Hello! From a wannabe/soon-to-be traveling horsewoman

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormpony

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm so glad to be here.  I've been following videos and doing a lot of dreaming and planning, and finally I joined the forums (did not know there was one!  I used to be on forums constantly when I was a teenager and I thought that style of communicating had kind of faded away, and I'm thrilled to see that is NOT the case because I am quite comfortable with the format!).

I'm a 30 year old female (no kids, ever) who lives in NYC currently in a small apartment with a roommate, and after moving nearly 15 times in 12 years between 4 different states since I was 18 due to college (I have an illustration degree from SVA), job and financial reasons, I've come to realize that the stationary lifestyle is not for me.  Finally, I got more settled than I had been previously with a job that was my passion and actually made enough to cover my expenses: commercial carriage driving.  I am absolutely incurable for horses and I have my own small horse who I board here in Queens.  Not only do I love the animal itself, but I love the history of transportation and the migratory nature of them, and how they are so deeply tied with human culture.  I think in a past life, I must have been a Gypsy Traveler.  Or perhaps a Mongolian horse nomad.  I love to share horses and history with the public and commercial carriage driving is such a great way to do so.  Plus, it allows me to own a horse because they generate their money to offset some of their expenses.  Owning a horse is expensive (it probably costs a little less than having a child), but a sacrifice I'm very willing to make.  I would MUCH rather have a horse than a house!

So, I've been making that work for 7 years so far, at some stages bartering, working at farms in exchange for living quarters and board for my small horse. THAT was a wild ride with some of the personalities I encountered and to whom I was at mercy.  At one point, I packed up the carriage I own with my belongings and drove my little horse and carriage from my old job/living situation, which I had quit, to my new one which was fairly local.

Now I am back in the city and had a stable (no pun intended) job, to the point that I was able to comfortably cover my expenses, but I began to dream and wonder what life would be like without having to pay rent, and I deeply desired to have a space of my own, which was mobile and had everything I needed with me.  I also had been working myself very hard, 6 days a week for 12 hours a day all said and done, and I hardly had time to spend with my own horse (I am not able to drive my own horse in the park because I work for a company and they only use their horses). I was also SO exhausted at the end of the day that I was absolutely miserable, despite actually loving my job.

So, a balance was needed.  In November, my Kia Soul was totaled in a rear-end accident that was a hit and run. My back is now messed up with herniated and bulging discs, but thank goodness I wasn't injured more than that.  I used the money I got back to put a down payment on my used truck, a 2014 5.7L Toyota Tundra 4x4, which I got with the intention of being able to tow a small horse trailer.  I am paying off that vehicle with a personal loan, which even though it has a high interest rate, it is unsecured so no one can ever take that truck away from me. This was a VERY good call on my part, I must say!  Now, I had a truck, which is an incredibly useful vehicle--so useful that I could tow a trailer AND put a living arrangement in the bed of it!!

So my idea was originally, after budgeting, that I would finance a Four Wheel Camper flatbed pop-up.  I had gotten all the quotes from Maine Line Overland and I was so excited.  JUST as I was getting ready to seal the deal--which of course depended on my same income (BTW, it IS legal to sleep in your car in NYC), COVID-19 broke out, and my job, which if course depends on tourism, disappeared with so many others.

Not knowing what the future holds, but knowing that spending LESS money is always a good idea, I downsized my original plan to building out a truck topper. I ALWAYS pay my horse's board before I pay my own rent.  I swore to myself that I would go without a place to live myself before he didn't have a place to live. I found a high rise in someone's yard for $350. It was meant for a Tundra, but it turned out it was the model before mine, so it wasn't a perfect fit.  However, it is still workable.  Today, some buddies of mine installed an aluminum flange/drip to seal a small gap between the back edge of the topper and the bed of the truck.  Earlier we replaced some missing windows with plexiglass and sealed a very small surface crack, as well as fixed the door.  Other than the windows and door, the topper is in not too terrible shape.

So!  Bit by bit.  Of course things are on hold a bit because of the global situation, but I have been very lucky in many ways and I'm grateful for how things have played out for me so far.  Plus, I have a lot of extra time now to do some good work and planning for my hopeful lifestyle, as well as spend time with my horse!

I've always lived in small spaces so that idea does not scare me at all.  Traveling was instilled in me at a very young age because we lived in Ohio but grandparents were in Michigan and Long Island, plus every summer, my parents traveled to Upstate NY to teach at a summer music camp every single year.  I'm so grateful to have that traveling experience and it always was a good one for me. I have way too much stuff, which is bothersome, but I have a storage unit and I think I'll be able to see how it is to just have the essentials, and slowly get rid of things and clear out the unit.  Or at least downsize a lot.  I'll have the time to do that more as well this way.  After living in a camper shell/topper, any upgrade will feel like luxury!  But I can't wait to truly free myself from clutter, and everything else that we all are running away from.  And most of all I can't wait to have the time to devote do doing what I truly love, with my horse.

In the very long term, I would love to eventually build a Vardo wagon tiny house that can be pulled by a vehicle as well as a horse.  My ultimate rig would be a high top van converted to haul 1 or 2 small horses, and to tow the Vardo wagon.  But in the meantime, truck topper and small stock trailer will do the trick.

Sorry for the excessively long post.  I'm just very excited.

Here are some pics from my life:

My rig (shell is not yet built on the inside). The truck came used with all of those awesome mods like the wheel upgrade/tires and the fender flares etc. steel bumper, bull bars.  I'd like to put airbag suspension in eventually:
vQve9Zrl.jpg

Me at my most current job (until the pandemic):
9NsqxNAl.jpg

My own personal carriage rig and personal horse (this was a parade job we did):
zKzXvFsl.jpg

My two wheel cart I drive around town (and parks upstate):
Sajeziml.jpg

And one more of my little horse:
AfK8eBwl.jpg

Thank you everyone and I hope everyone is staying safe!! <3

Welcome to the CRVL forums Stormpony! Your introduction is one of the most unique that I've seen on the CRVL forums. Can't wait to see how it all works out for you. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Sounds like you will have many a great many paid work camping opportunities around the country with that much experience with horses as well as dealing with tourist.

WELCOME Stormpony. I grew up in farm country so all animals a special to me. But horses are not pets they are part of the family. I am a member of a more modern Plain Church. But I have hundreds of friends who drive the horse and carriage, plow plant and harvest with work horses and mules. My first girlfriend was an large white Arabian named Lisa - she actually got mad if I brought my human girlfriend into the barn when I feed or groomed her - that was the only time she would buck and kick. I miss that horse. I also had a halfliger and a shire named Benny which I rescued from the dog food buyer at an auction. "I love to horse around." It is a shame that horses don't fit into my lifestyle anymore. It's not just living in a van with no barn etc but with my health problems caring for a horse is not an option - proper care of the equine is not an easy hobby.

I never seen a horse in a high top van. The Ford Transit T350 is said to have a load capacity of 3,000 lbs You would have to have custom work done to keep the horse in place during an accident. I can't imagine a flying horse coming at me. Most all two horse trailers have dual axles so they can carry 7,000 lb. No van that I know of will do that.

My vote would be a larger truck and a trailer with sleeping quarters. The setup that you have may be best for the near future. An equalizer tow hitch and air bags for the truck would be the cheapest way to go for a while. The horse can't live in the trailer, so maybe you could make the horse trailer convertible with fold down tables and beds. The openings would be a challenge. maybe tape in screen material for the summer.

I had an ex wife that loved horses. She loved being able to control a larger dumber animal. I figured that one out after I realized it included me. lol

Wow...cool pics and thanks for the insight into something I know nothing about...the horse is a handsome fella....I think you forgot to tell us his name!

The little 2 wheel cart looks like fun, for cruising around the parks and even a little cruise in a semi-rural setting.

Sorry you lost your income....we are all in a bit of a pickle. You're young and have plans and a bright future...hang in there!

:thumbsup:

I loved your post and pics...especially the ones of What's-his-face, the horse. As I was reading, I kept thinking,"That lady needs a Gypsy caravan!" Then I came to the part re a Vardo wagon and actually cheered aloud.You go, Girl! Welcome to our awesome forum.

Danny I have known a lot of horses that were much smarter than their owners, seriously. LOL

highdesertranger

Horses can be smart and they can be not so smart.
They have personalities, likes and dislikes.
Figure out what they like and they'll shine for you.
Try to rule them and they will begrudgingly perform at best.

The ex-wife mentioned above may have received better responses from the horse.

After an English riding class, a mare, a quarter horse draft horse mix with a large head, that I had been riding in class, gave me a gentle butterfly kiss on my cheek with her nose, when I was standing on the ground. Others complained how hard it was to get her to keep moving during classes. They did not know what she liked.

When I was not so advanced and would get tired while trotting, losing my seat and timing, another horse that I had a very good relationship with, would come off the rail into the center of the ring, and stand still, waiting for me to collect myself, catch my breath, then start again. He was putting me into timeout, a therapist suggested. He had a self interest, in that a loose rider was uncomfortable to be under. He was also underappreciated by others.

Welcome!! Very cool intro and pics, thanks for sharing.

wayne49 said:
The ex-wife mentioned above may have received better responses from the horse.
There may have been things she liked about the horse better. Lol

Welcome!

I would go for the 5th wheel stock trailer with living quarters. Or consider getting a used one and doing your own build out. They are notoriously under insulated if you are staying in weather extremes, so the build out gets real insulation in there. 

I have hauled lots of stock & hay in 5th wheels and it is a dream to pull. Not sure if you will find parking for that large rig in NYC. Also consider a semi- you could haul horses on the side. ( Someone on here was doing that as their road job.) Best of luck!

-crofter