Go On the Road or ..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I Travel or

• Travel

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Wait

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
I posted something parallel if not similar to your question.  Where I differed is I was concerned with the state of the nation, and safety near the border.  I was reminded of something that I was supposed to have already taken to heart, in which you've already written "You can make more money, but you can't make more time."
Where I'd say be cautious is if your finances are cause for concern now or when you get back.  Especially if you're not planning on being a full time Nomad.  Right now, I'm unsure, so I left myself a sizeable nest egg that I'm going to keep feeding before I leave.  For me it's a good feeling, if my van breaks down in the middle of the desert, or it's just not working out, I can take a train to wherever the hell I want for some R&R, or plant roots somewhere, pick up where I left off.  
Bob advises to have an emergency savings, not just travel money.  I'm 40.  For me, financial health is something I value, regardless of existential benefits of any lifestyle change.  That doesn't mean thousands of dollars.  It could just mean you can cover rent deposits or house payments when/if you return to being stationary.
Long story short: Consider having a backup, in case the back seat of that Toyota starts to feel a little cramped.

How much is AAA?

Let's say you pay them for 20-years..... no thanks.

I will be my own tow company.

AAA is $86 / year (up to 100 miles distance)
The first year, I had 1 tow
the second, 1 flat tire, and 1 lock-out of my car.
the 3rd, 1 tow

Towing for my car is 260 for 5 miles ( last time I paid that 4 years ago.)

So, yeah, I'll keep paying the $86.
They provide a lot more services too. They will tow someone else's car if you are riding on it as a passenger.
Tow companies are not charities. They work 24/7 and they charge money for it.

I've just never needed it after driving for about 60 years.

You are certainly a lucky ducky then!!!

With my luck I don’t dare

I do my own repairs and keep my Toyota truck serviced as well as anyone can.

I'm quite certain it's one 200 mile tow a year with the Premier membership. I would sure not want to pay for a 200 mile tow.

Don't pay any attention to my previous post.I was drunk.

WanderingRose said:
There are also a lot of discounts with a AAA card.
Tickets of various sorts, campgrounds, museums, etc.
+

Yup, and 12% off for truck rentals, if you are moving.
That's like 2 years of AAA membership in my case.

Which means that if your truck/van is at the shop, you can rent one for $20-40 a day, but cheaper than the other people, and cheaper than a motel.

RoamerRV428,
You tell Silver:
* 'travel all the time',
although Silver could short-term, Silver states a concern about the security of a continuing income.
To achieve your recommendation for 'travel all the time', Silver would need to skip job-to-job while camping in a compact (station-wagon?).
I think you are encouraging a decision outside the Silver comfort zone.
I base this on the Silver admission 'i can be on the road a few months'.
Based on the way I see the post, I think Silver would feel safer with a way to generate income at the next location... prior to leaving the last location.
For Silver to answer the q in the originating post...
...(following my 'The Person With The Problem Is The Person With The Solution' usually-works-best way of letting responsibility flow around/past me fix-all gizmo-thingee theory)...
* I wonder if Silver could register with a regional/national Temp Agency.
* I wonder if Silver could inventory each of the skills, all the experiences of Five Fabulous Decades, expanding the potential incomes (plural) just waiting for a seasoned hand.
How about donning a massive wig and a trunk-full of make-up with a squeak-horn to tell stories at libraries.
It worked for Harpo!

Maybe consider a cook job at a place on CoolJobs?

Travel to a resort destination for a few months, get paid and a place to live, and explore a new area.

You can return to the family after your job is over. If you like it then pick a new place, rinse & repeat.

Guest ranches hire cooks seasonally, usually 5-7 months at a time, including accommodation and food. No expenses for that time (bar insurance and phone) and enough money to get through the other 5-7 months. Really good deal for a good cook. Can work in autumn/winter/spring in AZ, NM etc or May-Sept for those further north...depends on which months you want off or which areas you want to explore

Latest posts