Finally got my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey 1/2. In my GMC van, there is 74-76" across in the back once you remove the lashing boards, so enough width to put in a standard size twin or double bed crosswise. Your SnowBeast looks wider across. Some guys do sleep at a slight angle in their van beds. People with vans often buy foam mattresses, and these can be trimmed to fit using a carving knife. I have this one. I also sleep on my side.
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L9QN4G

With all that solar and refrigeration, 1/2, you could start a supermarket in the boonies for boondockers. Since I have minimal solar, I just use a small cooler, and things like meat and cheese will only last about 3 days in general.

I have the Aveline full size bed from Amazon. 8" as well. Full size will allow me to sleep diagonally until I can trim the 2"lip in the recesses, which will lower the bed enough I think. Taking a cutoff tool on the road with me. While prepping to install the bed frame this morning I noticed a liquid that had pooled behind the driver and passenger seats. You guessed it, the heater core is leaking. I am glad I did the drive to Portland. Well another delay.

Yeah, this is why some short shakedown trips around home are always good, before than 8-month long one, you're 100-miles from nowheres, and can't just drive back to the house. Portland was the first. On my first real trip in the van last November, I got a flat coming out of Death Valley on the Panamint Hwy, had to drive 75-miles on the spare, and then another 300-miles home on the spare before I could get a replacement tire. I did get a patch put on the bad tire in Lone Pine, but the tear was so bad, I didn't trust it to drive on that tire. US 395 is not the best place to find all the facilities.
-

I am curios as to what support bars you removed? the reason I ask is because on my service bed once I started off roading it cracked at the rear, where the boxes met the bed. twice I welded it and it would just crack again, each time a little bigger. finally I welded it and reinforced it. it hasn't cracked since. plus I attached my rack to the reinforcement. stop by at RTR and I will show you. highdesertranger

hahahahaha, thanks Reno. I am the one that posted those. duh. I guess he's talking about those vertical straps. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hahahahaha,  thanks Reno.  I am the one that posted those. duh.  I guess he's talking about those vertical straps.  highdesertranger

The lower aft straps HDR

Today I will be tackling the nasty business of removing and replacing the leaky heater core. Alas, another delay. Weather forecast of 10 days without rain, I am stoked.

Yup heater core. Hoses are forward side of firewall and leak free. The piping from the heater core extends through the firewall and leak free externally. The leak is inside the heater core housing, evident by the leak through the seam on the bottom of the housing. As of now I have the instrument panel/dash lifted and heat control cable detached taking a soup break. After break, going to Try and locate the bolts securing the housing to the firewall. Once I have the housing free, I will disconnect the hoses from the forward side of the firewall and remove the whole assy.

I looked at a couple of youtubes on replacing the heater core on a Chevy Express van. Fun. It's just taken me 2 weeks to change some sensors on my favorite hobby robot and rewrite the support code. Oof, I'm ready for a long break in AZ-land. Brain is toast.

Got the heater core out what a treat. Will get a new one tomorrow. I felt like cutting the passenger side dash. I will have to be careful to not damage the plumbing when I install it. It was wedged all the way out.

Never understood why they have to bury heater cores when they coud easly make a removable panel you could get to in the firewall or glove box even the fender well or a false floor board would work.

Right now my brain is on fire. Steady as she goes though. I can get an aircraft up and flying in no time. But getting ready to hit the road not only mechanically and functionality, plus all the financial and legal diversions, my feel good meter is starting to drop off line. I guess I will have to chill and not set a schedule for myself. If I think about it, I don't have to be anywhere at any time, not used to it. When I do hit the road I will probably think WTF, where is this road going and does it really matter LOL.

Speaking of chilling .... Due to real life matters, it took me 3 months after getting my van to get off on the first real journey, being 6-weeks in SoCal, AZ, NM, and back to AZ,SoCal,NV. I did do 2 shorter trips in the meantime. 1/2, you might think about tossing in the mattress and heading out for a week's sojourn while still building. Relax and take it easy. Putter in the van a bit.

Think of it as practice for the next few months. Hey, you might be bored out of your mind after a week, and rethink your whole future. Ya never know. OTOH, you might get ideas for the long run as nomad.

Q I am no stranger to traveling. For years I traveled and I have no aversion to it. Of course when I was gone for awhile I was glad to come home except for once. But now I have no home to come back to, just a house. I welcome the road. Just have to get on it.

Q you will have to bring one of your electronic creations to the RTR. I am impressed at your technical skills and the ability to code as well.