My new van 1994 Ford econoline 150

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaketheone46

Reaction score
Have been searching for quiet a while for a Chevy van or a dodge and prefer the early to mid 90s models. As I looked and looked I learned more and more about people and what they consider clean. WOW!! I got to the point where I wouldn’t drive more than a half hour without  many pics and always request pics of the bad only. I kept seeing pics of the seats and of the inside high top section when I wanted to see the drivers seat/ carpet and same with the side and all other entries. I couldn’t find what I wanted then had finally found a local 94 GMC Vandura which had the 5.7 and everything I wanted. All was great but the guy couldn’t find his title. So while waiting for the title I decided I would look more then decided why not check out Ford as well. So glad I did. I found and purchased a 1994 Ford econoline 150 with 19,780 original miles!!!! Unbelievable!! I had to see to believe. This thing has been garaged it’s whole life plus the original owner was a retired ford employee who ordered it specifically how he wanted it with the 5.8l 4sp electronic OD trans and 8.8” rear end 3.55 gear ratio. He was able to make a few trips then his wife became sick and passed then he also passed a year or so later so the van stayed in the garage for years left to his daughter whom got it out and sent it to the dealership to be fully gone through to be road worthy again. The main things I see that they did was replaced 4 dried rotted Tires, disassembled the brakes to grease all pins and sliders, and check absolutely everything coming to 1500 bucks total. The van was listed at 8,000 and I was able to snatch it up for 5 thousand cash. It has the full explorer leather package and it’s all a light grey color interior with all oak wood. So unbelievably beautiful inside and out. I have every single receipt/ service record starting with the original new door sticker and order forms showing what all was ordered and how much was paid. The price came to 42,500 brand new after his discounts. I just had to share this with the forum. I am so excited and can’t wait to enjoy it this summer for camping with my motorcycles. I feel like I won the lottery!!!
Forgot to mention after driving the ford I am very glad I ended up with a ford. It feels so much more powerful than the same era Chevy and dodge with the similar engine. I can go 85 on the highway while barely on the throttle. My previous vans never pulled so well. One was a dodge with a 360 that wasn’t bad but held back by a 3sp tranny. The Chevy I owned before that had the 305 and was definitely not going to make that mistake again.

Q: Why are the latest Fords so aerodynamically designed?

A: It improves the Chevy tow truck's fuel consumption.

Good luck with your almost new 24 year old truck. The only issue I can see is a 351 Ford never passed a gas station it did not like.

Some really neat stuff pops up for sale. I just found, but did not buy, an 85 Dodge van with a 318 and a factory 4 speed in really nice shape. Owner's asking $4000. Your van sounds amazing. Enjoy.

While Jacks18614 is correct, the extra fuel that 351 will burn is worth the mileage you bought the van with.
Your power feeling is largely to do with tight engine/low miles and the 3:55 rear end.
For maximum life and best running, think about refilling with Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetic and having the trans flushed with syn also.
It is a crap shoot as to whether the valve cover gaskets will leak or not...and those are pricey to have done because they are a B!t@h to get to, but even if you develop oil seep and have to pay, that is a very decent truck.
If you synthetic the van (including the rear end) you will gain a little MPG also. Very worthwhile if you plan on keeping it forever.
You going to provide pics or video link? Would be helpful for others shopping to see what you got.
Congrats on the van!

ratfink56 said:
Some really neat stuff pops up for sale. I just found, but did not buy, an 85 Dodge van with a 318 and a factory 4 speed in really nice shape. Owner's asking $4000. Your van sounds amazing. Enjoy.

Wow that would be really cool a manual transmission. I would love it if that was available in these vans

Here’s a pic

Attachments

• FAC294BB-33C4-4BED-A96D-D5F470EA031A.png
    FAC294BB-33C4-4BED-A96D-D5F470EA031A.png
    2 MB · Views: 53
Jdgumbee I will definitely be running full synthetic. I’ve already picked up my Mobil one oil and now need to figure out what to use in the transmission. I do see that they went ahead and did a trans service and filter on my service receipt of the full checkup the van was given at the dealership before it was sold to me. It also says the oil was changed with a synthetic blend. The oil does look brand new so I figure I will at least give it 1000 miles then change it. As for the tranny I’m not sure how quickly I should get synthetic in it or what the dealership would have put in it. The rear end will get done soon as I get around to it as well.

Congrats on the van !! I would like to mention a very cheap trick to getting the most out of everyone's rigs. Get some of the heavy duty strong magnets (like is used for picking up nails etc..about 2 inches in diameter) . Put one on the bottom the oil pan, trans pan and differential. This will keep any and all metal particles from flowing through. The magnets will pull in all out of your units and not let go. The filters will not stop all of it. The metal particles is what causes engine wear. Then when you go to service the unit remove the magnets right before you drain while engine is off. I Promise You This Works. Common sense taught to me by my father who got 400K miles out of his vehicles! Hope this helps yall! I have had them on my f350 for 20 yrs and its at 300K miles. Not a problem from engine block,heads, tranny, or diff. But I have dropped the pans with magnet attached and found a mound of metal particles attached.

^
Put magnets on the oil filter. Then you get rid of the particles each oil change. I use the magnets out of old PC hard drives. Any PC shop will have trashed hard drives they will give you for free.

Jaketheone46 said:
Jdgumbee I will definitely be running full synthetic. I’ve already picked up my Mobil one oil and now need to figure out what to use in the transmission.  I do see that they went ahead and did a trans service and filter on my service receipt of the full checkup the van was given at the dealership before it was sold to me. It also says the oil was changed with a synthetic blend. The oil does look brand new so I figure I will at least give it 1000 miles then change it. As for the tranny I’m not sure how quickly I should get synthetic in it or what the dealership would have put in it. The rear end will get done soon as I get around to it as well.

Congratulations! I hope you get many years of camping with it and make a lot of memories!

That is great news!
Nice looking van!!

The screen is done on the trans...so let me suggest Amsoil for the trans.
The stuff is marketed like snake oil, but having been privy to the fleets paying lots of $$$$ to test them all, turned out it truly is among the best stuff on earth for your van. Royal Purple is also great for engine protection.
Mobil 1, if dumped @ 7500 or so is also a good way to go. (Certainly the most convenient to be able to buy anywhere.)
Look into the Amsoil bypass filter setup if you are keeping it forever. Air filter from them also. Simply amazing system if you catch the engine early, before it gets any deposits in it.

The way to do the trans is with a cooling line disconnect and feed the new stuff into the "sucker" side. Then start the van and let it flow. When the return, which you would have running into a bucket, changes to the sweet pink color...you have all of it flushed out. Even the stuff in your converter. If that is an OD automatic, you will be very glad you did. PRND21 on the shifter means you have a C6, which is one of the toughest autos ever made...so it would be less critical.
The rear end will actually make a difference in MPG when you refill with synthetic.
I would love to let that thing talk a bit. I LOVED the sound of my old '76 Turtle Top camper van after we put the 351 in it. Turbo mufflers with the dual system we installed made it sound like a raspy Nascar, only a little less loud. I figured---if we are paying for all that fuel, we might as well enjoy the music it makes ;) LOL.

For 5K you STOLE than van.
Mrs Gumbee also heartily approves.
Dual exhaust, turbo mufflers and a bangin' sound system would make that like the old "Vanner" setups we used to enjoy at the "truck-ins." (You going to put a CB on the ceiling in front of the huge sunroof? :)
Water bed, mirrors on the ceiling and a mural, perhaps?? LOL
Boston and Steve Miller on the radio, being played by a real DJ...as you chat on the CB...free from cell phones and constant text messages. It was just you, your friends and whoever else was within radio range. Something about that I really miss...ahhh, to go back in time. :)

Looking forward to the interior pictures.

going to try and figure out how I can get more pics uploaded. I think I may be able to load off my imgur. Oh and yes it came with a nice cobra CB and a radar detector too which works better than any other radar detector I’ve used. The cb and radar are kinda annoying when it comes time to put my cover on though. That’s for sure. I was thinking amsoil for the tranny as well. If you see in the pic my little vw sitting by the van has a Amsoil sticker on it. Only reason I run Mobil 1 in the oil department is I get it at Walmart as cheap as 22 bucks for 5 quarts. At that price I change my oil at 3,000 miles max. If it gets dark before that it gets changed earlier. I have been running amsoil In my trans of my vw which is manual. What is the specific trans type I need for this van?? Have not looked yet. I like the wheels and never knew ford even made such a cool wheel. I’ve not seen them on any other ford. It shows them on the original order form too. Very cool and his discount price was only like 350 bucks for the wheel option. And it’s the electronic 4speed trans. Can’t wait till it dries up today I’m getting her out.

Let’s try a interior pic here.
iDzg6Q5.png

If you want more pics let me know, I’ll be taking the cover off and out driving today. The interior and all is mint even the drivers floor mat looks like it’s never been stepped on. It had a brown mat over it which I replaced with a closer matching mat also on the passenger side as well. Then to protect the rear floor I’ve put large beach towels down. This way I can wash them anytime I need too. I removed the bug guard on front being it looked faded. So now am going to have to try and repair the places where it was rubbing the hood from the wind. Plus touch up where the screws were underneath. The very center had a screw that went through the darn hood so gotta fix that too. This baby is going to keep me busy. I absolutely love the van. First time I’ve ever had a ford. So far I like everything about it. I’ve never seen such a gas tank. WOW.