Favorite Meal Prepared Outdoors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owl

Reaction score
Here's mine, anything some one else prepares while I enjoy an adult beverage and offer unsolicited advice.  ;)

We make shrimp boil packs wrapped in tin foil on the fire coals. Diced potatoes, cut corn, diced onions, lots of peeled shrimp, chopped peppers, sliced keilbasa sausage, and garlic/butter with Old Bay seasoning.

We will be camping this weekend, and doing this exact meal along with plenty of beer.

Stew beef, carrots, potatoes, onion, peppers, zucchini with plenty of butter, some spices, wrapped in aluminum foil and thrown over a fire.

Not Fair !! If you don't say where how can I show up and give unsolicited advice ?

Bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee. love the smell in the morning.

location, I am west of the Mississippi, north of Mexico, south of Canada, and east of the Pacific Ocean. find me if you can I will make breakfast.

highdesertranger

HDR, that narrows it down I'm on the hunt. I like marmalade jelly !

owl said:
Here's mine, anything some one else prepares while I enjoy an adult beverage and offer unsolicited advice.  ;)

Indoor or outdoor the above my favorite. -tho my adult beverage has become coffee or water. 
Unsolicited advice offered early and often

In a freezer type ZipLock baggie, put 3 eggs and whatever you want/have for an omelet. Boil a pot of water (use for bathing later), drop baggie into water. Wait about 10 minutes and you have an omelet.

Use a paper plate.
No pots, pans etc are dirty.

I'll have to try that. I met someone on an online games chat room that claimed to cook foods in a ziplock on a skillet because they were in Alaska and it needed little water for cleanup.

I've always been leery of heating ziplocks cuz I use the cheapo ones. But reheating in bags in immersion cookers is industry standard for taco chains and others. I've just wondered what grade and mil restaurant immersion bags are.

XERTYX: the key is to use freezer grade baggies.
Please do try this and report back. :)
I've heard about this for years, but have not yet tried it myself.
Friday, I finally got around to trying out my thrift store 2-buck crockpot, and successfully heated water more than hot enough to prepare an MRE.
I'm open to trying to use it for eggs-in-a-freezer-baggie. :)

LadyJo: Thanks for the timely suggestion!
Bonus goodness for pointing out one can reuse the water. :)
This feels like a worthy subject for its own thread. If you feel so inclined, please start one and tell us more. :)

I've used freezer bags to heat and cook in boiling water for years, works great and clean-up is simple.

XERTYX said:
I'll have to try that. I met someone on an online games chat room that claimed to cook foods in a ziplock on a skillet because they were in Alaska and it needed little water for cleanup.

I've always been leery of heating ziplocks cuz I use the cheapo ones. But reheating in bags in immersion cookers is industry standard for taco chains and others. I've just wondered what grade and mil restaurant immersion bags are.

I use the ones you can put in the freezer, they are a bit thicker. Double zipper.

Hum favorite out door meal.... I like really good hot dogs. The fancy ones. With cheese, and spices and stuff and a good corn on the cob, fresh from the field and some apples on a stick over the fire..... With lots of cinnamon and sugar. And some good fresh hot cider, fresh from my own press. We have this once a year and it will be in about 4 weeks. We also have some apple cake and someone always brings good beans and some one always brings potato salad (not for me). Best meal of the year! We open it for anyone who wants to come and help out. Last year we made about 20 gallons of cider...hope to do better this year.

Smoked Baby back ribs in my Orion Cooker with all the fixins'. Do this when we are in a large group.

Chimichangas.  They are so good and ready in a minute or two. Can be eaten in hand so no fancy silverware to clean up.  I have stopped using dish soap altogether after living in the forest. I hate seeing suds in the rivers. So my cleanup is hot water and scrubbing as needed. Then cool the water before recycling it. For the chimi's, just wipe out the pan.     ~crofter

owl said:
Not Fair !! If you don't say where how can I show up and give unsolicited advice ?
Sorry, we were in Algonac Michigan at the local State Park watching the big cargo ships traverse the St. Clair River....neat place !

Try this, can of pineapple slices. Wrap bacon around them through the hole and grill. WOW ! I dip em in pizza sauce. Buy day old glazed doughnuts, grill em and dip them in chocolate sauce, sour cream, whatever floats your boat.

camping food....Grilled salmon and bacon wrapped shrimp and green salad. Place salmon in wire rack thingy, place over fire or BBQ . Cover with garlic, butter, lemon and dill. Wrap bacon around big shrimp and stick on bamboo sticks. Cook until bacon is done. Open bag of salad and Dress with dressing of choice. Open bottle of your favorite wine and enjoy.