Finally got my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/2, I know you've traveled a great deal, but this may be different. If becoming a nomad, the common scheme is to plant oneself for a while in one place, and then you need to do something with your days. Hobbies, reading, drinking, socializing, or people with large RVs tend to bring everything along as at home. Something to keep the brain occupied. Costs too much to drive 300 miles every day. At home, you have a lifetime of distractions. When boondocking, you find you suddenly have a lot of free time. Interesting change.

Q My main goal is healing and plan a course. I welcome losing the distractions. I want my current world to fall away so I can build anew. I have been here before and I know what works for me. I am a Rock, always have been, this Rock has been on unstable ground before. I thank you for your advice, I welcome and consider it valuable. I am not denying I am vulnerable right now to making mistakes. I still have the resiliency to overcome and correct my mistakes, just a little slower right now LOL.

Yeah, I'm not talking about mistakes, rather future plans. It's definitely good to get away from the old distractions, and plot a new course. Too many people do the same thing in retirement as in former life. Sitting in front of the tube is one of them. I have a generalized view of the typical retired RVer as someone who has simply taken "home life" along with them in the RV ... TV, microwave, local internet, the usual things. 

Those of us in vans have to trim down "stuff" to a bare minimum, and find new ways to deal with time. So, it's a good time for new directions. I don't even have a smart phone, and when on the road, I get internet maybe 2X per week. At home, I'm on the computer for hours every day, mostly working on my projects, and needing breaks a lot for distraction.

I'm a part-timer, and going on my trips is a great distraction. I generally stay away from electronics as much as possible, and mainly sight see, hike, and do a lot of reading that I never get to at home. My 6-week trip last fall involved driving 5500 miles in a loop to LA then Santa Fe, and back home, mainly to see relatives. This winter I intend to stay put more around the lower Colorado River (where it's warm), so need to have plans to spend my time while there.

I want to read a books not a frigging E-book either. I have been meaning to get a book called "The Razors Edge" Some people in my past has related that I should read it, that I reminded them of the main character. I usually dismiss peoples personality references to actors or characters in books. Don't know who the author is but I will find out. I heard it is a good read. If I cannot find it I will read Louis L'Amour books just for entertainment.

HalfShadows said:
 I have been meaning to get a book called "The Razors Edge" Some people in my past has related that I should read it, that I reminded them of the main character. Don't know who the author is but I will find out. 

W. Somerset Maugham...

It was a good film adaptation, too.

There are actually multiple books with that name, but they were likely referring to WSM, as Liv says. I'm not familiar.
- https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=the+razors+edge

There is also one about Shadow Stalkers, so you never know (not my type).
https://www.amazon.com/Razors-Edge-Shadow-Stalkers-Book-ebook/dp/B00EV4YYO4

I have more books than I can read in a lifetime, collected over the years for when I retired. Largely technical, however. I have also been starting to look at the idea of audiobooks to play on my Android tablet as I drive around. There have been a couple of threads on this. There many ebooks around, and some of the sites are turning them into audiobooks.
- https://www.gutenberg.org/

The audiobooks read by real people are far better than a computer read one (I won't listen to the computer voice).

Audiobooks are great for when your driving or parked. Nothing to hold and when parked you can close your eyes and visualize (not while driving!). They make the miles melt away much better than music.

Well back in the hills, got my new heater core. $30.94. Labor would be $500.00 Probably. Thanks Liv I will look up that book. Maybe a book store has it. I used to read a lot. Looks like I will be starting again. Q you should open up a Boon dockers library and I will open up a store in the desert during the winter. When Liv completes her novelette, she can do a book signing at your library.  Trying to think of a good name for your community library.  "Q's Leafs"?  Well now time to install that splendid new heater core. Life at it's fullest- (Choice swear words)

I wasn't actually thinking of going into the lending library business, my books are mostly technical and focused on narrow topics of little interest to most people, LOL. So I just take along a box of books on each trip to read. Audiobooks, OTOH, would be sources like Conan Doyle, Oscar Wilde, and Mark Twain. Gutenberg has those classics in MP3 format.

OTOH, when you set up your theater showing flights over Mt Baker and other places around the world, Liv can come with her slide box of pictures of ghost towns and tell her stories. I'll sell the tickets, and pocket a small commission to pay for my gas!!! You can call it "The Ghost and Shadows Show".

Sadly, there are people out there who will not understand these fine  ideas...

Thankfully, ghosts in stories are never really about ghosts. And so knowing this opens up a broad playing field. 

I'm in!

Everything in life is an experiment. Won't cost much to set up "The Ghost and Shadows" show. A couple of projectors and the outside wall of SnowBunny. If the show closes after one evening, then that's life. OTOH, ya never know. For fun, 1/2 can dress as Guy Fawkes - with wide brim hat. I suppose I can find a 12V popcorn maker, as I have no talent for anything at all whatsoever in a social setting.
- https://www.google.com/search?q=Guy+Fawkes+v+for+vendetta&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

HalfShadows said:
If I cannot find it I will read Louis L'Amour books just for entertainment.

;) I have many L'Amour books here.  My late husband loved westerns.. also have Zane Grey collection.  Too bad I'm in the middle of nowhere w.o a rig, or I could bring them to you Shadow.

max+sophia said:
;) I have many L'Amour books here.  My late husband loved westerns.. also have Zane Grey collection.  Too bad I'm in the middle of nowhere w.o a rig, or I could bring them to you Shadow.
Thank you M+S that would have been grand. :D

max+sophia said:
This is way better. 1/2 can be the guy running the lending library. I think there is no weight limit on some of the priority mail boxes, toss in a bunch of Louis Lamour. 

He has plenty of room in those storage lockers on SnowBunny for books. He's been trying to figure out what to do with all of his free time when out boon-docking. Lending Librarian, bet he never saw that one on the horizon, LOL. People can come and deposit books. I thought I might toss some books on the free-take pile at RTR, but I like this idea better.

Rather than Guy Fawkes, I was thinking Ronald Reaganesque like - Twenty Mule Team Borax. 

Q, you can run the projector and sell the Milk Duds. Maybe get a yo yo - bring the customers in. 

I'll start working on the script.

QinReno said:
Everything in life is an experiment. Won't cost much to set up "The Ghost and Shadows" show. A couple of projectors and the outside wall of SnowBunny. If the show closes after one evening, then that's life. OTOH, ya never know. For fun, 1/2 can dress as Guy Fawkes - with wide brim hat. I suppose I can find a 12V popcorn maker, as I have no talent for anything at all whatsoever in a social setting.
- https://www.google.com/search?q=Guy+Fawkes+v+for+vendetta&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
Q funny you should mention that. When I bought my Camp Chef stove, It came with a Camp Chef Merchandise catalog. In the catalog were several outdoor projector screens. I pondered the idea for awhile. I do love a lot of independent movies. Hmmm. wonder if they have independent technical movies ? Take SB up the side of a mountain set up the theater at night and project on low lying clouds, open up a box of Mike and Ikes (Original of course) and watch a ghost cloud movie.

Guy Fawkes is my personal hero. As for wearing an RR mask, well ...

LivGolden said:
Rather than Guy Fawkes, I was thinking Ronald Reaganesque like - Twenty Mule Team Borax. 

Q, you can run the projector and sell the Milk Duds. Maybe get a yo yo - bring the customers in. 

I'll start working on the script.
I ate a half a box of Milk Duds last night and watched an episode of Downton Abbey before turning in.