Looking at a 1974 Chevy P30 today

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chongolio

Reaction score
Thanks Although not my first choice, I cannot help but be intrigued by the possibilities.

My original plan was a van and trailer, but now having to use trailer money to replace my wrecked E-150

I have been scouring CL for another van since my wreck in Feb with nothing to show.

However, a Grumman step van showed up and is only few blocks away.

After texting with the seemingly knowledgable seller ( who wanted to convert step van into an RV but is now re focusing on his biz) I spent the night researching.

I am feel good about engine and tranny along with simplicity of the mechanicals and will inspect for leaks and rust today.

Main concern is the notoriously horrible MPG and having to drive something this big through cities and into boondocking areas.

Anyways... if y’all have 2 coppers you want to throw into the mix I am all ears.

Here is the post and a pic

f6f6198cde8234d9f056a8e8851b4be8.jpg

$4500.00
1974 chevy p30
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual
1974 chevy p30
condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
paint color: white
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: van
I have this great pre smog step van runs and drives beautifully its got a chevy 350 and a sm465 4speed manual transmission. Its 22ft bumper to bumper.

More info gleaned from texting:

“This van is 22 ft bumper to bumper the same as a 70s Cadillac eldorado and the turning radius is as good as my 2000 chevy Silverado.”

“Nothing cheaper to maintain than this thing. Its just a chevy p30 van chassis and it will need the fuel gauge fixed and one of the flat pieces of glass has a crack but never bothered me but otherwise everything is in great order.”

“There are a lot of options for better mileage. My favourite is the propane conversion everything I've read says you can get up to 25 mpg on propane the conversion comes with a carburetor which allows you to either run gas and propane with a switch in the vehicle to chose which or you can set it with vacuum to use gas at low rpm and propane at high rpm that way you get better torque using gas but better mileage at high rpm with propane.”

“Loaded down with all my things on the trip from Seattle we avaraged 10.5 mpg overall.  I rounded down to an even 10mpg and it makes the math easy to average your range.

Also it has room to add another tank if a guy wanted. I was going to mount a generator under the body there is room everywhere on this thing and all the mechanism are super simple & convenient.”

“The worse thing about this van is at some point in its life someone painted inside with cheap paint and its flaking off the roof pretty bad I was going to sand it down just haven't had time. Its a really solid vehicle we only drive it once in a while. We did drive it from Seattle to Red Bluff back in October and it did great the trip was 14hrs in one day.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the worst part of the deal is parts availability for differential, suspension, steering. And maybe that transmission. Plenty of room though.

ratfink56 said:
Probably the worst part of the deal is parts availability for differential, suspension, steering. And maybe that transmission. Plenty of room though.

I will add that to my list of concerns inquiries.

Saw this near Glacier NP last Summer.  I thought it was sweet.  You could do a trailer later.  Not sure what year it is.

20170604_141724.jpg

Attachments

• 20170604_141724.jpg
    20170604_141724.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
B and C said:
Saw this near Glacier NP last Summer.  I thought it was sweet.  You could do a trailer later.  Not sure what year it is.

A trailer at a later date may become a possibility.

Right now, the options are becoming overwhelming again and the lack of decent van candidates frustrating.

ratfink56 said:

This just in from seller:

“Its all chevy 1ton gear so its very available and its all super easy to get to.
But its all in good condition too.”

P30 parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. They are reliable and pretty easy to work on. Very spartan. The 350 Chevy is the most common American V8 so you won't have troulbe finding parts or knowledgeable mechanics.

They are easy to drive, just slow. The view from them is great.

I have a 1996 P30. Mine is a diesel so I can't comment on how the SBC 350 works with the chassis. I'm going a different route but I really like the step van as a platform for a custom RV.

If it runs well, that price seems within a reasonable ballpark.

Bud Smiley said:
P30 parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. They are reliable and pretty easy to work on. Very spartan. The 350 Chevy is the most common American V8 so you won't have troulbe finding parts or knowledgeable mechanics.

They are easy to drive, just slow. The view from them is great.

I have a 1996 P30. Mine is a diesel so I can't comment on how the SBC 350 works with the chassis. I'm going a different route but I really like the step van as a platform for a custom RV.

If it runs well, that price seems within a reasonable ballpark.

Thanks for your input. I can see a ton of potential with all that space, just uncertain if a big truck is my best option.

I still have my motorcycles, but this cold weather ( I just moved from Hawaii) is making me think differently about them being a main mode of transportation

Be sure to call your insurance agent and a few other insurance companies to get a 'feel' for how much the premiums will be for a commercial vehicle. 

Until and unless you comply with state RV or Motorhome specifications, or can classify it as a private truck, whatever those rules are in your state, it's probably considered a commercial truck for yearly registration and insurance purposes.

Just make sure to do that part of your homework.

BTW, your typical P30 chassis tend to handle kinda weird in the wind, strong sidewinds can be particularly bothersome for the P30. Of course, worn shocks, a worn steering dampener, and worn front end components will make it much worse. There are numerous upgrades available, if you decide to buy it and want it to handle better. 

10 miles per gallon sounds a bit optimistic, but it's possible.

And for sure, good luck to you.

Chongolio said:
Thanks for your input. I can see a ton of potential with all that space, just uncertain if a big truck is my best option.

I still have my motorcycles, but this cold weather ( I just moved from Hawaii) is making me think differently about them being a main mode of transportation

I actually got mine because it seemed like the best way to travel with motorcycles without using a trailer. The other option was truck and trailer, as you already mentioned.

The biggest issue for me is passenger comfort. I don't mind the loud cab but I don't want my girlfriend to have to ride in the little passenger jumpseat for hours at a time. I will be using a SUV to tow a trailer.

If I was solo, I'd keep the step van.

Just my two centavos.

tx2sturgis said:
Be sure to call your insurance agent and a few other insurance companies to get a 'feel' for how much the premiums will be for a commercial vehicle. 

And for sure, good luck to you.

Thanks! Gonna get the vin # and run it by my insurance company as well as ask seller what is on title and how he has it insured

"Probably the worst part of the deal is parts availability for differential, suspension, steering. And maybe that transmission."

don't worry about parts availability. this is a 1974 GM chassis and running gear, plenty of parts available, these are by far the most common running gear out there. and that SM465 transmission is next to bullet proof, aka rock crusher. however no OD. 1st gear is granny, 4 gear is 1 to 1. highdesertranger

Well the van had good bones but unfortunately needed everything else and then some to make it workable. To say it was filthy would be and understatement.

The search continues...

Chongolio said:
Well the van had good bones but unfortunately needed everything else and then some to make it workable. To say it was filthy would be and understatement.

The search continues...

A real shame to let a little dirt scare you off. Remove everything from the inside and take it to a car wash. Use the high pressure to hose everything inside down. 
 Allow me to tell you this about that. If I had the need and the cash, after inspection that thing would most likely be following me home. In my humble opinion you cannot get a better set up to build into a camper. 
 Where is this one anyway? That graphic on it looks mighty familiar.

Ballenxj said:
 A real shame to let a little dirt scare you off. Remove everything from the inside and take it to a car wash. Use the high pressure to hose everything inside down. 

Where is this one anyway? That graphic on it looks mighty familiar.

It was not the dirt that scared me off.

Most if not all the door latches were loose or did not work. The back doors did not lock. The steering wheel and dash board were in sad shape and one of the driver side front windows had a crack running clear across it and the other window leaked.

Taking it to a car wash and hosing out the inside would more than likely then require me to remove all the wood paneling and the now soggy fiberglass insulation.

Yes it nay be a good base for a someone who has extra money and wants a giant project. I am not that guy.

The seller was a real nice guy and very knowledgeable and will find the right buyer.

The vehicle is in Red Bluff, CA

Chongolio said:
It was not the dirt that scared me off.

Most if not all the door latches were loose or did not work. The back doors did not lock. The steering wheel and dash board were in sad shape and one of the driver side front windows had a crack running clear across it and the other window leaked.

Taking it to a car wash and hosing out the inside would more than likely then require me to remove all the wood paneling and the now soggy fiberglass insulation.

Yes it nay be a good base for a someone who has extra money and wants a giant project. I am not that guy.

The seller was a real nice guy and very knowledgeable and will find the right buyer.

The vehicle is in Red Bluff, CA 
 I see. OK, that might make a difference. Good luck with your search then.

Chongolio, if you are still interested in step vans and don't mind coming down south around Monterey/Salinas area, let me know. My 1996 P30 is in good shape, has been partially converted, and I'd sell it for the same price that guy was asking for his '76. Just offering if it'll help you out. Not trying to push it on ya. Send me a message if you have any interest.

Chongolio said:
“There are a lot of options for better mileage. My favourite is the propane conversion everything I've read says you can get up to 25 mpg on propane the conversion comes with a carburetor which allows you to either run gas and propane with a switch in the vehicle to chose which or you can set it with vacuum to use gas at low rpm and propane at high rpm that way you get better torque using gas but better mileage at high rpm with propane.”

I'm not sure how this can be true. Propane has fewer BTUs per gallon than gasoline. My dad had a 1-ton Chevy with a 454 converted to propane. We never got better than 8 mph. Fuel economy went up to 11 mph when we switched back to gasoline. That was back in the early 1980s so maybe technology is better, but propane still has less energy than gas.

Latest posts