saved is probably a good idea and may save a complete title search and replacement of one is lost of destroyed somehow, and can help prove ownership if the vehicle were stolen and the originals taken with the vehicle.

I think most current cell phones with cameras can take clear enough pics to use for copying important papers and documents. I close in until the paper pretty well fills the image when i do this. I dont have a scanner, but to send copies of paperwork its been fine. I crop the edges to remove background if I missed getting it close in enough.

The fireproof bag is probably worth looking into, but likely still has practical limitations on actual protection and preservation in a vehicle fire. Id be extremely hesitant to totally rely on one for critical documents, digital copies seems like a hugely safer option.

Last edited:
Im not aware of any that are fire proof. The in-home gun safes that are fire proof have 2 layers of sheetrock inside, I dont know the thickness. I think the best option for fire safety of documents is to photograph or scan them and save in various places in devices or cloud, and in flash drives you can have on you at all times and copies in safe places. This also works for important photos. I think having a copy of your vehicle title and registration saved is probably a good idea and may save a complete title search and replacement of one is lost of destroyed somehow, and can help prove ownership if the vehicle were stolen and the originals taken with the vehicle.

I think most current cell phones with cameras can take clear enough pics to use for copying important papers and documents. I close in until the paper pretty well fills the image when i do this. I dont have a scanner, but to send copies of paperwork its been fine. I crop the edges to remove background if I missed getting it close in enough.

The fireproof bag is probably worth looking into, but likely still has practical limitations on actual protection and preservation in a vehicle fire. Id be extremely hesitant to totally rely on one for critical documents, digital copies seems like a hugely safer option.
Anything we take in the van with us would be copies, we have a safe place in our house. But we know for somethings it is good to have copies for emergency use. Meds. list, living wills, health issues and who to contact if needed. Not that that info will need to be in the safe. But banking info, etc., because I may need it if something happens to him as I don't ever remember those numbers. All that is coded so even if someone gets it they won't know how it works. I will also take photos of some.
Thank you

Get something like this. Bolt it to the frame through the floor in a convenient place. You can just make a small box that fits around it and has a pull out door. It's small, has a fireproof bag, allows a code or key to open it.

ROLOWAY Steel Money Safe Box for Home with Fireproof Money Bag for Cash Safe Hidden, Security Safe Box for Money Safe with Keys, Lock Box Fireproof Safe with Keypad Lock (Silver) https://a.co/d/2PgLNTe

Nothing is foolproof, so don't stress on the perfect solution. This is a much more practical way to go than you are currently using.

Exterior Size: 9'' x 6.6'' x 6.5''. That should be enough to hold your cash and a few papers without taking up too much space. For $40, it's a solid improvement. You can always upgrade if you find you need to

You should have a trusted person who has a copy of your will. My accountant and sister each have one. That way if I became incapacitated and couldn't tell them where to find the original, if it burned with me in a fire, someone would have it.

You should have a trusted person who has a copy of your will. My accountant and sister each have one. That way if I became incapacitated and couldn't tell them where to find the original, if it burned with me in a fire, someone would have it.
Both sons have my info.

I want to put a safe somewhere in our van, but not just in the van, bolted on or welded to or something that will be very hard to get out. We may be dealing with large amounts of cash sometimes from vending and will once in a while need to secure it. Also, Hubby likes to take cash with us when we travel long distances just in case!?!?!? Where do you all keep things? No, I don't need the combo of your spots just ideas. Right now, we have a big dog who stays in the van if we are at a store or? But he also comes walking etc. often so I worry then. Hubby keeps most of it in a secret pocket in his light jacket but that won't work all the time either. Whatever we do I want secured to the van body itself so I'm not just bundling and putting a handle on my valuables. I have a few ideas but not sure.... I know someone can still just take the whole van and I know cash is safest in a bank and other then the emergency cash it mostly will be, but sometimes it is not possible until the next business day so???
Everyone seems to want to tell you to not have cash. They are not answering your question, which is a reasonable one. I would recommend you have something built in to the floor deck somewhere and perhaps disguised under something greasy and oily looking so that no one would want to touch it. This may be visible from underneath so you should particularly disguise it there as well.

I would start by asking yourself if you want to have it easily accessible from the inside of the van. If it doesn’t need to be easily accessible you can perhaps conceal it inside a phony propane tank. Often times vans and pick ups will have propane tanks mounted underneath-long narrow ones. That might be a good place to have a rifle or other firearms as well, provided you could remove an end cap. The seam could be concealed by a strap for example. Magnets could hold it on securely.

if you want it accessible from the inside you could have some sort of a drawer, perhaps by removing an airbag on the passenger side, and Aktivated by a hidden switch. If you look on YouTube you’ll see some clever solutions for that. Whether or not you carry a lot of cash it’s handy to have hidden compartment the store valuable documents such as passports ID, jewelry and watches, or a camera. Good luck and God bless.